Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

mods and rockers - were you there?

Woodingdean Gull

Jul 7, 2003
Woodingdean, Brighton
.....though I dont think his parka fits now:lolol:

Thanks Bruv, if it was still hanging in the outhouse, I think I'd manage it.

The coffee bar in the Lanes was called the Lorelei, (sp), and the grease cafe in Hove, (George Street I believe), was called the Ballerina. About 30 of us were up for it one evening, went to the Ballerina and it all kicked off on the scooters and grease bikes. It ended tragically when one of the scooters hit a road bollard and the 2 mods came off. As one of them got up, he was run over by a combination, a motor bike and sidecar, and died.

I had 2 brand new GT 200's, the first in standard white with the flash on panels in gold and the second, in chrome and metallic mauve to my own design. We mainly met in the Florida Rooms at the Aquarium, or the Starlight Rooms down Montpelier Road. The general/common meeting place was known as the square, outside Electricity House at the Steine. It later became the RBS.

If I knew how to post old black and white 'photos on here, I'd stick a couple up.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Thanks Bruv, if it was still hanging in the outhouse, I think I'd manage it.

The coffee bar in the Lanes was called the Lorelei, (sp), and the grease cafe in Hove, (George Street I believe), was called the Ballerina. About 30 of us were up for it one evening, went to the Ballerina and it all kicked off on the scooters and grease bikes. It ended tragically when one of the scooters hit a road bollard and the 2 mods came off. As one of them got up, he was run over by a combination, a motor bike and sidecar, and died.

I had 2 brand new GT 200's, the first in standard white with the flash on panels in gold and the second, in chrome and metallic mauve to my own design. We mainly met in the Florida Rooms at the Aquarium, or the Starlight Rooms down Montpelier Road. The general/common meeting place was known as the square, outside Electricity House at the Steine. It later became the RBS.

If I knew how to post old black and white 'photos on here, I'd stick a couple up.

Castle Square wasnt it known as, later the meeting place for the North Stand boys of the 70's
I remember the chrome and metallic muave one, leaning against the spare wheel at the back, loads of mirrors and the long ariel as you dropped me off at Woodingdean Junior School bruv.
Come on Tony, would love to see those photos again.
Didnt your scooter get used in the original Quadraphenia?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I was there..firstly I had a Lambretta 175 slim style and then went up in the world and had a Vespa GS that was all chrome and had the engine bored out to be a 250cc, totally leathal machine especially with the extra mirrors and lights throwing the machine totally out of balance,however a lot of us Brighton mods were wimps (me included) and prefered to see out our mod days from the Wimpy in Western Road or from a coffee bar called the Cottage in the Lanes
Sometimes however we got it wrong and met up with the Rockers on the Seafront,or if you did not know betterin George St, Hove where the was a large rockers cafe.
Unlike the Who film we never met up in pubs!
I should add that I may have other memories but I have chosen not to recall them as my wife thinks I am a quiet and gentle person!:D
!

only one scooter for mods and that was the TV175 purred like a cat with milk although I never had any mirrors on mine

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I am too young :) for the original stuff but was a mod in the late 70s when the music, Jam etc revisited it.

Always will have an affinity with the mod culture, fashion etc, born a little bit too late.

Maybe we should have a poll, mod or rocker?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
img003.jpg

Here's some. :bigwave: 1964

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
They look like Geography teachers

There's Carpenters and Plumbers, but no Geography Teachers. Is that what Geography Teachers look like now?

I was a spotty-faced 17 year old receptionist at the Grand Hotel, with three female colleagues behind the desk with me when suddenly in rushed about 30 rockers.

Strangely, all 3 women - all older and senior to me - did a runner and left me to it.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
There's Carpenters and Plumbers, but no Geography Teachers. Is that what Geography Teachers look like now?

Who knows? :shrug:

But naff haircuts and ill fitting jeans, definitely look like teachers we used to rip the piss out of back in my day.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I was not quite old enough to join in the original mayhem but decided even then that I disliked mods.

I used to work in Joe Lyons Tearooms at the bottom of St James's Street and on Bank Holidays used to watched the mods line up on their scooter at the traffic lights.

In those days butter was sold as 'pats' which were about the size of a £2 coin with no wrapping. From our tearoom window on the top floor I would use a large knife to flick these butter pats at the mods below.

I just loved the thought of them driving around Brighton in the hot sunshine dressed up like a dogs dinner but with butter melting gently into their Parkers.

Still makes me smile to this day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here