Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mobile Phones and Driving.

D

Deleted member 22389

Unbelievable isn't it, yesterday someone pulled out at the roundabout, one hand on steering wheel the other on phone. People don't give a shit until they cause a massive accident, injuring somebody or even worse killing someone

Something has to give. It's not the first time either, a few months back a van cut right across me coming out at another roundabout as I was going straight across. I went absolutely mad as I got a glimpse of a mobile to his ear. Where are the fing police?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In this age of Go Pro's, windscreen cameras etc. I wonder if footage of someone using their phone whilst driving would be enough for the police to prosecute?

Not on its own, no.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
OK, so the ignition may still be running. Maybe it could be linked to car movement instead ? ???

It won't happen, because there could, feasibly, be a time when somebody genuinely did need to dial 999 whilst they were driving.

Also, presumably such technology would impact on passengers. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending these people. It's a bugbear of mine (handy, that). But I've yet to hear of a practical technological application that would prevent the drivers using their phones under normal circumstances.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Genuine question. Why not?

Because there are legal defences to using a mobile phone whilst driving which would need to be negated first. Not saying it couldn't happen, but it's not nearly as simple as getting the footage and posting out a Notice of Intended Prosecution to the vehicle owner (who may not have been the driver).

Wish it was :)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Anyone found using a phone at the wheel should be made to go to work for 12 months using Southern Rail.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Because there are legal defences to using a mobile phone whilst driving which would need to be negated first. Not saying it couldn't happen, but it's not nearly as simple as getting the footage and posting out a Notice of Intended Prosecution to the vehicle owner (who may not have been the driver).

Surely they could use something similar to the procedure for getting flashed by a speed camera? Send a letter requiring the registered owner to name the driver, and then ask the driver to decide whether to pay the fixed penalty (fine and three points) or go to court. A few might take the court option, but probably most would cough up, and the message would at least start to get through.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford

What about other offences?
I have a dash cam installed, what about if a car overtook me and in doing so clearly crossed a double-white line on the centre of the road. Or maybe some other careless or reckless driving.
Is there a Crimestoppers email I could send my footage into for the police to follow up and prosecute, or are they just too busy?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If you are in a long traffic jam and have been stationary for some time then I don't have a problem if people use their phones sensibly, i.e. a quick text or call to inform a friend / family of your delay.

Similarly, I don't have a problem if the lights have just turned red and someone quickly checks their messages.

Indeed, commons sense tells me it would be perverse if a driver was punished more severely for checking their phone while their car is on the road but stationary than, say, a driver who is moving and eating a sandwich or drinking out of a can.

However, using your phone while the car is moving clearly crosses the line.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
What about other offences?
I have a dash cam installed, what about if a car overtook me and in doing so clearly crossed a double-white line on the centre of the road. Or maybe some other careless or reckless driving.
Is there a Crimestoppers email I could send my footage into for the police to follow up and prosecute, or are they just too busy?

Vigilante or super grass? better make sure your driving damn good.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Should also Ban changing CDs
Changing Radio Stations
Drinking a coffee
Eating
Smoking

etc etc
I was actually comparing and contrasting having a conversation with someone on a hands-free mobile and a conversation with a live passenger. Both equally distracting.

Your suggestion appears to suggest banning all activities which involve taking one hand off the wheel, which is entirely impractical and unnecessary. There are numerous legitimate activities which involve removing one hand from the steering wheel.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Should ban having conversations with passengers as well then.

Except that is a completely different as has been shown by a number of scientific studies. It is not the holding the phone that makes it dangerous (although it obviously is if you're using both hands, texting, etc.). It is trying to have a conversation with someone who is not present.

You're not going to have the same trouble straining to hear people in the car, and most importantly people in the car are aware of the situation you're in, and if, for example, you're tackling a particularly busy junction or overtaking they'll be quiet for a minute if they have an sense.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...sing-hands-free-new-study-finds-a7070486.html

Should also Ban changing CDs
Changing Radio Stations
Drinking a coffee
Eating
Smoking

etc etc

I agree that smoking should be banned. Particularly as there have been a number of cases where ash from lit cigarettes has actually set fire to the upholstery in adjacent cars! Eating and drinking are a bit of a grey area. You can easily have a sip from a bottle of water or take a sweet out of a bag without taking your eyes off the road.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here