Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mitrovic in the Summer Window

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Every player who's ever played in the PL didn't have any PL experience before they played there.

So you would be happy for either of them to walk straight into our first team for next season, in place of Glenn would you? I wouldn't. Both need to be eased into Premier League football slowly, if at all, certainly not thrown straight in. Aaron Connolly, prior to his current loan spell in Ireland, has had no real experience of senior football at all.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So you would be happy for either of them to walk straight into our first team for next season, in place of Glenn would you? I wouldn't. Both need to be eased into Premier League football slowly, if at all, certainly not thrown straight in. Aaron Connolly, prior to his current loan spell in Ireland, has had no real experience of senior football at all.
They've moved Luton to Ireland, have they? Must be something to do with Brexit and the back-stop I suppose.................

And what precisely is 'being eased into PL football'? They're either on the pitch and playing or they're not - even if they come on as a sub, one minute they're not playing, the next they are - they're in, straight in, and thrown in, bang! - just like that. Can you suggest some sort of halfway house?

So yes, at some point the player who will replace Murray will be a player who has never kicked a ball in the PL before.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

And on the other side of the coin, do we not see teens thrown in at the deep end and handle it? I know it's an exceptional example, but Rooney handled it at 16, Cole was captain of West Ham at 19. But look at Tottenham now, they have no fear about getting youngsters involved, neither did/do Southampton. I think, as a club, run by an over cautious manager, we are quite simply... over cautious. We will never find that diamond of a youngster when we're too scared to play them.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
And on the other side of the coin, do we not see teens thrown in at the deep end and handle it? I know it's an exceptional example, but Rooney handled it at 16, Cole was captain of West Ham at 19. But look at Tottenham now, they have no fear about getting youngsters involved, neither did/do Southampton. I think, as a club, run by an over cautious manager, we are quite simply... over cautious. We will never find that diamond of a youngster when we're too scared to play them.

It's a high risk strategy, throwing untried kids, without any experience, into a team fighting to stay in the Premier League. Maybe we will just have to agree to disagree, but I certainly wouldn't do it.

As you say though, two sides to every coin.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

They also spend a lot of money hoovering up talent and sending it out on loan again. Our academy is still in its relative infancy in terms of producing first team players, but Dunk and March are more than some clubs manage from their local area having bought them into the club at a young age. March is arguably the most improved player under Hughton's management, and has gone from a player that flattered to deceive in the Championship, to one that looks a comfortable PL player. The reverse argument, is that Hughton has played March too much, you can't have it both ways.

You are talking about exceptional circumstances. Let's hope though that the foundations that have been laid to produce the talent we need. You seem to be suggesting we should just play youngsters at risk whether they're good enough or not, just so you give them a chance. Not for me, if they're good enough play them, but don't pick them just because you want to be seen as bringing youngsters through.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
They also spend a lot of money hoovering up talent and sending it out on loan again. Our academy is still in its relative infancy in terms of producing first team players, but Dunk and March are more than some clubs manage from their local area having bought them into the club at a young age. March is arguably the most improved player under Hughton's management, and has gone from a player that flattered to deceive in the Championship, to one that looks a comfortable PL player. The reverse argument, is that Hughton has played March too much, you can't have it both ways.

You are talking about exceptional circumstances. Let's hope though that the foundations that have been laid to produce the talent we need. You seem to be suggesting we should just play youngsters at risk whether they're good enough or not, just so you give them a chance. Not for me, if they're good enough play them, but don't pick them just because you want to be seen as bringing youngsters through.

No, I'm suggesting we should give good youngsters a chance, we are bringing on Gyokeres to see how he fits in, which is good to see. But at the rate we are going we will never give a decent youngster a chance, they will be mid twenties before they enter the field. I'd love to see us using raw talent with no fear from a younger age, even the England manager has taken the plunge. He didn't do to badly in Russia 2018.

I do agree we are in our youth development infancy.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
It's a high risk strategy, throwing untried kids, without any experience, into a team fighting to stay in the Premier League. Maybe we will just have to agree to disagree, but I certainly wouldn't do it.

"You'll never win anything with kids"

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009

I'd like the sub bench arrangement to be 7 over 21's on the bench plus 3 under 21's. Some sort of arrangement that allows a side who are 3-0 up to bring on youngsters for some game time but also allows the manage to have options if they are 1-0 down on 60 mins

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
[First Post on NSC] With the prospect that Murray could be slowly phased out of the starting XI in the future, would Mitrovic be a suitable replacement for Glenn?

Providing that Fulham don't beat the drop, and do go down, is it worth having a punt on Mitrovic? (From what I remember, we were in for him but Newcastle wouldn't sell to us)

Or, do we try and blood in other prospects i.e. Percy Tau, Aaron Connolly etc?

First post on NSC with 57 posts?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
If be happy to see Mitrovic up front with Andone, but aren't we forgetting Muzza and what he's done for the Albion.
I don't think he's ready to be written off yet!!

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class

Newcastle. Sean Longstaff.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
We did actually get this promise at the start of the current season, and so far, last season is looking better than how we have fared so far in this one.
Well, as much discussed, we have had a change of tactics mid-season from 4-4-1-1 to 4-3-3 with more attacking intent and less defensive solidity.

This season we are 15th with 30 points from 28 games. Last season we finished 15th with 40 points from the 38 games. Which is a higher points/game this season.

Mitrovic likely to cost the thick end of £50m so I'd suggest out of our price range. Hypothetically, he would be a good addition, subject to the club's assessment of attitude, also known as the ' No dickheads' policy.

PG

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Well, as much discussed, we have had a change of tactics mid-season from 4-4-1-1 to 4-3-3 with more attacking intent and less defensive solidity.

This season we are 15th with 30 points from 28 games. Last season we finished 15th with 40 points from the 38 games. Which is a higher points/game this season.

Mitrovic likely to cost the thick end of £50m so I'd suggest out of our price range. Hypothetically, he would be a good addition, subject to the club's assessment of attitude, also known as the ' No dickheads' policy.

PG

Fair points, one thing, where were we after 28 games last season?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

PG

Most players have relegation clauses and lower buy out fees if they are relegated Andone dropped £15m in value because of relegation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here