Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] monks farm planning

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
This debate has been had over and over. Shoreham used to be a nice semi-ramshackle, beach town with a village feel. I liked it like that. Now, it’s a perfectly plausible argument to say places must move with the times and new housing is required. Cant really argue.
I’m just saying I don’t like the housing developments with hundred of units going up on land that was once protected. I don’t like the over-crowding, we don’t have the infrastructure to support thousands of new households. I don’t like that there is a vast IKEA being built on once protected land with no discernible infrastructure to support the increase in traffic. I don’t like the type of person that’s moving in and no, I don’t like the way the place is headed.
It’s perfectly reasonable not to want to see a place you love get swamped in people and see it’s once protected wetland and riverside transformed into housing estates. I might be wrong. I might be narrow minded but that’s my view.

A friend who works for the environment agency in East Sussex tells of hundreds of developments going up on land that was once wildlife reserves, wetlands and sacred sites. All now being sold off and concreted over. It’s a very dangerous precedent to set. Land being stolen from the pibkic and sold to developers.
Public rights of way are being closed so these estates can be built. Any way you look at it, that’s not right.

So where do you propose that the ever increasing UK population is housed? Multi storey tower blocks on brown field sites? High priced rental accomodation in the sector owned by capitalists? More public housing, but where?

Forced sterilisation of the type of person you do not like might help, or a reduction in migrants perhaps? Difficult choices I guess.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
So where do you propose that the ever increasing UK population is housed? Multi storey tower blocks on brown field sites? High priced rental accomodation in the sector owned by capitalists? More public housing, but where?

Forced sterilisation of the type of person you do not like might help, or a reduction in migrants perhaps? Difficult choices I guess.

I would prefer they not be housed on (so called) protected land, wetland, protected riverside and once public land.
Does the south really need another IKEA? Is once reserved wetland in quiet Sussex town really the best place for it?

I readily admit there are pros and cons to development. Nobody will convince me this is the right site for IKEA.

As for the types of people. I’m not a fan of yoga mat carrying, labradoodle owning, “soccer-Moms” and city worker weekend warriors in Lycra. I’m merely stating my preference. That’s all.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I would prefer they not be housed on (so called) protected land, wetland, protected riverside and once public land.
Does the south really need another IKEA? Is once reserved wetland in quiet Sussex town really the best place for it?

I readily admit there are pros and cons to development. Nobody will convince me this is the right site for IKEA.

As for the types of people. I’m not a fan of yoga mat carrying, labradoodle owning, “soccer-Moms” and city worker weekend warriors in Lycra. I’m merely stating my preference. That’s all.

IKEA wanted the site in Hollingbury but Brighton turned it down because it was felt the site wasn't big enough and traffic was already heavy with Asda, M&S etc around there.

The nearest IKEA is either Croydon or Southampton, so I, for one, am happy there is going to be one nearer in Lancing. The airport is between the site and the river. It will be income for Tony Bloom, following on from his investment in the Academy nearby.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
IKEA wanted the site in Hollingbury but Brighton turned it down because it was felt the site wasn't big enough and traffic was already heavy with Asda, M&S etc around there.

The nearest IKEA is either Croydon or Southampton, so I, for one, am happy there is going to be one nearer in Lancing. The airport is between the site and the river. It will be income for Tony Bloom, following on from his investment in the Academy nearby.

I’m not a fan at all of what Tony Bloom is doing to Lancing. I know it helps the team but it’s not good for the local environment. Personally I think IKEA is a blight. Most of their cheap tat ends up in landfill, their carbon footprint is immense and they have a questionable history.
But I guess it’s convenient to pick up some cheap picture frames and a cutlery tray.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I’m not a fan at all of what Tony Bloom is doing to Lancing. I know it helps the team but it’s not good for the local environment. Personally I think IKEA is a blight. Most of their cheap tat ends up in landfill, their carbon footprint is immense and they have a questionable history.
But I guess it’s convenient to pick up some cheap picture frames and a cutlery tray.

