Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Moises Caicedo - New contract signed until summer 2027 with 1 year extra option.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
The only possible negative to this is that as others have said
maybe there’s still a player there who wants to leave, but more bad advice from his agents has meant accepting the money in a new contract (because they’re so money hungry) but overall it hurts his chances of leaving & will upset the player in the long run.

Maybe something along those lines could be true but I would say even the most naive player would see a contract extension as a backward step if they were chasing a move…

Hopefully it’s many more years of Caicedo!!

Last edited:

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
one tackle away from a career ending injury, that it was immoral to make him a prisoner and deny him a title at Arse. Some barely veiled affection for Arse ;)?

Definitely not me 🤣 I think I am on record somewhere on here saying I want Man City to win the league. If he’s a prisoner on all that cash, I wish I was one as well!

I only meant when you were saying about staying and him planning for a move in 2-3 years that I am not sure players can afford to not take opportunities when they come. Even mundane things like them losing form or someone better coming through in your position, or the team you want to go to getting someone else for that position. Lots of things mean that thinking like that is a bit difficult as a player.

I would love to see him and Mac stay if we got Europe, it might be enough to get another year or two with them, as it’s a chance for them to compete and I’d back us to do well in Europe if we can get there.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Interesting view from Equador media, providing it translates for you.....
Their view on his wage quintupling, is based on Spotrac.
I think Spotrac mainly deals with contract values for American football, where players are much more open about their wages.
It isn't the same in Europe.

I suspect they have an algorithm based on club's financial statements and player's age/experience etc.
They also tend to amend their data quite frequently.
Shortly after Lallana and Welbeck signed, people were using this site to claim the pair were earning £110k/£100k pw.
The latest listing has Welbeck on £55k and Lallana on £90k. This estimate is still bollocks.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Great news. It makes me more confident he'll still be here next season otherwise why sign a deal that means we can charge absolute top dollar for the next four summers? If a monumental bid comes in then of course he'll be gone but it'll have to be monumental, not just merely huge.

The question now is Ally Mac. This summer is the time to sell for maximum money as his contract is only to 2025. Is Caicedo signing for four more years a sign that the club are going to sell Ally Mac or dare we dream that we'll get another season from them both?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It is unreasonable. I’m with Simon Jordan on this. Rice is overrated and will prove it to us tomorrow.

I believe that Caicedo is the next level from to Rice.

Caicedo could well be better in the long term. He hasn’t proved it yet and doesn’t have equivalent experience so he isn’t worth more yet. One game against Rice is not going to change that.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Great news. It makes me more confident he'll still be here next season otherwise why sign a deal that means we can charge absolute top dollar for the next four summers? If a monumental bid comes in then of course he'll be gone but it'll have to be monumental, not just merely huge.

The question now is Ally Mac. This summer is the time to sell for maximum money as his contract is only to 2025. Is Caicedo signing for four more years a sign that the club are going to sell Ally Mac or dare we dream that we'll get another season from them both?
We also have a 1 year option on him so 2026

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The only possible negative to this is that as others have said
maybe there’s still a player there who wants to leave, but more bad advice from his agents has meant accepting the money in a new contract (because they’re so money hungry) but overall it hurts his chances of leaving & will upset the player in the long run.

Maybe something along those lines could be true but I would say even the most naive player would see a contract extension as a backward step if they were chasing a move…

Hopefully it’s many more years of Caicedo!!
I’ve said this in a few other threads, but it’s obvious that our squad will need to be bigger and stronger if we get into Europe than if we don’t. I would suspect keeping Moises in the summer will be down to two things. Firstly where we finish / if we win the cup this season, and secondly “a big club” (ok, let’s call them Chelsea) not offering absolutely ridiculous money that would buy three other decent players.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It seems a VERY long contract extension if it's purely to bump the price up £20m and give him a short term wage boost.

