Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Moises Caicedo - New contract signed until summer 2027 with 1 year extra option.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I really don't buy this 'Caicedo wants away' stuff. He was manipulated by his agents in their pursuit of big profits. From what I've seen of him in the games he's played since January he looks fully committed and happy to be on the pitch with us. Something that Trossard never did after the WC.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm sorry, I still don't get it...

1. Huge pay rise. Assuming he still wants away, and I don't see why he won't, then that's a pay rise for a few months. But to earn a few quid more for a few months, he's had to cede a lot of control to the club.

2. "A promise that he can go when the right deal is struck" - he already had that - it's exactly how the club operate, as we know. The only way he could have a cast-iron promise worth anything is a release clause, and the Albion won't do that. So he has no extra "promise" at all.

3. He didn't give a shit about his age and development five weeks ago - he won't have had a sudden epiphany.
3. The new agent was a money obsessed shit stirrer who got to Caicedo, along with Edu through illegal tapping up. The infamous Instagram post from ‘Caicedo’ spoke of being pleased to give us a record fee … that wasn’t the language of a 21 year old young man. Perhaps, with family and friends eg Estupinan, he’s now shut out the external noise trying to rush him through a career defining move?

He’s now, on paper, got 4.3 more years with us. If he maintains his form, I doubt he’ll stay with us anywhere near like that, likely to depart years before. The Edu’s of this world will be promising £160k a week, CL football and medals. I’d love to be wrong.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Had discussed this a lot but I think you’re wrong. In fact, name me the last English player to move on a release clause?

Jack Grealish?

*edit* beaten to it and yes I get you: they’re rare in English football.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
He only signed to this current agent for two years. They don't have much time to cash in.
But they’ve just cashed in on his huge new 4yr contract.

They’ll now get the payout they wanted in January (albeit a small fraction) in the knowledge that Moises will surely dump them in two years having been flipped by Bloom & Barber:
Exactly…so they need his increased wages now

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
50CE1166-175E-4D26-BD40-96E98B5102C0.jpeg

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
But they’ve just cashed in on his huge new 4yr contract.

They’ll now get the payout they wanted in January (albeit a small fraction) in the knowledge that Moises will surely dump them in two years having been flipped by Bloom & Barber:
Yep, but ended up with a hugely better outcome for us, and a potentially much crappier one for them.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

1. Huge pay rise. Assuming he still wants away, and I don't see why he won't, then that's a pay rise for a few months. But to earn a few quid more for a few months, he's had to cede a lot of control to the club.

2. "A promise that he can go when the right deal is struck" - he already had that - it's exactly how the club operate, as we know. The only way he could have a cast-iron promise worth anything is a release clause, and the Albion won't do that. So he has no extra "promise" at all.

3. He didn't give a shit about his age and development five weeks ago - he won't have had a sudden epiphany.
It’s simple - he’s realised he was poorly advised. He’s happy at the Albion. He’s happy to stay for another year or two and develop. He’s basically finally found some sense!

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022

Well Brighton has a image of being a team that won’t stand in a players way if they want to move on and we did sell Trossard, so Caicedo might have felt a bit hard done by, especially if Arsenal win the league (whether a PL winners medal after a few
months is earnt is a different debate). I think there is a recognition that he has earnt a payrise and maybe an element of sweetening up for him.

I am not sure it changes a lot in the summer. We’d still sell if someone comes in with the right money, this just makes sure we continue to get the right money for him.

Arsenal showed that teams are actually willing to pay big money for him, even though he didn’t go in the end. He’ll be getting told that signing the deal won’t harm his chances of moving and they’d probably be right.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Not sure why some feel there is a real adversarial nature to the negotiation.

Tony and Paul haven’t mugged off some stupid agent and rookie player. He’s just been given a £50,000 per week pay rise!

Bear in mind his value was already ~£70m. He’s not now worth twice that, but we can certainly fend off bids up to £80/90m. And from Caicedo’s side, he can continue to play in the first team in the Premier League, and can go into salary negotiations for his next role in a strong position.

