Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] monks farm planning

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Noticed the land between Shoreham and Lancing on the coast road is up for sale again "with the potential of 400+ houses".

Just East of the Monks development

Screenshot_20210615_111755.jpg

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Noticed the land between Shoreham and Lancing on the coast road is up for sale again "with the potential of 400+ houses".

Just East of the Monks development

View attachment 137687

More south-east than east - the other side of the railway line to Monks and the training ground. But this will certainly spoil the view from Andy Naylor's back garden.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I thought the Council secured that land to guarantee it, it is also a nature reserve . . .the last proper bit of wetland left, and definitely even more of a flood plain than north of the railway line.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
. Not particularly lovely when driving passed on the A27 though..

You barely see any of it, due to the fact there are huge chunks of chalk blocking your view. Everything West of the river is Lancing.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Massive difference between the names 'Shoreham' and 'Lancing' on an address. Like ridiculous amounts for saying its only a couple of miles.

Used to be the same with Brighton and Shoreham-by-Sea. Our first property was very nearly a one bedroom flat on Stamford Avenue. For the same money (£150kish), we got a three-bed town house about two minutes away from Shoreham-by-Sea station. That place doubled its value in five years as the gap between the two places narrowed.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Easy fix - take the roof off at the top of each wall, then poke a long stick down to knock off the bits of mortar. You could even shove a long rasp down there to shave the bricks down and make the gap bigger.

Five minute job.

:laugh: Brilliant :bowdown:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Used to be the same with Brighton and Shoreham-by-Sea. Our first property was very nearly a one bedroom flat on Stamford Avenue. For the same money (£150kish), we got a three-bed town house about two minutes away from Shoreham-by-Sea station. That place doubled its value in five years as the gap between the two places narrowed.

FUnny you say that, I was in a 2 bed flat in Shoreham for over 7 years, price barely budget, in 99 I traded up to a cottage, which more than doubled in under 4 years, it was the late 90's until the 08 crash that reallly did it bike hikes every year. . .whats struck me in recent years is not the prices escalating so much as salaries not keeping up with the cost of living. I earn virtually the same money I did 15 years ago, calculate inflation and I'm well down. most of us are being slowly bled and shafted whilst being told we're doing fine.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I thought the Council secured that land to guarantee it, it is also a nature reserve . . .the last proper bit of wetland left, and definitely even more of a flood plain than north of the railway line.

I thought so too. Went passed it yesterday and there's a new 'sold' sign up by Oakleys.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I thought so too. Went passed it yesterday and there's a new 'sold' sign up by Oakleys.

I ran past this morning and tried to figure out if they were new or just the old ones left over from last time it was sold before the council bought it back. The wooden stakes look old, the metal ones new, so I'm none the wiser :shrug:

My guess at that time – which looks like it might be true – was that the council realised it had sold it too cheap, so bought it back to make more money from it in the future. Not sure they'd get 400 houses on there, but I guess that's the opening bid to test the water and get whatever they can on there to help meet the new homes quota for the area.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I ran past this morning and tried to figure out if they were new or just the old ones left over from last time it was sold before the council bought it back. The wooden stakes look old, the metal ones new, so I'm none the wiser :shrug:

My guess at that time – which looks like it might be true – was that the council realised it had sold it too cheap, so bought it back to make more money from it in the future. Not sure they'd get 400 houses on there, but I guess that's the opening bid to test the water and get whatever they can on there to help meet the new homes quota for the area.

Sold recently. The whole area is being trashed. It really is a shame. Shoreham has been transformed in the last ten years. It is absolutely heaving on any day of the week.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Sold recently. The whole area is being trashed. It really is a shame. Shoreham has been transformed in the last ten years. It is absolutely heaving on any day of the week.

Don’t want anyone else enjoying it now do we?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I'd agree it's changed a lot, but there are a LOT of positives from it's growth. I would argue that the new developments that have gone up – Southlands Hospital, Brighton Road, the old fuel station on the USR, Ropetackle North, even back to Emerald Quay – haven't exactly ruined the town. In fact, wasn't it recently named one of the most desirable places to live in the UK?

