Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Modestly good moments at the Amex

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
A rather yummy chilli con carne served up in the West Upper one Tuesday night in the Championship. Ahh, those were the days....

:lol:

Mac Allister's (disallowed) thunderbastard free kick against Leicester in Sept 2022.

Beating Southampton on New Years day back in League 1 when Adkins was manager.

Getting our first ever Premier League win against West Brom the day after my stag-do in a match I almost missed.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Mac Allister's (disallowed) thunderbastard free kick against Leicester in Sept 2022.

Beating Southampton on New Years day back in League 1 when Adkins was manager.

Getting our first ever Premier League win against West Brom the day after my stag-do in a match I almost missed.
Not at the Amex, though?

Not at the Amex, though?
Apologies – Championship... 2 Jan 2012 – 3-0 win

And Adam Lallana was playing for Southampton that day.

Screenshot 2023-01-20 at 16.14.36.png

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
I don't get to visit the stadium too often, but this season, when we went 1-0 up against Leeds, and for all of 2/3 minutes we were top of the league, felt pretty special. There was also this shared, relief that Gross managed to put the ball into the net, despite it looking like it might be another on of "those" games. From then, despite everything with Potter that has happened since, it felt like it was going to be a special season.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Albion v Charlton in the Championship: December 2015.

A barnstorming late Albion win, coming back from being 0-2 down after 5 mins.

A goal back by James Wilson after 50 mins but still trailing 1-2 with 10 mins to go, then late goals in the last 5 mins from Zamora & Hemed. Great Amex atmosphere.

With an assist in there from some bloke called Solly March...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Albion v Charlton in the Championship: December 2015.

A barnstorming late Albion win, coming back from being 0-2 down after 5 mins.

A goal back by James Wilson after 50 mins but still trailing 1-2 with 10 mins to go, then late goals in the last 5 mins from Zamora & Hemed. Great Amex atmosphere.

With an assist in there from some bloke called Solly March...
League One at best...

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Beating Southampton 3-0 when we were in a slump period and they had a clear goal waved play on when Dunkie cleared the ball about a yard over the line (Pre tech obviously). :bloom:

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Got to be Sheffield Wednesday at home - 2-1…I think it was 2017 in our promotion season. The atmosphere was incredible!

Plus it’s nice to win our yearly cup final against one of the biggest teams in Yorkshire.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
FDM making a trademark save down to his left, then being subbed off shortly after when we had a goal kick.
I keep asking for the spicy dutch meatball pie to come back.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Yes, we all loved the day we got promoted to the Premier League and it was amazing to beat Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool. The Doncaster Rovers game was epic too.

But what are the lesser Amex moments deserve a place in a kind of secondary hall of fame? Three from me:

- Vicente hitting the bar against Derby County in 2012. (He scored some great goals. But when he hit the bar that day it was somehow better.)

- Ashley Barnes getting sent off for tripping the referee in the Bolton game in 2013. (This moment was arguably "Peak Barnes".)

- Ashley Barnes and Romain Vincelot being sent off in the first 11 minutes against Burnley in 2011. (We lost 1-0, but it didn't seem to matter that much.)
That Ashley Barnes trip is very high on my favourite moments. My youngest son was mascot when we played Burnley a couple of seasons and told him so. Such a great moment.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Not strictly football, but the club's response to the Shoreham Air Show crash was handled brilliantly. The ceremony on the pitch before the Hull game was, I thought, respectful, thought-provoking and very moving.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
A few other thoughts:

Tomasz Kuszczak (I think) pulling an opposition player's shorts down just before a goal kick.

A thrilling 3-3 against Leeds United in the 2011/12 season under the (Friday night) lights.

The 2-0 win against Wolves where Jamie O'Hara threw his shirt into the crowd and someone threw it back to him!

The 6-1 hammering of Blackpool when even the consolation was scored by an Albion player!

And...

:tears:
The old NSC myth that it was O’Hara who threw his shirt when it was in fact Roger Johnson. O’Hara would have caused a riot if he’d gone over to their fans at the end after giving them a gesture from the halfway line after they sang ‘50 grand you’re having a laugh’.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The old NSC myth that it was O’Hara who threw his shirt when it was in fact Roger Johnson. O’Hara would have caused a riot if he’d gone over to their fans at the end after giving them a gesture from the halfway line after they sang ‘50 grand you’re having a laugh’.
I stand corrected. I knew his was involved in something. Or maybe he was just gash that day.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I stand corrected. I knew his was involved in something. Or maybe he was just gash that day.
Yeh he was a complete tool and if you have the misfortune of hearing him on sky or talkshite you’ll see he very much still is!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here