In the case of the most frequently linked English suitor, Arsenal supposedly would like Rice and Caicedo too. Rice is being widely touted as an £80m player, which doesn't seem unreasonable. He's closer to his prime, has almost 200 PL games under his belt, European experience and is a lynchpin of a national team that's among the best in the world right now.

There's not much to suggest Albion would settle for much less than £80m for Caicedo so, at this point, he just doesn't look good value at that price compared to Rice or players that might be available from abroad. I think It's difficult to see how the figures stack up for an immediate move at the price Albion can now demand. Months of speculation is the only thing that's guaranteed, I imagine.
Whenever I’ve watched Rice I think “what’s all the fuss about?”

No doubt I’ll have my eyes opened this afternoon having said that :lolol:

I think Caicedo is a better player than Rice already

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Whenever I’ve watched Rice I think “what’s all the fuss about?”

No doubt I’ll have my eyes opened this afternoon having said that :lolol:

I think Caicedo is a better player than Rice already
I decided to watch some Rice showreels.

He really is a very good defensive midfielder but his skill set is more central defender than No.10 if you had to move him into another position. His tackling and positioning is top level and his pace and speed is very good (Caicedo is faster). In addition he appears to have a good shot on him but he just reminds me more of Dunk than Caicedo.

What he can’t do is the De Bruyne passes Caicedo pulls out the bag. The example for me is the assist for Mitoma against Everton, Rice would never be able to pull that off. Rice has a lofted ball he plays to either wing (Dunk style) but that’s about it. I’ve not seen him thread the ball through the lines on the deck to set-up an attack like Caicedo can.

I’m going to enjoy comparing them today. I think Caicedo is world class, I don’t think Rice is or ever will be. Caicedo has that X factor.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I’ve said this in a few other threads, but it’s obvious that our squad will need to be bigger and stronger if we get into Europe than if we don’t. I would suspect keeping Moises in the summer will be down to two things. Firstly where we finish / if we win the cup this season, and secondly “a big club” (ok, let’s call them Chelsea) not offering absolutely ridiculous money that would buy three other decent players.
Lose today and according to half of this place we'll be staring down the barrel of relegation.
While the other half are pooping themselves over the mighty Grimsby.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I am fairly certain that Alexis will go this summer, but we really want Moises to stay next season. One major sale every season means the process works.
Yeh, but we’ve sold about 140m worth of players already this season and also got compensation of around 25m for Potter, Winstanley and the coaches Potter took with him. We can easily afford a season without having to make a significant sale.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I think this is 1000 times better than the player 'seeing out' his contract and going for nothing, which was the likely scenario with Tossard.

And doesn't this mean he's our first £70+ million pound signing? Yes, yes, I think it does :lolol:
“You’ve got to know when to hold ‘em and when to fold ‘em” 😁

The Club offering Moises a new contract, says a lot about our development trajectory to me. It suggests that we can;

(A) afford/be prepared to offer our (Big-6) target players a competitive contract in order to encourage them to stay which suggests to me that Bloom and RDZ are on the same page with regard to our ambitions as a club and

(B) that in Moises agreeing to sign a contract (that by all accounts will perhaps make even the Big 6/7 think twice about the expenditure in the immediate future) sends a message to other young ambitious players in our squad that Brighton not only is a gateway to the EPL Big 6 but is a Club that is committed to challenging them for top spots.

We are carving out a pretty unique niche for ourselves in the PL imo - that we are a destination club not only for young players wanting to break into the EPL and who maybe see Brighton as a stepping stone to a European/Champions League club but also for our young players (already arguably at Big 6 level) yet are still too young/inexperienced to get regular 90mins with those clubs, Brighton can maybe offer the sort of development and support structure than they might not otherwise have by going to a Big 6 as soon as they come knocking.

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I have no idea how I missed that.

Until it's dashed on the rocks of reality I'm going to dream the dream of Ally Mac and Caicedo lining up for the Albion together on the first match day of September 2023.
Nice dream. We might have to be playing in the Champions League later that month for that to happen though!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here