Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Missing Woman in London

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Yes you are right about the stats and way back in this thread I had a conversation with [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] how he would pay for either of his kids for an Uber home rather than them walk. I have 2 boys and if they're later than what they say they will be home, I worry! I worry that they may have been attacked and been beaten up, even though I know it's unlikely. I also think to myself about how one punch can kill, even though that is unlikely as well. If I had a daughter, my mind would be straight to rape and/or murder. That's not right!!

However, in your reply to me, you eventually went back to the rights and wrongs of the protest/vigil. I'm categorically on the fence about that, I can see all sides. The fact is though, this thread (along with thousands of others) has derailed from what small things we can do to make others feel safe in 'normal' times. I completely understand that these are not 'normal' times but next month we can be back in a pub. What small steps are everyone going to take to make the lone person walking home feel safer? As someone else said, we've been conditioned into fear of walking alone but the stats don't match up with the fear.

I think fear is always greater than threat, right back to the bogey man than lived under our childhood beds. I’ve encountered violence, never in a situation I was expecting in fairness. Despite the innumerable times I felt afraid in a location or circumstance I was anticipating. I guess that underlines how fortunate a country we live in relatively.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
As for this pro lockdown nonsense, I can only speak for myself when I say it is necessary as a measure while Covid is still out in the wild. When we have a lid on Covid the restrictions should be lifted.

I suspect this is a fairly commonly held view.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Hopefully your wife informed you that it is bloody awful that young men are targeted and at risk of random violence (I am not being flippant), but this is more about the fact women are not even safe in their own home and are also much more under threat of sexual violence which seems to go unpunished as well as the fact we are to told to change our behaviour instead of the perpetrators. Sometimes enough is enough. If it was in normal times I would protesting against it, I know protesting will not change these monsters, but sometimes not doing anything and just excepting it feels almost like condoning it.

Sadly our energies are perhaps better spent lobbying MPs to provide more police, prisons etc. Even Labour, as opposition, who are calling for tougher sentences won’t be drawn on what these should be. When it comes to the crunch, MPs appear to pay lip service until the next cause comes along. Real change takes a concerted effort over years and years. Too many people believe signing an online petition or liking a social media post. Not suggesting this is you btw, but a lot are. The worst are those narcissists who like getting their picture taken for their social media feeds without giving tuppence about. Personally I’ve felt strongly enough about domestic abuse to select as my Amazon good cause for many years now. Tiny contribution I know but something. Also done Xmas boxes and donations to local women’s refuges for several years too. I know the statistic is something like 6 domestic murders a week. I struggle as a bloke to understand how anyone could raise their hand to their partner or anyone for that matter. Sadly our world is populated by many who do. Their circumstances are different to yours and I’s, it’s easy to judge others when you’ve been brought up in a good family home. Many aren’t. It’s a sorry society we live in, can’t help feeling the breakdown of families and communities is to blame. I wonder how many gang knife attacks we’ve missed from the front pages this week. So many tragedies, seems society is heading to hell in handcart.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
They could have done a lot more and they failed to read the room. The Met has it's first woman Commissioner who really could have been on the scene yesterday talking to people.

Regardless the upcoming trial and no doubt numerous investigations into the Met's handling of events before and after Sarah Everard's murder are likely to be very uncomfortable for the Police and further damage trust in them, especially amongst women. Policing is a two way street and this has probably made victims of domestic violence think twice about reporting incidents.

This will rumble on long after Covid restrictions are removed.

Perhaps. How do we really know what is going on? You and I have the luxury of calling things from a cosy armchair as see things. Even with a women in charge it seems this is still not enough for many. With all the challenges in an unprecedented period. Part of the problem today is more than ever everyone believes they have a voice and a right for it to be heard. On everything. However, doesn’t mean it’s worth listening to. On that basis I’m happy to let the professionals, with years of experience in their chosen career, to make the call. That and they’re voted in by us to make the decisions.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I'm glad women got arrested a hundred years ago and made a real nuisance of themselves breaking the law.
It meant I could have a vote.

Protests work.

Yes, just think, without the suffragettes we’d never have had Margaret Thatcher, Dianne Abbott, Edwina Currie, Theresa May or Priti Patel.

:smile:

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
...On that basis I’m happy to let the professionals, with years of experience in their chosen career, to make the call. That and they’re voted in by us to make the decisions.

Patel has been the Home Secretary since July 19 and a politician for just over 10 years. In the 2000s she was working for a drinks company.

