Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Monarch to go bust?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
and relax!!

The Civil Aviation Authority has extended Monarch Airlines' ATOL licence, amid "negative speculation" over the future of the airline.

Monarch chief executive Andrew Swaffield said: "I am delighted that we have been able to come to an agreement with the CAA on the extension of Monarch's ATOL licence and am excited about the additional capital coming into the group which will help us fund our future growth.

"I am immensely proud of the professionalism of the Monarch team."

Jul 7, 2003
Good news for now - I hope the future is secured but the wording on the BBC site from the CAA seems very cautious and it is only a temporary licence that they have been granted

Greybull has now put extra funds into the airline, enabling the CAA to grant a temporary extension to the airline's licence until 12 October.
By that time Monarch is confident it will have secured the "largest investment in its 48-year history".

In a statement the CAA said it was able to extend the licence "by requiring the shareholder to provide additional funding and because customers' money will be protected".
"Monarch now has 12 days to satisfy the CAA that the group is able to meet the requirements for a full Atol licence.

"Monarch will remain Atol-licensed until this extension expires. The CAA always advises consumers to ensure they book Atol-protected air holidays and consumers who choose to book an Atol-protected flight or holiday with the company during this time will continue to be protected by the Atol scheme."

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Any more insight into this situation ahead of the 12 October deadline? I'm tempted to book some flights with them as cheaper than EasyJet for a November holiday. Obviously it's a risk but I'm unclear as to how much of one. Not worried about losing the money as ATOL protected but would have to rebook flights to get to our destination.

Jul 7, 2003
My misses works for monarch and has done for 18 years and has heard some very positive things pending the big announcement on wednesday so fingers crossed

I hope it all works out but Wednesday is the deadline set for the end of the extension so they are cutting things very fine.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Any more insight into this situation ahead of the 12 October deadline? I'm tempted to book some flights with them as cheaper than EasyJet for a November holiday. Obviously it's a risk but I'm unclear as to how much of one. Not worried about losing the money as ATOL protected but would have to rebook flights to get to our destination.

Would make sense to hold fire on your booking until 13th October shirley? I'm still being bombarded by email offers from Monarch (more in the past fortnight than in the last couple of years combined). The suspicion lingers that they're trying to scoop up as much short-term money as possible in a less than responsible way. For sure, their prices are very tempting, and some decent more unusual destinations also, but if the offers are genuine, they'll still be there on 13th October. At that point, I'll be more than happy to book with them.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Would make sense to hold fire on your booking until 13th October shirley? I'm still being bombarded by email offers from Monarch (more in the past fortnight than in the last couple of years combined). The suspicion lingers that they're trying to scoop up as much short-term money as possible in a less than responsible way. For sure, their prices are very tempting, and some decent more unusual destinations also, but if the offers are genuine, they'll still be there on 13th October. At that point, I'll be more than happy to book with them.

I was nervous and then found the same hotel via BA holidays for great price so have booked with them. It did feel like a gamble going with Monarch and even though they once left us stuck in Sharm for 27hours I do hope they survive, easyjet and the rest need competition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here