Money for nothing

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I don't believe this story - too much doesn't add up, literally. Was she wearing a Brighton hoody/jacket at the time?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Two things.

She is stupid.

He is stupid.

LE19

I thought account numbers included "check digits"? These are used for a complicated validation calculation with the other digits, in such a way that you'd be unlikely to get a valid number by typing one digit incorrectly.

I thought account numbers included "check digits"? These are used for a complicated validation calculation with the other digits, in such a way that you'd be unlikely to get a valid number by typing one digit incorrectly.

Some convuluted formual known as "modulus 11" somehow validates the branch sort code with the account number (last two digits I think). If you are unfortunate enough to choose the "right" wrong number it may still validate.

....Still find the story a bit strange tho'

LE19

Some convuluted formual known as "modulus 11" somehow validates the branch sort code with the account number (last two digits I think). If you are unfortunate enough to choose the "right" wrong number it may still validate.

True, but I thought the idea is that it wouldn't validate if any ONE digit is wrong, because of the "weighting" that is applied to each digit. You might (unlikely) be able to guess a valid number with several digits changed.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Certainly used to be the case with credit cards , transposed or substituted digits would fail the algorithm check.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Spare a thought for the innocent victim that's now losing out on their £1k/month bonus.

True, but I thought the idea is that it wouldn't validate if any ONE digit is wrong, because of the "weighting" that is applied to each digit. You might (unlikely) be able to guess a valid number with several digits changed.
Yes, I think the last digit of a credit card is a check digit, but I'm not sure how it works.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Back on the game to feed their £250 a week habit ?
Exactly. Like a divorce case, the Donaldson's should be ordered to keep paying the £1k, to keep the victim in the lifestyle they've become accustomed to.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Interesting. So what the bank is saying is that if you get money into your account that doesn't belong to you, spend it quick.
Is there really no way that the bank have to tell the name of the recipient?

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
no crime though. no one fraudulantly accessed their account, she put the money to the wrong account number.

though there is one thing odd - going to the receiving account to setup money to go into it. in my and missus banks you can only do it the other way, from the source bank send to the recipient.

When a bank puts money into the wrong account they take it right back so what is so different here? They must know who's account it went into if it is a standing order/direct debit.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Hmm, Nationwide... I could see there being a problem if this is one of those 'accounts' where a block of customers have the same sort code and account number, with each customer having their own reference number. She gets the account number right, so the money gets into the pot (the account) without problem - but she cocks up the reference number so the money then gets credited to the wrong person.

Still doesn't explain how you could possibly miss a grand each month though!

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
This is a criminal offence that should be dealt with by the police alas I suspect the woman wants her money back now rather than go throught the protracted process of a police investigation and is trying to force Nationwide's hand albeit they are not strictly liable for her stupid error.

Dishonestly retaining a wrongful credit is a criminal offence and designed precisely for this purpose. Basically if money appears in your account and you know it shouldn't be there or is not yours and you do nothing about it to rectify the matter then you commit the offence. If the person in this case has withdrawn the money and spent it she is most definitely guilty of this offence and may also be guilty of handling stolen goods which the money becomes once it is withdrawn. This woman needs to go to the police instead of wasting her time with Nationwide.

The Theft Act 1968, s. 24A states:

(1) A person is guilty of an offence if—
(a) a wrongful credit has been made to an account kept by him or in respect of which he has any right or interest;
(b) he knows or believes that the credit is wrongful; and
(c) he dishonestly fails to take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to secure that the credit is cancelled.

Free legal advice provided courtesy of NSC!

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
though there is one thing odd - going to the receiving account to setup money to go into it. in my and missus banks you can only do it the other way, from the source bank send to the recipient.

If you're setting it up FROM the receiving account, how can you get the number of that very account wrong? Doesn't make any sense at all.

My own experience of this sort of thing was when I changed banks and my HR department managed to get my account number wrong when they updated their details. My money went into a holding account as the bank didn't know what to do with it. It took me a couple of hours to nuotice - and that was in the days before internet banking. Despite working out what had gone wrong the very day (payday, obviously) that it had happened, it still took over a week for it to end up in my account.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports