Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Missing Woman in London

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Congratulations. You win the NSC Historical Pedants prize for the day for your services to splitting hairs, subject changing and choosing the statistical measure that suits your agenda (as a side note please Google New Zealand).

In your acceptance speech could you please explain why the Alt Right is trying to deflect conversation on this topic and take it down the sorts of rabbit holes you've chosen above instead of just condemning attacks on innocent women and the dreadful policing of a VIGIL as even The Daily Mail and The Sun have done this morning?

Painted yourself into a corner.
[MENTION=30583]RossyG[/MENTION] mentioned female politicians from the UK, you came up with two men who had nothing to do with the UK electorate.

You said most of the countries doing best at COVID were run by women, between you and [MENTION=30583]RossyG[/MENTION] you managed just two. But you called him a pedant?

Please, do carry on.

Awaiting my turn now from the Mod that abuses the position.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Painted yourself into a corner.

[MENTION=30583]RossyG[/MENTION] mentioned female politicians from the UK, you came up with two men who had nothing to do with the UK electorate.

You said most of the countries doing best at COVID were run by women, between you and [MENTION=30583]RossyG[/MENTION] you managed just two. But you called him a pedant?

Please, do carry on.

Awaiting my turn now from the Mod that abuses the position.

It wasn't an invitation to list countries.

Please google Germany and then ask yourself what the UK, USA and Brazil have in common. And then, perhaps, you could let us know what your thoughts are on making the streets safer for women and whether you condemn the actions of the Met as the Mail and the Sun do this morning?

BTW the "women leaders do better with Covid" isn't my supposition, it's a stats based theory posited by Professor Brian Cox.

Perhaps you're just looking to score cheap points on the back of someone else's posts as you got the Footy Lads topic so wrong?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
This really is quite sad, a thread initially about a poor missing woman, who unfortunately was kidnapped and murdered has turned into political point scoring.

Bear pit now, this is embarrassing

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This really is quite sad, a thread initially about a poor missing woman, who unfortunately was kidnapped and murdered has turned into political point scoring.

Bear pit now, this is embarrassing

Which is why the family didn’t want the vigil in the first place.

It's a shame a couple of posters have taken it off down a rabbit hole. I really only want to hear their thoughts on what is now a huge news story, in every paper and all over the Radio 4 Today programme this morning.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Perhaps you're just looking to score cheap points on the back of someone else's posts as you got the Footy Lads topic so wrong?

Bit like you getting the Rangers reference so wrong? As for Germany, Merkel has just been hammered at the polls over the handling of COVID, and their cases are currently on the rise again. Add in her influence on the EU and their vaccine cock up and I really wonder why you mentioned Germany.

You need to take your blinkers off. Nobody is happy or comfortable with the murder of a woman taken from the streets, but failing to recognise the impossible job the police have when it comes to vigils/demos in lockdown is just like sticking your fingers in your ears and going ‘la la la la la’.

Done with this thread now as it has become the usual battleground sadly.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It's a shame that these days, very serious social issues quickly become hashtags, vigils/protests and a clamor for people who see themselves as "world-changers" to say something quoteable. Makes a bit of a mockery of it all.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
It's a shame a couple of posters have taken it off down a rabbit hole. I really only want to hear their thoughts on what is now a huge news story, in every paper and all over the Radio 4 Today programme this morning.

You are very prominent on this board for a Mod. I don't even know who the other Mods are really (apart from Bozza). I know you're a Mod because I tried to put you on Ignore but I couldn't, because you were a Mod! You're all over everything and very opinionated and often put down others. I find that strange for a Mod.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I don't even know who the other Mods are really (apart from Bozza).

Screenshot 2021-03-15 094315.png

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
You are very prominent on this board for a Mod. I don't even know who the other Mods are really (apart from Bozza). I know you're a Mod because I tried to put you on Ignore but I couldn't, because you were a Mod! You're all over everything and very opinionated and often put down others. I find that strange for a Mod.

Has also wilfully failed to ban two absolutely blatant Palace posters on here masquerading as BHA [MENTION=41422]Falmer Wizard[/MENTION] and [MENTION=28389]This is me[/MENTION], both who have been flagged up to him, because ‘he feels’ they might just be negative Albion fans, going against his own to effectively facilitate their continued involvement on here. What is the point of having mods on here? Even the blindest person could take one look at their posting history and style to know they’re Palace.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
It's a shame that these days, very serious social issues quickly become hashtags, vigils/protests and a clamor for people who see themselves as "world-changers" to say something quoteable. Makes a bit of a mockery of it all.

where does it all stop.

the question about women walking at night with headphones one is curious.

I've known a couple of male friends been whacked from behind when doing this on way home from pubs. Along with numerous incidents of blokes on blokes trouble due various nonsense. We need to be carful here as like you say its all becoming diluted and a bit embarrassing now.

Look at the police in other countries , look at the issues in other countries. We have it so good over here for everyone really.

Social media gives a voice for the permanently outraged though.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I wonder if some people are beginning to realise that putting women in charge of things doesn’t always add up to things getting better for women.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Congratulations. You win the NSC Historical Pedants prize for the day

In other words, I was right.

for your services to... subject changing

From the king of the NSC goalpost shifters.

and choosing the statistical measure that suits your agenda (as a side note please Google New Zealand).

I don't have an agenda. You said...

The countries that have done best at reducing covid deaths while maintaining a level of normality have been run by women

That is a factually incorrect statement. There's a table of deaths per 100,000 people and 9 are countries run by men, one by a woman. I doubt that their sex had much if anything at all to do with it, but it's a fact. Whining at me doesn't alter that fact.

Please google Germany and then ask yourself what the UK, USA and Brazil have in common.

Goalpost shifting. Germany isn't one of the best at reducing Covid death but you bring that up and name two other countries. Choosing statistics to suit your agenda.

It's a shame a couple of posters have taken it off down a rabbit hole.

I made a mild joke about Margaret Thatcher and you chime in with...

The countries that have done best at reducing covid deaths while maintaining a level of normality have been run by women.

You started this or dragged us down a rabbit hole if you prefer.

Goalpost shifting
Cherry-picking statistics to make a point
Derailing a thread.

The three things you accuse me of are three things you have. The proof's in this thread.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Has also wilfully failed to ban two absolutely blatant Palace posters on here masquerading as BHA [MENTION=41422]Falmer Wizard[/MENTION] and [MENTION=28389]This is me[/MENTION], both who have been flagged up to him, because ‘he feels’ they might just be negative Albion fans, going against his own to effectively facilitate their continued involvement on here. What is the point of having mods on here? Even the blindest person could take one look at their posting history and style to know they’re Palace.

Bozza knows @thisisme personally and has said so. The poster isn’t Palace.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

To be honest, I'm struggling with how the 'left' is handling many of our social issues right now and I say this as someone of the left, in no way centrist dad. 'We' seem to be wanting to stifle debate, will not countenance debate even from those that are broadly supportive of whichever issue driving people in to binary positions. This subject is a classic example - Neither party is coming out of this very well, clearly the police have waded in with their usual complete lack of understanding and empathy while, IMO, this vigil or protest should never have happened in the first place. One woman's tragic death has been weaponised within days of the event and that leaves a bitter taste with me. Many of us wish for a fairer, safer world but I'm not sure this is the right way to go about it.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I really only want to hear their thoughts on what is now a huge news story, in every paper and all over the Radio 4 Today programme this morning.

I'm not sure what good a vigil would've done but I'd have let it go ahead, organised, maybe a silent vigil with candles, people standing two metres apart etc. Police presence to clamp down on the usual suspects trying to barge in. I know protest marches are banned but technically this wasn't intended to be a protest and if they'd limited the numbers and it was outdoors, it probably could have been done.

I do think these things run the risk of becoming a happening and deflect from the issue.

Can't comment too much on how the police handled it. No idea if they were provoked and retaliated or if they went in heavy-handed looking for a fight. I'm more inclined to think the former than the latter, but both are possible and my opinion on last night would depend on what actually happened. I'm hoping once the dust settles that, over the next few days, we'll get a better idea of what went on.

As for the subject of women's safety, I've no idea what can be done. I know that calling for curfews for men - even if done ironically to make some point - will just derail the issue further.

The problem with this particular crime is that the urge to rape and kill becomes primary in a thankfully minuscule amount of men. But no law will stop them, certainly not the threat of prison or even execution. It's a scary thought but I've no solutions.

Saying women should be able to walk around London at night without getting raped/murdered is like saying men should be able to walk around London at night without getting stabbed. Of course they should, but wishing won't make it so. And sometimes horrific things happen in daylight too, despite precautions being taken.

But what to do? No idea. I wouldn't expect politicians from any party to have a ready answer either. No-one in any country has found one so far.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
It appears that this most tragic episode has now been hijacked by the usual suspects, not only the vigil on Saturday evening but also the same old posters on here. Shame on the lot of you.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Why weren't women asking for men to be on curfew and holding vigils for Keeley Bunker, Michelle Samaraweera, Saman Mir Sacharvi and Vian Mangrio?

Missing white woman syndrome is a term used by social scientists[1][2][3] and media commentators to refer to extensive media coverage, especially in television,[4] of missing person cases involving young, white, upper-middle-class women or girls. The term is used to describe the Western media's[citation needed] disproportionate focus on upper-middle-class white women who disappear, compared to coverage of missing women of color, women of lower social classes and missing men or boys.[5][6] Although the term was coined in the context of missing person cases, it is sometimes used of coverage of other violent crimes. Instances have been cited in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom and South Africa.[7]

PBS news anchor Gwen Ifill is said to be the originator of the phrase.[6] Charlton McIlwain defines the syndrome as white women occupying "a privileged role as violent crime victims in news media reporting", and concludes that missing white woman syndrome functions as a type of racial hierarchy in the cultural imagery of the West.[8] Eduardo Bonilla-Silva categorizes the racial component of missing white woman syndrome as a form of racial grammar, through which white supremacy is normalized by implicit or even invisible standards.[1]

Missing white woman syndrome has led to a number of right-wing tough on crime measures that were named for white women who disappeared and were subsequently found harmed.[9][10] In addition to race and class, factors such as supposed attractiveness, body size and youthfulness function as unfair criteria in the determination of newsworthiness in coverage of missing women.[11] News coverage of missing black women was more likely to focus on the victim's problems, such as abusive boyfriends or a troubled past, while coverage of white women tends to focus on their roles as mothers or daughters.[12]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_white_woman_syndrome

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here