The next club probably needs to give him £125k pw or more. This additional 1-2 year stay with us doesn’t hurt him at all, at his age, if he backs himself.

And perhaps Potter, Cucurella and Bissouma’s struggles also shine a light on his BHA is a pretty decent medium term option.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Well Brighton has a image of being a team that won’t stand in a players way if they want to move on and we did sell Trossard, so Caicedo might have felt a bit hard done by, especially if Arsenal win the league (whether a PL winners medal after a few
months is earnt is a different debate). I think there is a recognition that he has earnt a payrise and maybe an element of sweetening up for him.

I am not sure it changes a lot in the summer. We’d still sell if someone comes in with the right money, this just makes sure we continue to get the right money for him.

Arsenal showed that teams are actually willing to pay big money for him, even though he didn’t go in the end. He’ll be getting told that signing the deal won’t harm his chances of moving and they’d probably be right.
With his career trajectory, he might fit into any first 11 sooner rather than later. I’m including Bayern, Real or Barca. We know that Latin American players often dream of playing for Barca or Real.

Far better for Caicedo at just 21 to just get on with his football and make that key decision a bit further down the line. That is, not being railroaded by Edu and the two shysters looking for their life changing cut,

Last edited:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
In among all the probably realistic speculation that this is just bumping up Moises' price there is one more pleasing scenario. Maybe, just maybe, he's been persuaded that for the next couple of years Albion do intend to have a real go, try their best to keep one of the best Premier League midfield pairings together, hang on to a terrific left winger and superb young striker and see where it takes us. All of which, plus signings in a couple of key positions, would also help us keep the manager too. It's unlikely but not impossible if Tony Bloom decides this is an opportunity we may never see again.

Last edited:

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
With his career trajectory, he might fit into any first 11 sooner rather than later. I’m including Bayern, Real or Barca. We know that Latin American players often dream of playing for Barca or Real.

Far better for Caicedo at just 21 to just get on with his football and make that key decision a bit further down the line. That is, not being railroaded by Edu and the two shysters looking for their life changing cut,
I don’t disagree but I guess football has an element of short-term thinking in that they could get a career ending injury, or that he feels he needs to play Champions League as the next step (who knows, maybe at. Brighton??)

I don’t think fans have all the information to judge what is best for the player tbh - only he can decide that as an individual.

We dislike his agents and think they are leading him wrong but in the end he stayed and got a big payrise out of it, so maybe they do know what they are doing for him after all?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That's really all I can put it down too - the agent either pushing through a deal to line their own pockets or they've stuffed up. If Caicedo does want away ASAP he's just made it more difficult for that to happen.
Not sure he has, it’s just bumped the price up. To Chelsea, United, Liverpool, maybe a European giant another 20 million won’t scupper the deal imo. Moises earns much better money for 3 months, the agent pockets his percentage of the higher fee and Albion hold the whip hand on a transfer they won’t block if their price is met.

He’s gone this summer imo

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don’t disagree but I guess football has an element of short-term thinking in that they could get a career ending injury, or that he feels he needs to play Champions League as the next step (who knows, maybe at. Brighton??)

I don’t think fans have all the information to judge what is best for the player tbh - only he can decide that as an individual.

We dislike his agents and think they are leading him wrong but in the end he stayed and got a big payrise out of it, so maybe they do know what they are doing for him after all?
Imho he would’ve got a new contract and pay rise, at anytime he wanted, as the club gain more possibly with the new contract length. The quality and integrity of agents will vary. The jury’s still out on the pair.

In January a nsc’er kept telling us that Caicedo’s just one tackle away from a career ending injury, that it was immoral to make him a prisoner and deny him a title at Arse. Some barely veiled affection for Arse ;)? The days of those injuries are thankfully few and far between now, sports science has progressed.

He’s only 21, 3 years younger than Rice and Mac Allister, the world is his if he keeps on working hard. With our other Ecuadorians, Caicedo is with friends here for a year or two more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here