Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Monarch to go bust?

Jul 7, 2003
Speculation on PPRUNE forum (Professional Pilots Rumour Network) seems to confirm that their is a strong suspicion that Monarch are in trouble. Several unusual aircraft movements noted and also that stock market need to be informed at 7:30am on Monday if they are going bust. Coincidentally, reported that all Monarch aircraft will be on the ground in the UK at that time.

Hope its not true but this is the time of year when charter reliant airlines tend to go belly up.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
I would be surprised to be honest, fuel at its lowest cost for a long time would breathe life into a struggling business. Having said that, I flew with them in June and was not impressed at all.

Jul 7, 2003
I would be surprised to be honest, fuel at its lowest cost for a long time would breathe life into a struggling business. Having said that, I flew with them in June and was not impressed at all.

It appears that the holding company who own Monarch have been trying to sell them for a while and have now given up.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Interesting that monarch have switched to telling concerned people their flights are atol protected rather than that there is no truth in it

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Doesn't Help everyone whose delayed is now trying to sue airlines

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
It appears that the holding company who own Monarch have been trying to sell them for a while and have now given up.

I didn't know they were trying to sell, that's interesting. I suppose the timing does make sense, reap the rewards of summer and close shop before the loss of winter.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Speculation on PPRUNE forum (Professional Pilots Rumour Network) seems to confirm that their is a strong suspicion that Monarch are in trouble. Several unusual aircraft movements noted and also that stock market need to be informed at 7:30am on Monday if they are going bust. Coincidentally, reported that all Monarch aircraft will be on the ground in the UK at that time.

Hope its not true but this is the time of year when charter reliant airlines tend to go belly up.

Great acronym.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I think I remember Monarch nearly going belly up a few years ago maybe badly run.
Lots of airlines now. I have flown Monarch, decent enough but flying short haul I don't care as long as it is on time and gets me there at the cheapest price safely.
I have no loyalty to any short haul airline.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Monarch aren't publicly traded company though.

Did find this from earlier in the summer

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/greybull-c...h-airlines-seeks-35m-short-term-loans-1567596

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
A good friend of mine worked for Monarch, I've dropped him a message about it. Ironically, he now works for Easyjet in fatigue risk management... which is very heavily involved in their strike talk at the moment. Coincidance, I believe. :thumbsup:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
How much did you get back if you don't mind me asking?

Reading a lot of horror stories of people getting next to nothing back.

The flight had been paid for so still using it as checked it is ours, the hotel and transfer were refunded but only because I did what I always do with any large purchase where possible paid by credit card which gives you the insurance although naturally your card company ensures you pay more.

After much badgering of Tescos to do something eventually they did so just rebooked the hotel and transfer direct, Low Cost Holiday have 45 days to dispute the payback but they won't roughly £700 refunded back to credit card. Funnily enough Tescos mailed me Friday and asked if I would like to resolve my dispute now, very shambolic at times but all sorted in the end.

D Block blue

Feb 23, 2009
West Sussex la la la
They are denying everything on Twitter - saying rumours "not true"

https://twitter.com/Monarch/with_replies

If this is the case then there is something seriously wrong with social media. Although Monarch could of downed the rumours hours ago, so begs the question about what their press office have been doing all afternoon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Sounds like scaremongering.

How does that explain jumbo jets from the US being sent into European resorts, with the same scheduled departure times and destinations as Monarch flights?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here