Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Missing Lancashire woman

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Another related theory re knife crime, you reap what you sow, Thatcher and co, drastically cut funding in inner city youth projects from May 1979 onwards, youth clubs, youth centres, cultural centres etc, and 40 years on many of those inner cities are ravaged with knife crime and a gang culture, and invariably what happens in the cities ends up in the towns. We've had a stabbing in Macdonalds in Worthing this week with armed Police then holding up innocent teenagers who were initially though to be potential suspects.
Thankfully they caught the suspect and he's already appeared in court.

Cheers Maggie!

Back to the OP, lets hope for the sake of Ms Bulley's family, specifically her kids, that everyone eventually gets some kind of closure.

But imagine the media scramble if she were to suddenly reappear alive having been holed up somewhere?

Given her apparent mental state they surely wouldn't do her for wasting Police time?

The commissioning editor at Netflix would literally be salivating.
Did occur to me that if she does reappear, she’s possibly got a strong case for suing the police for disclosure of personal information.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Humans are by nature inquisitive and love to solve, hence why stories like this attract a lot of interest, it’s not harmful speculation, just inquisitiveness.

Why do you think so many people are obsessed with UFO’s, because we don’t know and that’s the most thought provoking thing of all.

And also, this kind of story is close to home for any of us, I think it’s always been a fear of mine a female family member just disappearing and whilst walking her dog, without a single trace, it’s very unnerving to think this could happen, if it is sinister.
The behaviour of the Lancashire Police has caused much speculation, rumour and gossip. From the earliest moments of the case they declared it a cut and dry situation. She had clearly fallen in the river. Although there was no evidence to back this up. This is almost unknown in modern policing. To discount any other possibilities and pin all your hopes on one outcome.
No body was found quickly and exhaustive searching went on for day after day. Unless the river had been in full flood, it is unlikely it would have moved far, particularly as a body sinks before de-composition and bloating causes it to rise again. It is no surprise that this case, viewed by millions through the media, has puzzled many.
Now, the police have decided to release personal details about the individual, causing even more speculation. Hard to understand the motive behind this other than to try and quell abduction rumours and suggest that it is more likely that she took her own life.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Did occur to me that if she does reappear, she’s possibly got a strong case for suing the police for disclosure of personal information.
Quite.
The behaviour of this police force is surely gonna come under close scrutiny, once ( hopefully ) this case has been resolved.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Supposedly stories were being sold to the papers and one was going to run the story, so the police decided to do it first

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Supposedly stories were being sold to the papers and one was going to run the story, so the police decided to do it first
Every single aspect of this case is grim. I really do feel for the family.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
I'm watching Sky News right now - don't know why I put myself through this ever morning as Kay Burley just winds me up!!

On one hand they are reporting on the distress being caused to the family by all the speculation - and then what do they do? They have an old bloke on who is a dog behaviour expert ... and the Q&A is just creating more speculation!

They're now walking the route she'd have taken and just gone past a little parking area full of media vans with satellite dishes ... with all sorts of possible scenarios being suggested ... i.e. yet more speculation!

I think everyone - including the media - should just leave it to the police now.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Makes sense to be honest, my belief was that the police obviously spoke to the family first before releasing the personal information to the press.
They would have had to agree, one would like to think, there must have been a reason and this sounds like a plausible one, even if it is just a threat.
Those jumping up and down at the police, should hold their horses, we do not know everything and have I have faith (because if you don't what else is there) that they are doing everything for a reason.

Not all of the police are rapists and racists, there are some very good people doing a very important job.

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The behaviour of the Lancashire Police has caused much speculation, rumour and gossip. From the earliest moments of the case they declared it a cut and dry situation. She had clearly fallen in the river. Although there was no evidence to back this up. This is almost unknown in modern policing. To discount any other possibilities and pin all your hopes on one outcome.
This is just factually wrong according to a recent Police statement. They stated that they have always been working on 3 possibilities. It’s absolute common sense that the most likely outcome based on all the evidence they have (eye witnesses, vast amounts of CCTV from the area etc) is that she went into the river. They were always careful with the wording of this most likely hypothesis, that ‘she went in the river’ rather than saying she jumped in or fell in like you have accused them of.

I think they have done a great job. This is an extremely sad missing person tragedy, I’m not sure what else they could have done?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Maybe not delete completely? - that would be a bit drastic but it wouldn’t really bother me if it was closed for further comments tbh

- the idle discussion and morbid curiosity into what happened to this poor lady has just about run its course IMO 😟

I think other posters have made good points about the media focus on the Nicola Bulley story compared to other equally horrible things in the news -and talked about prejudice and media selection bias -

However, the NSC response to recent events seems to reflect the same bias IMO For example - 12 pages on one vulnerable woman going missing yet a thread about the absolute devastating impact an Earthquake has had on Syrian refugees and Turkish citizens (including proving links links to how we can help) has received little interest nor attracted the compassionate comments that we’ve seen posted on this thread. Endless discussions about this one mortgage advisor who went missing yet a thread that has highlighted the tragedy of up to 75,000 Syrians and Turkish people dead or dying in the horriblest of circumstances imaginable has gone largely unnoticed or commented on.

I just don’t get it 😕
What theories can we have about an earthquake ?

Perhaps it was a secret underground nuclear test ? Maybe caused by aliens ? Was Putin trying a new superweapon at his base in Syria ?

Those sort of discussions won't get much traction so the thread will be shorter :shrug:

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
Quite.
The behaviour of this police force is surely gonna come under close scrutiny, once ( hopefully ) this case has been resolved.

Whatever the police do nowadays, they are subject to close scrutiny. That's why the Senior Investigating Officer will be running a policy book which details the 'Whys and Wherefores' of every policy, decision, strategy and action taken in an enquiry, including a detailed hypothesis of what they are dealing with. It obviously helps focus and direct the enquiry but a huge part of why they do it is to demonstrate why they did what they did when there is a subsequent court case, review, enquiry or complaint about how they acted. Everyone's an expert and the police are always under attack whatever they do, without the majority of people ever knowing more than a very small part of whatever it is they are dealing with.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
People talk about what they want to talk about. You're over thinking it.

I find the words of yours I have highlighted in bold just about one of the most disrespectful, inappropriate things I have ever read in my 16 years on NSC.
Sorry you feel that way - but over thinking it I am not and I am certainly not diminishing the value of this lady’s life and horror for the family by pointing out some obvious observations:

If any thing is inappropriate it’s all the chat forum, online gossip, speculation and media frenzy about this poor lady’s disappearance which has been over the top rather than me pointing out the imbalances here of how people have reacted to one person missing compared to 10000,s of people dying or missing as a result of a single event.

I honestly don’t get it and we will have to differ but apologies if people found my remarks offensive.

Edit - just to add, if we are talking about ‘inappropriate’ responses to this case, the police releasing private medical information and tarring this lady’s reputation with releasing her background alcohol issues is disgraceful IMO. How about having a thought for how her kids will have to live with this going public too. It’s appalling.

Last edited:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
This is just factually wrong according to a recent Police statement. They stated that they have always been working on 3 possibilities. It’s absolute common sense that the most likely outcome based on all the evidence they have (eye witnesses, vast amounts of CCTV from the area etc) is that she went into the river. They were always careful with the wording of this most likely hypothesis, that ‘she went in the river’ rather than saying she jumped in or fell in like you have accused them of.

I think they have done a great job. This is an extremely sad missing person tragedy, I’m not sure what else they could have done?
This. 100%.

This is the second time this morning where we have someone who has misread, misinterpreted or misunderstood events. Mo Gosfield declared above 'From the earliest moments of the case they declared it a cut and dry situation'. I certainly don't recall the police ever making such a declaration. All they did was focus on what they considered to be the most likely scenario, while keeping an open mind.

Earlier this morning, we had another contributor suggesting this thread should be deleted 'Given family have asked for appalling speculation around her case to end'.
The trouble is, that 'given' wasn't accurate. What the family actually appealed for, was that 'appalling speculation surrounding her private life needs to stop'. Not the same thing at all. This lack of scrutiny led to 3 other people giving it a thumbs up, and led another contributor to post that deleting the thread 'feels like the right thing to do'.

All based on false assumptions. There's a lesson to be learned here.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Don't see any harm with discussing this topical news story on here and I've read nothing that is even remotely offensive. So best not to try and find offence as that's the narrative we are told to do in todays society ...... be the first to call offence and campaign.

I do think Police have appeared shambolic which has fuelled everyone having theories. Could have some relation to them releasing the vulnerable story as its plays down abduction and increases the river theory. Police need to look at themselves for what they created here to an extent. Public will always speculate and thats fine.

Most normal people are aware of where the line to not over step is

**edit - I'd argue the family would prefer this case to be kept in the public domain

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sorry you feel that way - but over thinking it I am not and I am certainly not diminishing the value of this lady’s life and horror for the family by pointing out some obvious observations:

If any thing is inappropriate it’s all the chat forum, online gossip, speculation and media frenzy about this poor lady’s disappearance which has been over the top rather than me pointing out the imbalances here of how people have reacted to one person missing compared to 10000,s of people dying or missing as a result of a single event.

I honestly don’t get it and we will have to differ but apologies if people found my remarks offensive.

Edit - just to add, if we are talking about ‘inappropriate’ responses to this case, the police releasing private medical information and tarring this lady’s reputation with releasing her background alcohol issues is disgraceful IMO. How about having a thought for how her kids will have to live with this going public too. It’s appalling.
From what I have read, it seems that before the police released the private medical info, some neighbours/acquaintances were using social media to threaten to sell their stories to the press.
The police releasing that info seems to have warded that off.

Horrific, isn't it?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Earlier this morning, we had another contributor suggesting this thread should be deleted 'Given family have asked for appalling speculation around her case to end'.
The trouble is, that 'given' wasn't accurate. What the family actually appealed for, was that 'appalling speculation surrounding her private life needs to stop'. Not the same thing at all. This lack of scrutiny led to 3 other people giving it a thumbs up, and led another contributor to post that deleting the thread 'feels like the right thing to do'.
Just to reiterate- since your post is directly after mine - I personally don’t think the thread should be deleted but it certainly wouldn’t bother me if all the comments speculating and gossip about possible suicide and talk of where bodies would be washed up etc stopped.

AFA thread reactions are concerned - in my experience you can’t assume to know why people give a thumbs up to certain posts or not to others and certainly can’t complain when they do - people have a right to respond how they like to every post on here - in my experience it’s best to not take the ‘reaction’ icons too seriously or start counting them on other people’s posts - anonymous people on internet forums use the reactions icons in numerous different ways so you will start reading things into people’s behaviour that simply isn’t there otherwise or allow them to negatively influence reasonable contributions to a discussion topic.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
From what I have read, it seems that before the police released the private medical info, some neighbours/acquaintances were using social media to threaten to sell their stories to the press.
The police releasing that info seems to have warded that off.

Horrific, isn't it?
I guess it must be money which is motivating these neighbors/acquaintances. They must be pretty desperate.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

On reflection, I think I was somewhat harsh. Re-reading your post I think it was the wording rather than your sentiment that I took the wrong way. My apologies .

As and aside, refreshing to see a rational response to my post. Thank you.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Have to agree with this. The family were obviously suffering from all the online speculation and would be whodunnit experts who were going to the area with their own theories. The Police could have released what they knew right at the outset but there was no need. It was only done, and the family seem to agree, to stop the ridiculous speculation. Also there was a suggestion that some people were going to sell stories to the press. They would no doubt be people that knew of her issues but were prepared to make a buck out of it (and let's be honest, there are rags out there that would be only too willing to publish) and this release has put a stop to that. Some have said that they should have just released she was high risk however that would just lead to more questions and if they weren't answered, more speculation.

I would suspect they would rather have not released that info but their hand was forced by all the social media traffic.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Just to reiterate- since your post is directly after mine - I personally don’t think the thread should be deleted but it certainly wouldn’t bother me if all the comments speculating and gossip about possible suicide and talk of where bodies would be washed up etc stopped.

AFA thread reactions are concerned - in my experience you can’t assume to know why people give a thumbs up to certain posts or not to others and certainly can’t complain when they do - people have a right to respond how they like to every post on here - in my experience it’s best to not take the ‘reaction’ icons too seriously or start counting them on other people’s posts - anonymous people on internet forums use the reactions icons in numerous different ways so you will start reading things into people’s behaviour that simply isn’t there otherwise or allow them to negatively influence reasonable contributions to a discussion topic.
My point wasn't about a thumbs up.

It was about using a 'Given', i.e. effectively using a quote from the family (and getting that quote wrong) to justify deleting the thread, and then three other people approving of that post, also presumably without checking what the family were actually complaining about.

I'm not having a go at anyone here. It's more of a comment about social media. Once you see something in print, it firms up, crystallizes, and somehow becomes more real. I'm sure I'm guilty of it as well by the way.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
All sorted by more stringent penalties for knife carrying. I and many others don't feel the need to do so....so why are so many youngsters doing it?.....because its status orientated amongst their peer group. They are under no more threat than elderly people or any other group. Re-classify them as dangerous weapons, alongside guns and introduce custodial sentences for possession.

I guess it must be money which is motivating these neighbors/acquaintances. They must be pretty desperate.
Unfortunately HT, although on a much smaller scale, when my daughter was in the public eye, every shithouse out there is up for selling a story and equally as bad there are still editors prepared to pay out for the said tales.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here