Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Moises Caicedo - New contract signed until summer 2027 with 1 year extra option.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Cucurella wanted to leave to go to Man City. He was told he'd go nowhere unless the club's valuation was met. City and his agent tried to change this through a transfer request and social media pressure. It changed nothing. Bloom would not sell him for less. City wouldn't pay it and he only left because Chelsea came in and met the valuation.

Having watched this happen, it seems really odd that Caicedo, his agents and Arsenal would try the same tactic. Arsenal haven't bid what he's worth. He won't be sold to them unless they do, regardless of any silly games any of them try. Given that Arsenal couldn't outbid Chelsea for Mudryk and what Chelsea paid for him wouldn't get close to Bloom's valuation of Caicedo, I suspect that they can't pay enough. The boy probably wants to go now as its a chance of a league winner's medal and he's doing what he can to shift things. He's not been well advised of economic realities. Only a realistic bid can shift things. His problem is that a realistic bid at this stage would be absolutely eye watering. It would be far more than Arsenal have ever spent on a single player.

There is also an underlying issue which can't be discussed. Let's say nothing more than that the realpolitik consequence is that all potential selling clubs will be aware of circumstances and that their valuations of their players will be made in light of this knowledge. (Mods, please delete if even this intentionally cryptic point is deemed to be problematic or inappropriate).
I thought Bloom’s stance was simply that no one’s leaving now.

A higher fee wouldn’t sweeten the breaking up of our winning midfield and more likely not qualifying for Europe.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We don’t deserve it but maybe Tony and Paul could tighten up their language a little. They always sound firm but there’s a caveat of ‘unless a crazy offer comes in, everyone has a price etc.

Just say no. After selling Trossard we aren’t selling Caicedo or anyone else until the summer no matter what the bid is, end of. It can’t be that hard to spell it out.
You could say that, but it wouldn't be true. What if the bid was £150m? That's a serious amount that could be re-invested to improve the squad.

Because of the timing (ie, end of Jan) I think the club should hold out against anything other than a crazy high bid, because selling now would derail our season, spoil the dream for fans, and for what? it's difficult to imagine we wouldn't get just as much in the summer.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I thought Bloom’s stance was simply that no one’s leaving now.

A higher fee wouldn’t sweeten the breaking up of our winning midfield and more likely not qualifying for Europe.
Your points would be reflected in the valuation. That's why I'm saying that Arsenal can't afford it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It seems remarkable he can’t wait six months but then that’s very easy for us to say. One bad tackle is all it takes to ruin a payday that would set him and his extended family up for life.

No, he can be set up for life with us if it's security he needs. How about a 5 year contract of £50k a week, with a release clause? That's £13 million. That should set him and his family up ok.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Some sanity here...

Things were looking good for Brighton & Hove Albion just a week ago.

It's easy to put a list together of everyone who's left.... yeah, boo hoo hoo.

But we're happy with the Potter/RDZ swap, and Cucurella/Pervis, not that fussed about Trossard, etc etc.

Caicedo WILL BE a massive 'loss'. It feels like a massive kick in teeth, as we've had less than a season out of him.

But here's the rub: he was ALWAYS too good for us (or any non-top six team).

He was star in his national team, called the ‘Ecuadorian Kante’, aged just 18.

Man United, Liverpool and AC Milan were after him FFS. They only backed out because of the legals, permits etc.

The club worked hard to get him to England, and will get rewarded with £50m+. That's not a loss!

Caicedo's exit is not a flaw in Albion's system. It's not the end of the dream. In this case, we just aimed a little too high imo.

(Also, the mid-season World Cup has clearly destablised players/the market this winter)

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I just can’t see Tony letting this happen after we have said ‘no outgoings’.
Moises will get over it in a few days, will play again and then be sold in the summer. Disappointing though.
What’s also disappointing is that Arsenal have manipulated this along with Moises’ agents with only a few days left of the window. I doubt we’ll want to play ball with them now.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Depends if you believe them it’s different when £80m is on the table.
At this stage I don't believe that £80m would be anywhere near what we'd want. With three days left, I think that Bloom wouldn't come to the phone unless they started at £100m.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
No, he can be set up for life with us if it's security he needs. How about a 5 year contract of £50k a week, with a release clause? That's £13 million. That should set him and his family up ok.
Well that’s certainly what us ordinary mortals would think but I guess your perspective gets skewed when you’ve a prodigious talent, agents in your ear and a realistic shot at multiplying your current earnings several times over.

Not saying I like it. I bloody despise it but I can just about see how it comes to this.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Some sanity here...

Things were looking good for Brighton & Hove Albion just a week ago.

It's easy to put a list together of everyone who's left.... yeah, boo hoo hoo.

But we're happy with the Potter/RDZ swap, and Cucurella/Pervis, not that fussed about Trossard, etc etc.

Caicedo WILL BE a massive 'loss'. It feels like a massive kick in teeth, as we've had less than a season out of him.

But here's the rub: he was ALWAYS too good for us (or any non-top six team).

He was star in his national team, called the ‘Ecuadorian Kante’, aged just 18.

Man United, Liverpool and AC Milan were after him FFS. They only backed out because of the legals, permits etc.

The club worked hard to get him to England, and will get rewarded with £50m+. That's not a loss!

Caicedo's exit is not a flaw in Albion's system. It's not the end of the dream. In this case, we just aimed a little too high imo.

(Also, the mid-season World Cup has clearly destablised players/the market this winter)
That's all fine, but not yet.

We do not have to sell.

When players don't make the grade, we can't just ditch their contract, we have to pay their salary for the whole of their contract. When players do really well, they can't just demand to leave before their contract is up.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
It's really not as simple as just turning down bids. The club will have to think about the influence he has on Enciso, Sarmiento, Estupiñan and his other mates in the squad. If he starts stinking the place out and carrying on with these stunts as advised by his agent, we could end up with them getting the hump with the club as well for not giving him his 'dream move'. But of course, if we cave in, it will really set a precedent that all you have to do to get your move is throw a public hissy fit, and every player, agent, recruitment guy and shit-stirring journalist will be all too aware of it.

Glad it's not me making these decisions.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
It is so obvious to anyone with a braincell that it is not Caicedo making these "statements" but, in fact, his agents. His statements have gone 180 between the change of agents so it is painfully obvious.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I just can’t see Tony letting this happen after we have said ‘no outgoings’.
Moises will get over it in a few days, will play again and then be sold in the summer. Disappointing though.
What’s also disappointing is that Arsenal have manipulated this along with Moises’ agents with only a few days left of the window. I doubt we’ll want to play ball with them now.
I think he’ll put in a decent performance against Bournemouth. He’ll get an arm round the shoulders from Tony on Wednesday and a promise to sort out his future properly in the summer (after we’ve sorted ours with his replacement!).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well that’s certainly what us ordinary mortals would think but I guess your perspective gets skewed when you’ve a prodigious talent, agents in your ear and a realistic shot at multiplying your current earnings several times over.

Not saying I like it. I bloody despise it but I can just about see how it comes to this.
Sure, but you said about the possibility of an injury ending his career, and the chance to set his family up for life. We can offer that opportunity too, and in doing so he wouldn't miss the chance to earn more later, as his career should be longer than 5 years, and he could still go elsewhere if the release clause is met.

So yes, I can understand him wanting to earn more (and I don't begrudge that), but let's not pretend it's because he needs to secure his family's future.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here