Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Missing Woman in London

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Men get senselessly attacked as well

Often for different reasons ... but are more likely than women to be the victims of violent crime

I don't see this as a women v men issue. It's an issue of what more can be done to prevent violent crime and murder.

Obviously the facts of the case will come out and I don't want to speculate as to what the motive of the killer was here.

Quite.

When a male gets murdered at random all the other males in the area are advised told not to go out by the authorities.

I'm surprised the large number of men who suffer random attacks at the hands of rampant females isn't raised.

On a dark night, if I see a woman walking towards me with a serious expression on her face and a look of grimaced aggression I always pretend I'm on the phone just in case.

For a moment, think of yourself as a female. Now take a walk in your mind through Brighton at this precise moment. Do you feel the same ?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I don’t have any agenda , I just know that area is quite rough but I accept it’s better than it was 20 years ago But You only have to look at the crime statistics, there still high . Why do I get accused of an agenda ! ! ! I don’t make the crime facts up . If it had happened in Brighton I would have been a lot more shocked .

Jan 2021: reports to Police of violence and sex crimes in Brixton - 48; In East Brighton - 44.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I don’t have any agenda , I just know that area is quite rough but I accept it’s better than it was 20 years ago But You only have to look at the crime statistics, there still high . Why do I get accused of an agenda ! ! !

Anyone taking even a passing note of your posting history will see your track record with posts on (amongst other things):

Why the victims of Grenfell Tower shouldn't be rehoused in empty properties
Muslim men with wiith beards working on London Underground
Black guys who like to wear (what you call) 'sports clothing'
Why Lewis Hamilton shouldn't recieve a knighthood
Your views on certain districts of London and knife crime
Black music
The ethnicity of the London mayor.

I could go on. It's all there in your posting histoy.

Forgive me if there seems to be a recurring theme to many of your chosen topics. As there is with your post on this thread. So there you go, there's your agenda.

You've asked the question, I've answered it but I won't let you derail this thread. So back on topic now.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I can categorically state with 100% fact that when some women do walk alone in the dark they have their phone to their ear and pretend to be talking to someone, no listening to music, as well as walking fast & generally being in a extremely high state of alert.
It may be a fact that more men are murdered than women but it's possible that more women are raped by strangers than men.
Imagine you have an 18 year old son and a 20 year old daughter, they'd both separately walked half a mile (10 min walk) at midnight. Would you be more likely to say to your daughter that she's an idiot and could've been raped or murdered and ask her why she didn't get a taxi? If they both called you within 10 mins of each other asking for £6 taxi fare would you be more likely to give the money to your daughter and tell your son to walk?

[MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION] , it is very rare that people suffering from a psychotic episode go on to commit serious crimes such as rape and murder, you just hear about those. I would also like you to point me to evidence/research that says the 'vast majority' of those type of crimes are committed by people suffering from psychosis?

Rest in peace Sarah.

I agree and didn’t mean to give that impression . I apologise if I did.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Either he has told the police were to look for the body (in which case I thought he would have been charged already), or telemetry from a car or mobile phone data has led them there. Which as a copper he must have known would be the case.

It’s just baffling.

It is a weird one. A criminal psychologist may suggest he wanted to be caught.

No it doesn’t make sense, but then why should it... he’s clearly a very deranged man.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I can categorically state with 100% fact that when some women do walk alone in the dark they have their phone to their ear and pretend to be talking to someone, no listening to music, as well as walking fast & generally being in a extremely high state of alert.
It may be a fact that more men are murdered than women but it's possible that more women are raped by strangers than men.
Imagine you have an 18 year old son and a 20 year old daughter, they'd both separately walked half a mile (10 min walk) at midnight. Would you be more likely to say to your daughter that she's an idiot and could've been raped or murdered and ask her why she didn't get a taxi? If they both called you within 10 mins of each other asking for £6 taxi fare would you be more likely to give the money to your daughter and tell your son to walk?

[MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION] , it is very rare that people suffering from a psychotic episode go on to commit serious crimes such as rape and murder, you just hear about those. I would also like you to point me to evidence/research that says the 'vast majority' of those type of crimes are committed by people suffering from psychosis?

Rest in peace Sarah.

Have always been at least as, if not more, worried about my son walking home late on his own as my daughter. May just be my perception but seems to be far more violent attacks on male youths than females around here. Who would I give the taxi fare to ? Moot point - always both (or more likely I’d be out the door like a shot to pick them up).

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Quite.

When a male gets murdered at random all the other males in the area are advised told not to go out by the authorities.