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
As men dominate this thread, I want to point out that the organisers offered to negotiate a socially distanced vigil, the met did not negotiate. Police elsewhere managed this

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
As men dominate this thread, I want to point out that the organisers offered to negotiate a socially distanced vigil, the met did not negotiate. Police elsewhere managed this
Had to remind my wife last night that the group of people most at risk of random violence on the streets are young men. It’s a terrible thing what happened to this lady. And you’re right it seems to been hijacked to point of extreme or stupid suggestions. Men, generally, aren’t dangerous. Some men, generally, are extremely dangerous. Always have been. Always will be. I cannot see how this can ever or will ever change. Last night some women could be said to have behaved lethally. Because they may have passed on covid leading to death of someone. We will never know. But it’s a real possibility. Which is why it was banned. Our own sentiments about the right to protest aren’t appropriate at the mo. Just ask any of the 100k+ families devastated by covid deaths.
The vigil wasn't "banned".

The judge refused to intervene and advised the Police and the organisers to work it out between themselves.

Even though we are under lockdown the regulations still allow for "reasonable" reasons to be outside. No one has tested whether that includes a protest.

The Police did a terrible job of engaging of with the organisers.

Even today, a group of mostly women are just milling around reading the multiple tributes that have been layed. I walked across the common earlier.

The MET have a helicopter hovering above, completely unnecessary.

They really are terible at their own PR.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
They do but it’s become Sanitised and there is an outrage for everything .

A lot of the same people are on the protest campaigns and social media is giving a voice to some worrying things .

Roll on normal life again

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
They do but it’s become Sanitised and there is an outrage for everything .

A lot of the same people are on the protest campaigns and social media is giving a voice to some worrying things .

Roll on normal life again

I agree.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Patel has been the Home Secretary since July 19 and a politician for just over 10 years. In the 2000s she was working for a drinks company.

I was referring to Cressida Dick...

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Why, is it an issue if men are talking about this subject?

It’s not an agenda. I’m guessing the fact there’s more men here is due to a larger percentage of the NSC user base being male.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
But you said voted in. I don't remember having a vote for the head of the Met.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Not directly but they’re public servants appointed by public servants who are voted in. By those that can be bothered anyway.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

This is where I feel the police are in a no win

1. You allow a vigil that would be impossible to keep socially distanced/rules in place - after fining and banning others

2. You don’t and you are the bad guys

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yes, just think, without the suffragettes we’d never have had Margaret Thatcher, Dianne Abbott, Edwina Currie, Theresa May or Priti Patel.

Thank goodness we’ve had sane, rational men democratically elected like Donald Trump and Adolf Hitler.

The countries that have done best at reducing covid deaths while maintaining a level of normality have been run by women.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
This is where I feel the police are in a no win

1. You allow a vigil that would be impossible to keep socially distanced/rules in place - after fining and banning others

2. You don’t and you are the bad guys

That's not totally true though is it as there were stewards organised but stood down who could have maintained distance.

Agree it would not have been 'right' by the absolute letter of the law you have to look at common sense. The secondary gatherings today are larger and having ' tug of war' competitions with people to arrest them made the situation worse. The picture of the masked woman being arrested and her mask slipping because she is being pulled by the police says it all.

Larry Boyd

Banned
Feb 25, 2021

Would it be a loss if neither were MP's? DA is a complete joke (her interview on Sky with Dermot Murnaghan post Borough Market terrorist attack showing this) she's also a racist 'whites like to divide and rule'.

Priti Patel should've been sacked after the bullying allegations against her, but for some strange reason she wasn't.

If Cressida Dick was a male he'd have fallen on his sword today after yesterday. How she is even in the job is beyond me as she presided over the shooting of Jean Paul de Menezes at Stockwell tube station.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
That's not totally true though is it as there were stewards organised but stood down who could have maintained distance.

Agree it would not have been 'right' by the absolute letter of the law you have to look at common sense. The secondary gatherings today are larger and having ' tug of war' competitions with people to arrest them made the situation worse. The picture of the masked woman being arrested and her mask slipping because she is being pulled by the police says it all.

No chance they would have been socially distanced through out, that is wishful thinking.

Who chooses the common sense causes?

The Policing of this whole pandemic has been laughable, but is that down to them or the laws been forced on to them ? I believe the police said this was unworkable from the start.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Again the problem I have with this is all with the timing - I appreciate the cause but why couldn't they have waited a couple of months until the lockdown is eased?

The tragic murders of Ellie Gould in 2019, Tracey Kidd last year or Kelly Stewart all made the news but there were no protests when these murders occured. Were they any less important?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here