Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mo Farah v Usan Bolt (Merged Thread)

D

Deleted member 18477

If Bolt trained for YEARS at it, he wouldn't get near Farah over 800m. He's simply not built for it.

The 800m Olympic champion is an f-ing MACHINE!!!

This is a normal person attempted it! Well clearly he's reasonable fit and its on a treadmill which makes it 'easier'.

D

Deleted member 18477

And here's the MACHINE running the actual world record. 800m is officially a sprint because of this incredible athlete!

sebtucknott

Aug 22, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I think it would be really tight!

Mo's PB for 800m is 1:48 and his PB (from superstars) for 100m is 12.98.

Normally you would run faster in 100m than 800m but if you take 1:48 (108sec) / 8 = 13.5s per 100m roughly the same as his 100m time. Therefore he could run 600m in under 81secs.
His 800m PB is from 2003 but if you do a similar calculation on his 1500m time from a couple of weeks ago you still get 13.86s/100m if anything he's quicker now.

http://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=482

Bolt on the other hand has PBs of - 9.58, 19.19 and 45.28 for 100,200,400m his 400m time is from 2007.
Earlier this year he ran 400m in 46.76 (a better reflection of his mid speed now)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsOGR92NznE

His first 200m was around 20-21sec therefore second 200m was around 25sec. I would say his third would be around 30sec giving him a time of - 76sec.

In the race I would say it's possible Mo could run quicker (less distance and will be "pulled along" by Bolt) and Bolt could run slower as he will start to die after 300m as that will be the maximum he'll run on a regular basis.

D

Deleted member 18477

The world record at 43.18 which Bolt would get fairly close to with a bit of 400m focused training (I'm talking 2 years rather than 2 weeks here) I reckon... That's 1 min 26.36 seconds if you ran 2 laps at the same speed. So 400m world record is 14ish seconds 'quicker' v 800m if running against a computer for the time of 2 x 400m world records.

Bolt v Farah over 600m with neither being disciplined at the 400m or 800m events would be close.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
If Bolt trained for YEARS at it, he wouldn't get near Farah over 800m. He's simply not built for it.

With respect he's built more like a middle distance runner than a sprinter, it doesn't mean he would be any good at it but then again before Bolt came along nobody would believe that a 6'5" man could run anywhere near 9.58".

sebtucknott

Aug 22, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
And here's the MACHINE running the actual world record. 800m is officially a sprint because of this incredible athlete!

He must literally not feel pain! My PB is 49.8 for 400m, he's beaten that in his first 400m! That time would put him in the top 150 in the UK for 400m times!

D

Deleted member 18477

He must literally not feel pain! My PB is 49.8 for 400m, he's beaten that in his first 400m! That time would put him in the top 150 in the UK for 400m times!

It's just incredible! It was the most impressive display for me at last years Olympics. The 800m used to be a more tactical event but this guy has basically said... 'Sod the tactic games this is now a sprint!'... No time for tactics anymore (coming off the shoulder at the last bend, or looking around for your rivals to see when they're going to kick)

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
Up until 400 meters Bolt after that the gap would be close and much more than that Mo all the way

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It's just incredible! It was the most impressive display for me at last years Olympics. The 800m used to be a more tactical event but this guy has basically said... 'Sod the tactic games this is now a sprint!'... No time for tactics anymore (coming off the shoulder at the last bend, or looking around for your rivals to see when they're going to kick)

I agree. And yet, and yet..... Rudisha's time (and WR) in the Olympics is only 0.8 seconds (0.8%) faster than Seb Coe's World Record set 32 years ago. If Rudisha's performance was the highlight of the entire games, which many commentators say it was, just how good was Coe's record when he set it an entire generation ago? By comparison, the men's 100m WR has improved by 3.7% over the same period.

D

Deleted member 18477

I agree. And yet, and yet..... Rudisha's time (and WR) in the Olympics is only 0.8 seconds (0.8%) faster than Seb Coe's World Record set 32 years ago. If Rudisha's performance was the highlight of the entire games, which many commentators say it was, just how good was Coe's record when he set it an entire generation ago? By comparison, the men's 100m WR has improved by 3.7% over the same period.

Bolt's world record was the most impressive performance I've seen in Athletics. Seb Coe's performance was very impressive too. I wouldn't mind seeing a 2013 version of Seb Coe at his best vs Rudisha! (I believe Seb Coe would challenge him with the most up to date training tools available!)

sebtucknott

Aug 22, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Bolt's world record was the most impressive performance I've seen in Athletics. Seb Coe's performance was very impressive too. I wouldn't mind seeing a 2013 version of Seb Coe at his best vs Rudisha! (I believe Seb Coe would challenge him with the most up to date training tools available!)

Almost definitely! The new Mondo tracks would probably give him the 0.8 let along different training.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bolt's world record was the most impressive performance I've seen in Athletics.

In all seriousness, fingers crossed it's not tainted.

For the record I do agree with you, and I don't think it is tainted, by virtue of his 'untrainable' style and stature.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I don't really see what the point is? Bolt is the greatest sprinter of all time, Farah is the best distance runner of the current crop.

What would it actually mean, whoever won, as neither would get close to the world's best authentic 400m runners?

It's like the England rugby union & rugby league sides competing to see who comes out on top in a game of American football :shrug:

D

Deleted member 18477

I don't really see what the point is? Bolt is the greatest sprinter of all time, Farah is the best distance runner of the current crop.

What would it actually mean, whoever won, as neither would get close to the world's best authentic 400m runners?

It's like the England rugby union & rugby league sides competing to see who comes out on top in a game of American football :shrug:

For charity. And for fun!

If I was a footballer I'd happily give a rugby player a game of tennis for charity!

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
love the fact some people are saying Mo would 'destroy him' over anything more than 600m....HOW do you know this???

i'd actually say anything between 500-800 would be bloody close. not sure either would destroy the other unless you have a 100m race

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
For charity. And for fun!

If I was a footballer I'd happily give a rugby player a game of tennis for charity!

Fair enough, but I wouldn't pay to watch you do it, is all I'm saying :)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
love the fact some people are saying Mo would 'destroy him' over anything more than 600m....HOW do you know this???

i'd actually say anything between 500-800 would be bloody close. not sure either would destroy the other unless you have a 100m race

Because Farah can run 800m bloody quickly, and because Bolt is on record as saying he cannot run further than 400m.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
With respect he's built more like a middle distance runner than a sprinter, it doesn't mean he would be any good at it but then again before Bolt came along nobody would believe that a 6'5" man could run anywhere near 9.58".

He is absolutely not built like any middle distance runner I've ever seen. He is 6'5" and absolutely stacked. I met him last year, when I was providing some equipment for the filming of the Visa advert. I'm 6ft and a reasonably big guy, and I looked like a child next to him. He is HUGE.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here