Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Moises Caicedo - New contract signed until summer 2027 with 1 year extra option.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I think it's a clever thing to say by RDZ. It shows Brighton have no intention to sell now, but also leaves it open to all clubs that we will listen to offers in the summer. This will work in our favour if we do reach a European place, and the likes of Chelsea fail. His value will increase further. Also reaching Europe is likely to result in added bonuses etc. We become an even more attractive team for incomings.

For Caicedo it makes little difference, staying with us for another 4 months is not going to impact on his future in a negative way. At the end of the season he and us will have a far better idea of the way forward. His value will only increase, serious injury aside. Especially if we can get him on an improved contract.
What will Caicedo do if (when) we qualify for the Champions League?

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
What will Caicedo do if (when) we qualify for the Champions League?
Sky bet now have us at 8/1 for champions league. That is amazing isn’t it? Half way through the season and little Brighton are 8/1.

If we qualify for champs league then players leave for clubs who don’t qualify but pay more then at least we can stop pretending that players “dream of playing champions league” rather than “dream of maximising income”

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The bidding war now has a starting price;

I wonder what else Chelsea want. A new ground near the coast and nearer to most of their fans perhaps ?
I think he will go for double in the Summer. Somewhere decent like Liverpool or Barcelona rather than that bunch of chavs.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Another season with us (especially if we do manage to bag a place in one of the European competitions) would in no way hinder Caicedo's career - in fact it would probably enhance it, and I'm sure we've got enough loose change knocking around to pay him another £10 or even £20K a week as a softener. He'll still get his move that will ensure that when he retires he never has to work again as long as he lives.
Same applies to Mac - and the pair of them, playing together as one of the finest CM pairings in the PL, can further enhance their reputations (and the value!) and set themselves up for life.
Trouble is, that's 'jam tomorrow', a concept that's completely alien to football agents. Hopefully both lads have the sense and character (and families round them with equal values) and can stand up to the greed of their agents, but I admit that's probably pretty much a forlorn hope.
Sadly, the agents just don't think that way, I'm afraid - in fact, I'm not even sure they think at all - all they see is money. :(

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
I think leaving the inkling that he could go now may be part of the clubs plan. It would draw out bids and create a minimum starting point for the summer. Anyway let's just grab that Champs League spot off the Geordies and then convince him to stay.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think leaving the inkling that he could go now may be part of the clubs plan. It would draw out bids and create a minimum starting point for the summer. Anyway let's just grab that Champs League spot off the Geordies and then convince him to stay.
I'd like him to stay another season too, but De Zerbi seemed to be saying that he's going in the summer anyway, which was disappointing.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I'd like him to stay another season too, but De Zerbi seemed to be saying that he's going in the summer anyway, which was disappointing.
Think it depends how you view the comment. De Zerbi stated he wants him to stay this season. There's half a season, +1 game, to go. We haven't got a clue where we'll be at the end. If we are in Europe and especially if we manage to get into the top 4, TB will again hold the cards. He will need to accommodate players wishes but also the expectation of our future success will cause its own problems, as such. The whole squad will be looking at their contracts. I'm sure there's plenty of caveats in their deals that cover achievements. Player costs will rise, we would also need to ensure the squad is able to deal with the extra games.

So him going in the summer isn't a given. Him going in Jan is unlikely as TB/PB can flatly refuse to sell, the player really would need to throw his toys for a change to happen. We can be sure he has been spoken to about the club's expectations.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Almost every player will go to improve his position asap, the chance may not come again only if 3 months later. Preferably before his intended's team's next game!!!

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I'm sure all the rumours and speculation being generated by other clubs is, in part, being done to unsettle our team and players.
Absolutely. Chelsea will know that if they put in a bid now that they expect to be rejected, it still puts the idea of Caicedo joining Chelsea into his head & he has the rest of the season to think about it. It's our job to counter that by showing him how good he has it here, and probably offering him a new contract in the meantime.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Absolutely. Chelsea will know that if they put in a bid now that they expect to be rejected, it still puts the idea of Caicedo joining Chelsea into his head & he has the rest of the season to think about it. It's our job to counter that by showing him how good he has it here, and probably offering him a new contract in the meantime.
Agreed - make him our first £100k a week player , assuming one doesn’t exist already

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
i think we should just enjoy him while he is here and be prepared for him to move in the summer. Simple as that.
I'd agree with this. And not break the wage structure by offering him a new contract on huge salary (yes a new offer within our structure but not greatly above). We are peaking at the moment but with all the sales can we sustain it? (in particular if injuries to Perc, Fergie or Welbeck).

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Agreed - make him our first £100k a week player , assuming one doesn’t exist already
Im not one for us breaking a wage structure over one player, but by all accounts right now Moises is at the lower end of it. A bit of a guess but maybe he's on around £30k pw, and the highest earners are on £70/80k pw week. If we're serious about him staying i'd see no problem giving him a serious hike to match those highest earners, he is after all a starting centre mid for club and country & if sold would easily be the highest fee we've ever received.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The problem is if you’re turning down £55M bids, you better be following that up with a big contract offer that reflects his value

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
If true at all Potter can f*** off even more. Taking Winstanley etc too - but it was down to him. Unsettling our players. Leave us alone and do your own work you bunch of utter bellends.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
We also seriously need to think about how Mac and Moises will be replaced. So far we've done well at having replacements at least as good. There is currently nobody close to them in reserve. Not even close.

Diallo

Jan 3, 2021
We also seriously need to think about how Mac and Moises will be replaced. So far we've done well at having replacements at least as good. There is currently nobody close to them in reserve. Not even close.
And then once we’ve found Caicedo’s and Mac’s replacement, who’s going to replace the replacements when they get signed up in the next following 12 months?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here