Minutes silence

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rohana

I'm.Actually.Dead.
Feb 16, 2010
Shoreham-By-Sea
On the start of Match of the Day just now, they had footage of the tributes from around the country.

West Bromwich Albion had their two big furry mascots standing with the players in the centre circle for the minute. I'm sure it was meant well, but there's something deeply incongruous about a bloke in a giant comedy bird suit attempting to be part of a poignant tribute to 96 dead souls.

I say this- I can't remember Gully being on the pitch for ours- I'd certainly hope he wasn't.

Gully wasn't on the pitch

Not this time, no.

ATvQOYB.jpg

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
The fact that it happened in a neutral ground goes to show that it really could've been anyone - it was Liverpool there on that day due to the draw. It nearly happened to Spurs fans a couple of years earlier in the same place. The problem was known about, and those in charge allowed it to happen. They then lied about it and blamed the victims - including a 10 year old child - for causing it with drunken behaviour. They continued to lie about it for more than 20 years. This is why it should be remembered.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Why don't all English football clubs remember the poor souls in the Bradford Fire?
Two reasons. Partly because Bradford wasn't a shocking cover-up, but also because the people who died at Bradford were all sitting down. This obviously goes against the current orthodoxy that sitting down to watch football is 'safer' than standing up; which is why the authorities (football and civil) aren't so keen to see it remembered. Obviously we all know, standing up to watch football is not intrinsically safer or more dangerous than sitting down, and what killed the people at Bradford was the fact that the stadia of that era were all deathtraps. That was a major contributing factor to Hillsborough as well, but of course there is the whole disgusting cover-up which is why it, rightly IMO, has a higher profile.

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
My own thoughts on this matter is that the owners of the football club knew about the problems with their turnstiles and did nothing about it. I do not recollect any members of the Sheffield Wednesday Board being questioned or charged with neglect, for obvious reasons the spotlight is focused on the Police who are charged to keep Law and Order. Would this tragedy have happened if the turnstiles were in correct working order?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I'm probably going to get some stick for this but...................... These minutes of silence are becoming a bit much for me and I resent being told what to do when someone I never knew has died, irrespective of the personal tragedy for the family or club involved. It's going to come to a point where we are obligated before every game to be silent or clap loudly for a player or a fan we have nothing in common with, never met, seen on the pitch or even played in the same division as. I save my empathy for my family, friends and people I love and that extends to my club but not someone else's. I stayed in the concourse yesterday until the kickoff, thats not disrespectful, just honest............

I would usually agree with you, but not on this occasion. The 96 that died were fellow football fans following their team, just like you did yesterday, one minute of your time is not very much to ask for really.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The fact that it happened in a neutral ground goes to show that it really could've been anyone - it was Liverpool there on that day due to the draw. It nearly happened to Spurs fans a couple of years earlier in the same place. The problem was known about, and those in charge allowed it to happen. They then lied about it and blamed the victims - including a 10 year old child - for causing it with drunken behaviour. They continued to lie about it for more than 20 years. This is why it should be remembered.

Why the team that got 44,000 supporters against a team that got 22,000 supporters was put in the end that held 16,000 as opposed to the end that held 25,000...is beyond me.

B52

Jan 23, 2013
Super Seaford From the South
I must agree with the comments on the playing of You'll never walk alone it brought tears to my eyes and i thought the minutes silence was magnificently observed apart from that guy who shouted right at the beginning. When you consider the amount of children attending i have nothing but upmost respect for the parents/guardians and these young ones for their behaviour the silence of all was deafening and very poignant.
Absolutely agree with this, it brought a lump to my throat.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I remember watching the Bradford report on the BBC, live, and the poor old man with his head alight,and the commentator saying" That poor man, someone help him" Really broke me up at the time, I believe he died about a week later

Sadly he did. That period in time was quite dark with Luton Town v Millwall before and Heysel shortly after. I think a fan was killed at the Birmingham City v Leeds United match too. I like to think it was the start of a prospect for better times though.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
just a shame that they didn't get their act organised enough to actually observe the silence at 15:06....

Exactly, idiotboy Reynolds was wittering on throughout the entire designated minute. In fact I looked at the big screen during the silence and it was already 15:08

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Exactly, idiotboy Reynolds was wittering on throughout the entire designated minute. In fact I looked at the big screen during the silence and it was already 15:08

The Amex clocks have always been fast.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I'm probably going to get some stick for this but...................... These minutes of silence are becoming a bit much for me and I resent being told what to do when someone I never knew has died, irrespective of the personal tragedy for the family or club involved. It's going to come to a point where we are obligated before every game to be silent or clap loudly for a player or a fan we have nothing in common with, never met, seen on the pitch or even played in the same division as. I save my empathy for my family, friends and people I love and that extends to my club but not someone else's. I stayed in the concourse yesterday until the kickoff, thats not disrespectful, just honest............

I admire you for being so honest here.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

You do have something in common with them. You're human.

No one's forcing you to give up a minute to remember anyone. You're perfectly allowed by law to stay on the concourse. If you live to 70 you'll only have 36,792.000 to play with. Why waste one on someone's memory when you could be finishing your beer?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
A minutes silence is just that "silence" Usually in respect for those have sacrificed their lives for their country (Rememberance Sunday) The passing of a major dignity or influential person (Princess Dianna). In the wake of a tragic event (9-11). Hillsborough is a case apart, it could have happened to us at Highbury in 83. Hillsborough is about 96 people who set out to watch a football match and tragically through circumstances of events never returned home. It is only when you have children yourself that you realise the full implications of what happened that day. What happened has happened and can never be changed, the events of Hillsborough and Bradford changed the face of football in this country and produced the stadiums we now sit in.
His chant of "Justice for the 96" although well intended was at the wrong time hence the shout of "quiet"

I know your post is well intentioned but that particular line is pathetic. I don't have children but have many people I love in my life, friends and family, but I don't suppose I'd be that bothered if they died because I don't have children. :tosser:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
For what it's worth, it's not the same Eddie Spearritt.

Thanks Edna, I've been wondering about that since I read the post that said it was. Couldn't find anything on Google, so was going to follow it up on here.

Regardless, it's an awful part of the story I hadn't heard before.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports