Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Minutes silence

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
I'm probably going to get some stick for this but...................... These minutes of silence are becoming a bit much for me and I resent being told what to do when someone I never knew has died, irrespective of the personal tragedy for the family or club involved. It's going to come to a point where we are obligated before every game to be silent or clap loudly for a player or a fan we have nothing in common with, never met, seen on the pitch or even played in the same division as. I save my empathy for my family, friends and people I love and that extends to my club but not someone else's. I stayed in the concourse yesterday until the kickoff, thats not disrespectful, just honest............

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm probably going to get some stick for this but...................... These minutes of silence are becoming a bit much for me and I resent being told what to do when someone I never knew has died, irrespective of the personal tragedy for the family or club involved. It's going to come to a point where we are obligated before every game to be silent or clap loudly for a player or a fan we have nothing in common with, never met, seen on the pitch or even played in the same division as. I save my empathy for my family, friends and people I love and that extends to my club but not someone else's. I stayed in the concourse yesterday until the kickoff, thats not disrespectful, just honest............

Nothing wrong with being honest. I didn't know the people who died, but for me having gone to football at that time, i remember that could have happened to any of us and therefor feel a level of empathy.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I don't recall the silence for the Heysel anniversary.

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
do you feel the same about Remembrance Sunday?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

You are not obliged to join in. You did not want to, so you stayed on the concourse which is absolutely fine. Had you made a spectacle of yourself by disrupting the minute's silence and therefore annoying those that wanted to join in, then that is another matter, but you didn't, so that's fine. Am not sure what reaction you wanted by posting on here though?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I don't recall the silence for the Heysel anniversary.

Fault lay at both sets of fans and the stadiums feet. There was punishment and there was regret, it was dealt with. It's remembered between scousers and Italians. If your question is just to have a go at scousers, I'd say its in poor taste.

As for yesterday, I thought the whole stadium showed utter class, well done all behind the scenes and fans alike. The temporary chant just showed the anger that still exists from the 25 year police and government cover up. It was an emotional silence.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
I thought the shout was 'united'. Glad I was wrong.

That's exactly what I thought at the time. In hindsight probably something about 'fans united' etc. still the wrong time though however well intentioned

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
You are not obliged to join in. You did not want to, so you stayed on the concourse which is absolutely fine. Had you made a spectacle of yourself by disrupting the minute's silence and therefore annoying those that wanted to join in, then that is another matter, but you didn't, so that's fine. Am not sure what reaction you wanted by posting on here though?

Not sure what you mean by reaction, this is a forum littered with opinions and this thread is about the minutes silence

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
A minutes silence is just that "silence" Usually in respect for those have sacrificed their lives for their country (Rememberance Sunday) The passing of a major dignity or influential person (Princess Dianna). In the wake of a tragic event (9-11). Hillsborough is a case apart, it could have happened to us at Highbury in 83. Hillsborough is about 96 people who set out to watch a football match and tragically through circumstances of events never returned home. It is only when you have children yourself that you realise the full implications of what happened that day. What happened has happened and can never be changed, the events of Hillsborough and Bradford changed the face of football in this country and produced the stadiums we now sit in.
His chant of "Justice for the 96" although well intended was at the wrong time hence the shout of "quiet"

Last edited:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
A minutes silence is just that "silence" Usually in respect for those have sacrificed their lives for their country (Rememberance Sunday) The passing of a major dignity or influential person (Princess Dianna). In the wake of a tragic event (9-11). Hillsborough is a case apart, it could have happened to us at Highbury in 83. Hillsborough is about 96 people who set out to watch a football match and tragically through circumstances of events never returned home. It is only when you have children yourself that you realise the full implications of what happened that day. What happened has happened and can never be changed, the events of Hillsborough and Bradford changed the face of football in this country and produced the stadiums we now sit in.
His chant of "Justice for the 96" although well intended was at the wrong time hence the shout of "quiet"

Exactly.
The tragedy happened to fellow fans in a stadium. A minutes silence in stadiums was respected impeccably all around the country. If nothing else the respect shown does show to the world that our football fans are not all bad.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
The fan was starting a "justice for the 96" chant, which he thought was correct and he obviously realized his error quickly and so shut up. Perhaps this chant should have been started after the silence.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
do you feel the same about Remembrance Sunday?

That's pretty much my point though, if we carry on like this it won't be important. Depending on what the media decide is relevant we could be doing it every other week and the significance of events will be watered down.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
On the start of Match of the Day just now, they had footage of the tributes from around the country.

West Bromwich Albion had their two big furry mascots standing with the players in the centre circle for the minute. I'm sure it was meant well, but there's something deeply incongruous about a bloke in a giant comedy bird suit attempting to be part of a poignant tribute to 96 dead souls.

I say this- I can't remember Gully being on the pitch for ours- I'd certainly hope he wasn't.

Agree so much! The Mascots always have a stupid fixed grin too!

Rohana

I'm.Actually.Dead.
Feb 16, 2010
Shoreham-By-Sea
Sorry, but where do you get "To be fair" from.
Yes we all agree with justice for the 96, but 28000 people were observing a minutes silence in memory of the poor 96 souls.
To start a chant during that minute, was damn right rude IMHO

I don't think the person was being rude, I heard it and assumed it was a misguided attempt at what he thought would be a fitting gesture.

:shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here