You obviously haven't shopped in IKEA. There are some cheap products but equally there are very good quality products. My SIL has had two complete fitted kitchens (in two different homes) and I have a solid wood (not veneer) table from them. Don't make generalisations about their products.
It is not MFI.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You obviously haven't shopped in IKEA. There are some cheap products but equally there are very good quality products. My SIL has had two complete fitted kitchens (in two different homes) and I have a solid wood (not veneer) table from them. Don't make generalisations about their products.
It is not MFI.

Please read what I wrote. They do make solid products. They also make vast amounts of tut. Too much of which ends up in landfill. I have shopped there. I haven’t for about 15 years now.
Their carbon footprint, including the car journeys to their stores, is massive. The reason they don’t have livery on their supply trucks is because they believe it would shock people if they saw the amount of trucks they have on the road.
And as for these quality products;

In June 2020, Earthsight published the results of an extensive investigation which showed how illegal timber from some of Europe’s last forests in the Ukrainian Carpathians was being utilised to make furniture giant Ikea’s most popular products.

Their furniture is cheap to produce and is designed to be replaced not repaired. Even the legal wood they use is simply not a sustainable supply. 1% of all wood for commercial use is supplied to IKEA. They really are a force for bade when it comes to their environmental impact.

Please don’t take this as a personal attack. But there is no justifiable advantage to building an IKEA and certainly not in this location.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Please read what I wrote. They do make solid products. They also make vast amounts of tut. Too much of which ends up in landfill. I have shopped there. I haven’t for about 15 years now.
Their carbon footprint, including the car journeys to their stores, is massive. The reason they don’t have livery on their supply trucks is because they believe it would shock people if they saw the amount of trucks they have on the road.
Please don’t take this as a personal attack. But there is no justifiable advantage to building an IKEA and certainly not in this location.

I'm not taking it personally. I love my IKEA bedroom furniture and have never slept on such a comfortable bed, nor had such roomy wardrobes or chest of drawers. All very solidly built.
I know from a wide circle of friends and acquaintances, there is a call for it in this area. As for car journeys, going to Lancing instead of Croydon or Southampton will reduce a lot of footprints.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'm not taking it personally. I love my IKEA bedroom furniture and have never slept on such a comfortable bed, nor had such roomy wardrobes or chest of drawers. All very solidly built.
I know from a wide circle of friends and acquaintances, there is a call for it in this area. As for car journeys, going to Lancing instead of Croydon or Southampton will reduce a lot of footprints.

A drop in the ocean, I’m afraid.
In June 2020, Earthsight published the results of an extensive investigation which showed how illegal timber from some of Europe’s last forests in the Ukrainian Carpathians was being utilised to make furniture giant Ikea’s most popular products.

Their furniture is cheap to produce and is designed to be replaced not repaired. Even the legal wood they use is simply not a sustainable supply. 1% of all wood for commercial use is supplied to IKEA. They really are a force for bad when it comes to their environmental impact.

But it’s happening, I can feel the pile driver when I’m sat in my lounge. This is the way the world had gone, profit over sustainability.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Infrastructure…hasnt caught up that’s the main problem and East St isn’t the High St ..which is still a bit of a mess along with parking

The whole 'parking' thing does my head in. Whenever I've driven down to the town, I've NEVER failed to get a parking space. It might be on one of the roads off High Street, or Pond Road, but I don't have an issue with that. The trouble is people are lazy and expect to be able to pull up pretty much outside the shop they're going to. Those days are long gone.

Must depend how you define 'new developments' I guess. My boy was born at Southlands Hospital in the mid-80s :shrug:

Sorry, that was clumsily written (I was born there too, in '78). I meant the part of the 'old' hospital that was redeveloped and now has a whole load of houses on it. Some of it's still there but, like [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION] says not a lot...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here