The other thing I find hilarious is that some of the people moaning about it (mostly on FB, to be fair) currently live on somewhere like the Herb Estate, Middle Road (south side) or Ropetackle. Developments that were probably moaned about at the time (certainly, in the case of Ropetackle), but only created due to rising demand...

Shorehamites can't have it both ways. A few years ago, loads were moaning about the death of the High Street and how no-one would come because of shite like the parking. Now more people live here – and places like East Street are thriving – they STILL aren't happy :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I assume it goes without saying that none of the infrastructure has been altered in order to accommodate a huge influx of people.

We're getting a new road lay out connecting the 7 massive new build estates which have popped over the last 5-10 years.

Naturally all the houses have been built and sold.

The road in question will still be the same, just a bit wider and with no pedestrian crossing stopping the cars.
I believe there will be a cycle path, but not one that connects to anywhere you'd wish to safely cycle too, like into one of the 4 effected towns/villages or I don't know say, THE BEACH.
The road has been under construction for a year with still a year to go.
No sign of any new schools, doctors or local to the estate shops.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'd agree it's changed a lot, but there are a LOT of positives from it's growth. I would argue that the new developments that have gone up – Southlands Hospital, Brighton Road, the old fuel station on the USR, Ropetackle North, even back to Emerald Quay – haven't exactly ruined the town. In fact, wasn't it recently named one of the most desirable places to live in the UK?

The other thing I find hilarious is that some of the people moaning about it (mostly on FB, to be fair) currently live on somewhere like the Herb Estate, Middle Road (south side) or Ropetackle. Developments that were probably moaned about at the time (certainly, in the case of Ropetackle), but only created due to rising demand...

Shorehamites can't have it both ways. A few years ago, loads were moaning about the death of the High Street and how no-one would come because of shite like the parking. Now more people live here – and places like East Street are thriving – they STILL aren't happy :lolol:

Infrastructure…hasnt caught up that’s the main problem and East St isn’t the High St ..which is still a bit of a mess along with parking

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
I assume it goes without saying that none of the infrastructure has been altered in order to accommodate a huge influx of people.

We're getting a new road lay out connecting the 7 massive new build estates which have popped over the last 5-10 years.

Naturally all the houses have been built and sold.

The road in question will still be the same, just a bit wider and with no pedestrian crossing stopping the cars.
I believe there will be a cycle path, but not one that connects to anywhere you'd wish to safely cycle too, like into one of the 4 effected towns/villages or I don't know say, THE BEACH.
The road has been under construction for a year with still a year to go.
No sign of any new schools, doctors or local to the estate shops.

In terms of schools, there is a surplus of school places in both B&H and West Sussex. Many schools in B&H are having their available places reduced against their will as there aren't the pupils to go around.

Shoreham High Street could be pedestrianised or at least only open to buses and taxis. People need to be forced to have less reliance on a car. The number of people and infra-structure isn't actually the problem, the number of car journeys people make is.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Don’t want anyone else enjoying it now do we?

This debate has been had over and over. Shoreham used to be a nice semi-ramshackle, beach town with a village feel. I liked it like that. Now, it’s a perfectly plausible argument to say places must move with the times and new housing is required. Cant really argue.
I’m just saying I don’t like the housing developments with hundred of units going up on land that was once protected. I don’t like the over-crowding, we don’t have the infrastructure to support thousands of new households. I don’t like that there is a vast IKEA being built on once protected land with no discernible infrastructure to support the increase in traffic. I don’t like the type of person that’s moving in and no, I don’t like the way the place is headed.
It’s perfectly reasonable not to want to see a place you love get swamped in people and see it’s once protected wetland and riverside transformed into housing estates. I might be wrong. I might be narrow minded but that’s my view.

A friend who works for the environment agency in East Sussex tells of hundreds of developments going up on land that was once wildlife reserves, wetlands and sacred sites. All now being sold off and concreted over. It’s a very dangerous precedent to set. Land being stolen from the pibkic and sold to developers.
Public rights of way are being closed so these estates can be built. Any way you look at it, that’s not right.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Must depend how you define 'new developments' I guess. My boy was born at Southlands Hospital in the mid-80s :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here