Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Money for nothing

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Ok, i get it, if the recipient is earning 200k a year, he could claim he did not notice the 1k extra a month going in, where as if the recipient is on benefits it would be a lot harder to convince that they didn't notice.
On a separate note, can the recipient use "confidentiality" to hide from the payee to escape a law suit being filed for the return of the money?
Or can they go to the court to get a court order for the bank to reveal the identity?

The recipient is anonymous under the DPA unless a DPA Disclosure Request was submitted by the police, as I understand it - I may be wrong there. Your first argument regarding the recipient's income is a logical/moral viewpoint rather than a legal one but might be considered by a court, yes. Other posters in this thread know more than me about 'retaining wrongful credit' which I admit I haven't come across, but again it may be open to interpretation, I don't know the criteria/definition. My job is similar (some crossover into this area) but I'm not legally trained so this is only the information I've been given in a similar scenario!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If the poor bugger who found a lottery ticket blowing down the street and didn't hand it in (would you?) could be foung guilty of theft and (I believe) be sent to prison, then surely the person who spent this person's £26K can be prosecuted too? (though somehow I feel the words stupid, own and fault should apply)

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
I'm still desperate to know how you do this.

1/4 of £50k is £12500 p.a, meaning on average each person earns £6250 a year.

Thats £520 a month. Divided by 4 thats £130 a week. Thats £3.72 an hour in a 35 hour week.

Are you SURE?

* Don't mean to be rude re: asking about money. I'm just IMPRESSED.

I'm with you on this!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here