Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mobile Phones-where next?

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Nano bots injected into your blood stream to perform intricate surgery while your awake with no pain at all !!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Agree, don't think too much will change. Size is now dictated by usability - screen size needs to be big enough, esp for web browsing and us over 50 folk whose eyes ain't what they used to be.

Weight is now mostly dictated by battery, I can see solar power being (more) utilised to enable longer gaps between mains recharge. Perhaps the touch screen can also become a solar power collector too.

Wireless headphones could be next but with so many using them, frequewncy / bandwidth might be an issue - will also mean a power supply will need to be in the earpiece and this may impact size.

We have Skype already and I can see advancements in bandwidth eg 4G that will allow more phones to communicate voice and video together.

More "remote control" like being able to use your mobile phone to control your home central heating / water - British Gas already just started offering this. You can set your PVR to record something remotely but this is now superseded by catch-up TV.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Whoever manages to invent (or do I mean discover?) battery technology that will keep a mobile phone active for months will become a VERY RICH MAN.

I've already invented one. The battery lasts 6 months. The only downside is that it takes a year to charge...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
We have Skype already and I can see advancements in bandwidth eg 4G that will allow more phones to communicate voice and video together.

over the networks dead body. though there is a theory that down the line they might just charge data only, and everything will be IP based.

I dont think solar is likly to be widespread, too little power generated, but kinetic recharging might work. the problem is that these smart phone with large screens and multiple cores use alot of power, relatively speaking. reducing power is the answer is lower power use, so if you are going to mostly use a smart phone for the web/facebook etc, dont get a 4 core + GPU processing monster.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Battery life and coverage still need a lot of improvement! Even in London my coverage always drops out in specific locations.

And as for trying to get reception in places with a lot of people e.g. the Amex.

Seems they have focused upon the gadget elements of phone technology whilst paying less attention to the basics!

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
1) small piece of paper in ones pocket screwed up or rolled like a scroll - pull it out and its a screen.
2) chip behind the ear or similar, and one sees a transparent screen 20cm from their eyes.
3) internal skin chip - close eyes, think with will to operate, and an internal virtual internet cloud type thing appears in ones mind.

these are all possible in the coming years......if the economy doesn't crash and large corporate capitalism becomes a thing of the past.

With the current meme continuing its trajectory, this is probable...and scary.

https://vimeo.com/46304267

Last edited:

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Eventually there will be a device that does everything, car key, door key, bank card, credit card, ID card, train ticket, football season ticket, your device will be your entire life

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
I agree,but that said i once had an LCD phone as opposed to colour/touch screen roughly the same size as a box of matches,only slimmer,this was back in 2002 and i forget the make but all phones have got bigger again..

I had a Motorola years ago and that was about thee size of a matchbox, I think it may have been called a Motorola wings but I may be wrong.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
And as for trying to get reception in places with a lot of people e.g. the Amex

There are only a lot of people there for about 3/4 hours once a week, 40 weeks a year. The networks aren't going to invest in the infrastructure for so little return.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
There are only a lot of people there for about 3/4 hours once a week, 40 weeks a year. The networks aren't going to invest in the infrastructure for so little return.

True, but surely at some stage in future everyone will get perfect reception all the time wherever they are in the world. Appreciate not under current net system.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
The industry is betting on wearable tech (e.g. Google Glasses and Apple Watch) to be the next big thing.

Also more and more new cars are going on line so the Apple v Android battle will move to the road.

D

Deleted member 18477

A smartphone with a really good battery would be good for starters...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here