Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Modestly good moments at the Amex

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Sheff Wednesday play off atmosphere
david Marshall goalkeeping masterclass - stopping everything when we drew with cardiff
beating Derby (? I think) 2-0 when they totally dominated the game - it was so one sided I remember texting my mate to say it’s not fair they won’t give us the ball back

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
Not sure of the year but it was one of Ulloa’s first games. We were playing Blackburn and for the first 20/25 mins they didn’t have a touch. We played some of the best football I’d ever seen us play.
Unfortunately I don’t think we actually won the game but remember being in awe.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Vicente sending two Barnsley players wandering off in the wrong direction with a dip of his shoulders

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I recall a win against Leeds in which CMS turned up big time. Earlyish AMEX days I think.

Zamora's first goal (AT HOME) after his away one at Leeds, was pretty magical too.
Did it end up 3 - 3 with a penalty? I remember being right next to the away fans, the banter was terrific!

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Oh another one... Abdul Razak looking like the best player on earth against Ipswich (was it?) . He was completely unplayable in that game. I was convinced I'd just seen the start of a superstar's career.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The atmosphere ahead of, and during, the Sheffield Wednesday play-off game.

David Blunkett's quote from that night:

"Well I’ve never experienced anything, in the many years I’ve been a Sheffield Wednesday supporter, like the first quarter of that game last night.

It was a forcefield. It was a forcefield on the pitch and off it. The sound was unbelievable, the emotion was so high that we were all holding our heads in our hands and literally shaking."
The atmosphere has been at its best (on 2+ occasions) when we've been wronged.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Peomotion in sight, but losing 1-0 at home to Torquay with ten mnutes to go in 1972 threatening to derail it.

Won it 3-1 .................. magic night!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Watching OGH getting the first ever goal in the stadium, playing for the reserves in the Sussex Senior Cup Final against Eastbourne Borough.

Kaz beating QPR's defence and then taking the ball back to them and beating them again just for the hell of it. Just failing to win a corner by knocking it off one of them, then waving his arms in the air to gee up the West Stand.

The massive smile on my small daughter's face when, at her first Brighton v Palace game 17/03/2013 and 2-0 up at half time, she heard the concourse in the SW corner treating the visiting fans next door to a rendition of 'My Old Man...' Kids are entertained by hearing adults swearing when its usually forbidden. Hearing so many doing it so loudly and with such abandon just delighted her.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Despite going to a fair few games, I've never seen us win a premier league game at the Amex. So it will be that one....

But also want to mention Brighton 3 QPR 0 on Dec 27th 2016. We were so good that season, that so many great wins and performances just seemed routine. But that was a particularly good one, Baldock scoring an absolute screamer and Knocky scoring his first goal since his Dad died.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The game against Chelsea - not this season, but that friendly, the first game in the whole country with fans allowed back after lockdown.

The weirdness of spaced seating, of being told to face the other way when anyone went past you, the feeling of what was so familiar and safe and ours all now feeling a bit surreal and in some ways unfamiliar, staff using sanitising gel on anything anyone's hand had touched, the slightly nervous excitement and the echoey near empty stadium. All of that.

I think also our first chance to see Ben White. Didn't care about the score. Just so good to be back among however few of us were allowed in. And the "can you hear the Chelsea sing?" at the empty away end just joyous.

As we're saying Amex not Albion, I'm going to go with England v Spain in the Women's Euro's too. Took my Mum, wife and daughter so 3 generations, two of them on their first trip to the Amex. Fantastic night and great memories.
Here's a photo I took that day. As you say, it all felt a bit surreal

Screenshot_20230121_075220_Chrome.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here