I'm surprised the large number of men who suffer random attacks at the hands of rampant females isn't raised.

On a dark night, if I see a woman walking towards me with a serious expression on her face and a look of grimaced aggression I always pretend I'm on the phone just in case.

For a moment, think of yourself as a female. Now take a walk in your mind through Brighton at this precise moment. Do you feel the same ?

Not the point I made and you know it. I'm talking about victims of violent crime being more commonly men.

When resorting to obvious and deliberate misquoting, it doesn't help your argument, (whatever you happen to be arguing) look very strong.

The point remains, and I stand by it, that we need to find ways to lessen violent crime, irrespective of the victim

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Not the point I made and you know it. I'm talking about victims of violent crime being more commonly men.

When resorting to obvious and deliberate misquoting, it doesn't help your argument, (whatever you happen to be arguing) look very strong.

The point remains, and I stand by it, that we need to find ways to lessen violent crime, irrespective of the victim

Perhaps I shouldn't have been so flippant. Sorry.

But I fear you are miss-reading the room.

The issue is here is the conditioned fear of violence that woman feel to the point their function in life has restrictions. More so than men, much more so. It's a focused issue. You were neither specifically quoted or miss-quoted.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Have always been at least as, if not more, worried about my son walking home late on his own as my daughter. May just be my perception but seems to be far more violent attacks on male youths than females around here. Who would I give the taxi fare to ? Moot point - always both (or more likely I’d be out the door like a shot to pick them up).

What about if your daughter was 30, 5'ft 5 & what some might call attractive, and your son 28, 6ft tall and what some might call attractive?
Still taking that 10 min, half a mile walk from their destination scenario (their own homes, as they don't live at home anymore), would you say to both of them (they are in different places and don't know that the other one is out), 'yeah I'll pay for your Uber'? If you did say yes to both of them, would you be saying yes for the same fears and reasons? This is a genuine question, I don't doubt for one second that you'd be out of the door to pick up either one of them in real life.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Perhaps I shouldn't have been so flippant. Sorry.

But I fear you are miss-reading the room.

The issue is here is the conditioned fear of violence that woman feel to the point their function in life has restrictions. More so than men, much more so. It's a focused issue. You were neither specifically quoted or miss-quoted.

It’s a valid point. The other night, having worked a 14 hour day from my home office with little more than the occasional wee to break up the day, I told the wife I was going out for a walk at 10:15pm. She didn’t bat an eyelid.

Now, we live in a generally safe area, with very little by way of violent crime. I was never remotely concerned for my own safety. However, if the roles had been reversed would I have been so comfortable with her going out on her own? Absolutely not! She’s an adult and capable of making her own decisions, but I’d have done anything I could to dissuade her.

I’m not sure it massively impacts on her life or 99% of the freedoms she’d like, but then she’s not someone who has to finish shifts after the sun goes down.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The debate is confusing risk with fear.

1) Men are far more likely to be murdered and far more likely to murdered in a public place by a stranger.
2) Women are far more likely to be in fear of walking alone at night than men.

However fear is real and nobody bases it simply on risk alone. If that was the case nobody would be afraid of flying. Society needs to understand why women are frightened walking the streets and what everyone needs to do to change that.

To a women walking alone any man can be viewed as a potential attacker, but men generally don't view it like that.

There might be something us men can learn from social distancing to help that.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
I'm always wary of a woman walking alone at night, especially if I'm walking behind and catching up.

On every occasion, I've crossed the road and carried on.

Quite a few times, from the other side of the road, I've said where I am going.

Most times, when we go different ways, there is acknowledgement , but it's really sad that's how it is,

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
The debate is confusing risk with fear.

1) Men are far more likely to be murdered and far more likely to murdered in a public place by a stranger.
2) Women are far more likely to be in fear of walking alone at night than men.

However fear is real and nobody bases it simply on risk alone. If that was the case nobody would be afraid of flying. Society needs to understand why women are frightened walking the streets and what everyone needs to do to change that.

To a women walking alone any man can be viewed as a potential attacker, but men generally don't view it like that.

There might be something us men can learn from social distancing to help that.

I think that what [MENTION=29192]Brighton Lines[/MENTION] said about women having a conditioned fear is actually true.
[MENTION=29364]Pickles[/MENTION], you crossing the road & carrying on is great, but you telling a woman where you're going makes that woman realise you've noticed them. As much as you have good intentions by acknowledging their fear, it doesn't make you less likely to be a rapist or killer in a woman's mind, because you've told them where you are going. From my experience women walking alone do not want to engage with eye contact, let alone having someone speak to them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here