Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Moises Caicedo - New contract signed until summer 2027 with 1 year extra option.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I guess we'll have to see how it pans out. I know I'll be in the minority but I'm pretty calm about the whole saga. Him leaving is a case of when not if and I trust the club to get a good deal if he leaves in this window.
But the 'when' is a big deal. If it's in the summer, we can a) have time to replace him and bed in his replacement and b) have a good chance of our highest ever league finish. Our highest ever league finish, and the chance of getting in to Europe is a big deal.

And that's not even taking into account how it would effect the rest of the squad. I imagine some would be thinking 'hold on, I can work hard here, or I can throw my toys out of the pram and get a massive payrise'

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
The crazy thing is the way that statement reads is like we're being unreasonable and keeping a player prisoner, when the reality is why would we possibly let this transfer happen?! There's 3 days left in the window, we havent signed a midfield replacement, and his valuation hasnt been met. That statement reads like he's shocked that we wont let him go, as if everythings tee'd up for it to happen and we're still unreasonably saying no, but as things stand of course we wouldnt let him go, no team would. Why would Tony ever say 'Oh okay yeah off you pop, I mean Arsenal havent matched our valuation yet, and it'll leave us short in midfield and potentially ruin our season, but yeah off you go, see ya later''.. It absolutely baffling that this is their move at this time. If we went to a championship club and said here's £10m for a player we know you value at £20m with 3 days of a transfer window, then that club & player should rightfully think well that transfer is happening unless they up their bid. It's such a strange mindset

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Also explains why Chelsea have seemingly lost interest. Why would a club with endless money give up on a player at 55 million when another has just offered 5 more? Because the agent has told them it's a done deal. Don't waste your time Chelsea. I reckon it'll be announced tomorrow..
Couldn't disagree more. The club have made it known their stance has not changed and this badly worded statement by his agent is just trying to force the issue. I might be wrong - time will tell.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Also explains why Chelsea have seemingly lost interest. Why would a club with endless money give up on a player at 55 million when another has just offered 5 more? Because the agent has told them it's a done deal. Don't waste your time Chelsea. I reckon it'll be announced tomorrow..
That doesn't explain why you can get 8/15 on him signing for Arse, and 3/1 for Chelsea. If it's done, they wouldn't want people cashing in.

And why would Brighton accept £60m so quickly, when another club with endless money has offered £55m?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
All this talk of we sell for the right price is fine for the balance sheet but what about the fans. We aren’t going bankrupt whether we sell him now or in the summer but what we might lose out on is a shot at European football for the first time in our history. To us that’s priceless.

Sure Tony wants to recoup some money, fair play, and we want to be sustainable but he and Paul Barber also need to read the room, there’s passions and dreams in football fans they go way beyond balancing the books, feels to me like we are, for the first time losing sight of that.
Fantastic post.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Let him be sulky, can’t reward stunts like this.
No no, read his agents, sorry, MOISES's post. "I always play football with smile and with heart".

If we are audacious enough to hold him to his contract for the next 4 months, his smile and heart will, I'm sure, be on full display.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Am I right in saying that Caicedo has only played 26 Premier League games for us?

Maybe just over half a season, and yet it's being portrayed almost like we're holding him against his will.

He's received some awful advice from his new agents today and that statement feels all kinds of wrong.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Two in a month. What have we and Bloom done to deserve it?
We don’t deserve it but maybe Tony and Paul could tighten up their language a little. They always sound firm but there’s a caveat of ‘unless a crazy offer comes in, everyone has a price etc.

Just say no. After selling Trossard we aren’t selling Caicedo or anyone else until the summer no matter what the bid is, end of. It can’t be that hard to spell it out.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Damn! Stepped away from the digital world for a few hours and come back to this. Was really looking forward to the game at the weekend but this makes thing pretty sour.

It seems remarkable he can’t wait six months but then that’s very easy for us to say. One bad tackle is all it takes to ruin a payday that would set him and his extended family up for life. And with agents in his ear I can just about understand it.

That doesn’t stop me wanting to kick off a dirty protest.
:annoyed:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Two in a month. What have we and Bloom done to deserve it?
This is Blooms plan coming to fruition why else invest in these young players if not to make a handsome profit.
Any established player linked we make a half arsed bid to appease the fan base the selling club reject it and that’s about as far as it goes.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Cucurella wanted to leave to go to Man City. He was told he'd go nowhere unless the club's valuation was met. City and his agent tried to change this through a transfer request and social media pressure. It changed nothing. Bloom would not sell him for less. City wouldn't pay it and he only left because Chelsea came in and met the valuation.

Having watched this happen, it seems really odd that Caicedo, his agents and Arsenal would try the same tactic. Arsenal haven't bid what he's worth. He won't be sold to them unless they do, regardless of any silly games any of them try. Given that Arsenal couldn't outbid Chelsea for Mudryk and what Chelsea paid for him wouldn't get close to Bloom's valuation of Caicedo, I suspect that they can't pay enough. The boy probably wants to go now as its a chance of a league winner's medal and he's doing what he can to shift things. He's not been well advised of economic realities. Only a realistic bid can shift things. His problem is that a realistic bid at this stage would be absolutely eye watering. It would be far more than Arsenal have ever spent on a single player.

There is also an underlying issue which can't be discussed. Let's say nothing more than that the realpolitik consequence is that all potential selling clubs will be aware of circumstances and that their valuations of their players will be made in light of this knowledge. (Mods, please delete if even this intentionally cryptic point is deemed to be problematic or inappropriate).

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
But the 'when' is a big deal. If it's in the summer, we can a) have time to replace him and bed in his replacement and b) have a good chance of our highest ever league finish. Our highest ever league finish, and the chance of getting in to Europe is a big deal.

And that's not even taking into account how it would effect the rest of the squad. I imagine some would be thinking 'hold on, I can work hard here, or I can throw my toys out of the pram and get a massive payrise'
I share your frustration but I guess my calmness is simply down to a what will be, will be attitude.

Like it or not we're always going to be bullied by the 'bigboys' to some degree but at least we're getting healthy fees and more often than not our talented players are repaying us with some loyalty. Caicedo's approach is the exception rather than the norm.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Feck me! Any chance Macca and Mitoma in double quick time could also put out out a " it's not you but me " separation tweet!

This has really pissed on my mood for Sunday! :(

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here