Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mobile Phones-where next?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I had a Motorola years ago and that was about thee size of a matchbox, I think it may have been called a Motorola wings but I may be wrong.

I remember that Motorola,friend of mine had one,that inspired me to get what i had,seriously these were amazingly small phones.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
I remember that Motorola,friend of mine had one,that inspired me to get what i had,seriously these were amazingly small phones.

I remember it could fit in the little pocket inside the right hand pocket of my jrans (not sure what its called). It was 400-500 pound though so not cheap. Ironically my first ever phone was a plain black Motorola and the signal and battery were far better than anything I have had since.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The club will have a wifi network and sell passwords.

It's not that simple. Say you get 10% of season ticket holders paying for it, they will want a quality of service that makes it usable. Most will want to use it at half time so you need an infrastructure that covers the whole ground; stands, concourses etc. You need to be able to give out a couple of thousand IP addresses and you need to give each of them a chunk of bandwidth, say 50k.
So you are looking at a 100mb link but thats stretched so you'll really want a gigabit fibre to allow for expansion.
You have to install all that before you charge anyone anything
Personally I'd prefer it to be spent on players and accept that for a couple of hours I get a very flaky internet on my phone.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Phones will become more powerful and eventually merge with computers, you'll carry it around in your pocket instead of a laptop, and your place of work (library, coffee shop, train, office e.t.c.) will provide you with a screen to wirelessly connect your phone to, screens will be touch controlled and looking a long way into the future, gesture controlled.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
There are only a lot of people there for about 3/4 hours once a week, 40 weeks a year. The networks aren't going to invest in the infrastructure for so little return.

im not sure its even doable. so much concreate and steel makes radio in a stadium difficult (unless using certain bands). as you point out, wireless is difficult too. my company has 3 Wifi repeaters on every floor and there are still spots where the wireless drops out.

The industry is betting on wearable tech (e.g. Google Glasses and Apple Watch) to be the next big thing.

Also more and more new cars are going on line so the Apple v Android battle will move to the road.

cars will definatly be more/default connected to interwebs. i can see radio as we know dieing as people simply stream their shows, be they music, chat whatever.

the glasses is a great idea, having a HUD like display everywhere you go is pretty awesome. i see that as being an alternative display to plug in to a phone, i dont see it working as a standalone device. battery for one thing, you'll plug into one anyway to get any decent usage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here