Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Missing submersible.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London

Some live tracking of boats near the titanic site. Skandi Vinland and Ann Harvey (both Canadian) are reported to be in the search.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
It must be truly terrifying stuck in there knowing your chances of survival are diminishing by the second. The father with his son, must be torn apart inside, I cannot imagine what they are going through, every noise they hear will be amplified, the smell, the desperation and mental health situation is just unfathomable to me.
Imagine the guilt that the designer on board must be feeling knowing that he and the people he is on board with are in a
perilous situation (and was warned about safety concerns).

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
If it is banging from the vessel, worth noting the sounds could be coming from anything up to 4km (or more) away............... still a heck of a location job required, let alone recovering the tube.
It's 4km deep too

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Hope they find the submersible soon but by now I have zero hope that they'll find them alive. Best they can achieve now is recovering the bodies, though I'd rather find the all thing squished because it means they died instantly on the spot.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
It's 4km deep too
I did read one expert say that if the banging is coming from the sub there is a good chance it’s on the surface as anything below 180m those sonar buoys wouldn’t be very good at picking it up. The problem is even on the surface not much of the sub is visible so it’s still a needle in a haystack.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I did read one expert say that if the banging is coming from the sub there is a good chance it’s on the surface as anything below 180m those sonar buoys wouldn’t be very good at picking it up. The problem is even on the surface not much of the sub is visible so it’s still a needle in a haystack.
A British marine expert said there are many noises underwater, and the 'banging' is potentially unconnected to the submersible.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I did wonder why it was white, and not in a bright colour, like those used on life rafts to help make it stand out should they ever find themselves adrift on the surface, to help aid any search and rescue efforts. White will potentially only look like a crest of yet another wave

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
A British marine expert said there are many noises underwater, and the 'banging' is potentially unconnected to the submersible.
There seemed to be some caution from those leading the search efforts that the noises aren’t necessarily from the sub. However some reports have said the noises are regular and for a certain duration which would fit in with what trapped divers are taught, and one of those on the sub is a retired diver, so it does at least give some hope to the search teams.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
My understanding is that even if it's on the surface they still can't get out, apparently it has to be opened from the outside.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
My understanding is that even if it's on the surface they still can't get out, apparently it has to be opened from the outside.
They can open the hatch, for additional oxygen supply, provided it is of course steadily on the surface. That would give the rescue mission more time, obviously.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
They can open the hatch, for additional oxygen supply, provided it is of course steadily on the surface. That would give the rescue mission more time, obviously.
The hatch which has 17 bolts on the outside?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If I learned anything from the Covid shít show, it’s that lots of people say lots of things. Much of it, be it positive or negative, merely for their own 5 seconds fame.
You could have posted this in the Christian thread

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
That's the worst part. It can only be opened from the outside so even if they did make it to the surface through some miracle, they're still stuck inside it.

The whole thing is awful and one of the worst things I can imagine, it's a nightmare I've had many times but these guys are really living it. Awful, but I am stunned by the minute by minute coverage as if nothing else matters in the world today.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Sounds bad but I have limited sympathy for all but one of the occupants, who are old enough to understand the risks and obviously too rich (it's a trip only extreme wealth can buy) with a bizarre desire to visit a sunken graveyard (disrespectful imho) while in a metal tomb of their own. All for no scientific purpose or good, taking no skill of their own to do so (unlike a scuba diver visiting a wreck) really only for their own voyeurism and because they think they can (and because others can't). But to take your 19 year old son along..... with a lot of life ahead of him, and I doubt much great interest in the Titantic at that age but probably influenced by his dad (again, just because you can afford the ticket price).... along for the ride. That makes me sad (and a bit angry actually). For his sake, I hope they find a way out alive. The others, eejets with too much money imho.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Submersible experts wrote to OceanGate CEO expressing concern​

The New York Times has unearthed a 2018 letter sent by submersible experts to Stockton Rush, the CEO of OceanGate.
The authors of the letter expressed "unanimous concern" over the approach taken by OceanGate when building the Titan and warned of potential "catastrophic" issues with its design.
They also said OceanGate was making "misleading" claims about its design exceeding established industry safety standards and urged Rush to institute a prototype testing program reviewed and witnessed by an accredited registrar.
"It is our unanimous view that this validation process by a third-party is a critical component in the safeguards that protect all submersible occupants," the letter read.
The NYT said a spokesperson for OceanGate declined to comment
I see Stockton Rush is one of the five on board. It appears he goes on all the trips.

I know the other four all knew the risk, and signed the papers that clearly stated risk of death, but imagine how Stockton Rush is feeling now. The feeling of guilt must surely be huge.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Firstly, I hope all get back safely and see their loved ones again.

Nevertheless, I do like a reminder that no-matter how loaded you are, nature can always teach you a lesson. The ocean doesn’t negotiate with anyone.
People probably said that about people who conquered Everest and crossed the Atlantic, human nature is to push boundaries and adventure to the extremes, otherwise man kind would just stand still.

It’s like saying you don’t have sympathy for someone who sky dives and has a chute failure, the risk is always there.

People just lack empathy towards anything they have no interest in

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not my nature.
I'll stand still please.
I'm now at my happiest when static.
Not my nature now either - but the point still stands. All of us take, or have taken, risks, even if it was just as kids or teens we pushed boundaries to find out what we could get away with. It's just the degree of risk-taking that varies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here