Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Minutes applause for the Albion fan who sadly passed away at Falmer.

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
I think that is an understatement of the success rate. However, it is certainly the case that the earlier that CPR is attempted, the more likely that it will be successful.

I don't remotely claim to be an expert in this area but I know of a study of American doctors - when asked if they would accept CPR (assuming the medical need for it) 90% said they would refuse it.

(Johns Hopkins Precursors Study, 1998. Courtesy of Joseph Gallo, "Life-Sustaining Treatments: What Do Physicians Want and Do They Express Their Wishes to Others?")

I don't remotely claim to be an expert in this area but I know of a study of American doctors - when asked if they would accept CPR (assuming the medical need for it) 90% said they would refuse it.

(Johns Hopkins Precursors Study, 1998. Courtesy of Joseph Gallo, "Life-Sustaining Treatments: What Do Physicians Want and Do They Express Their Wishes to Others?")

That's a very odd statistic, since it is always the case that the need for CPR will never be understood at the moment of need by the person who will benefit from it.

I'm no expert, but I do have a friend who collapsed with a cardiac arrest in a London street last year and recovered - probably because he was lucky enough to be surrounded by a few people with medical training who intervened immediately.

He reports, incidentally, that he had no awareness whatsoever of what had happened until he woke up in hospital. It was certainly the case that, without CPR, he would have died.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Isn't that completely out of context in respect of EP's post? The study related to doctors towards the end of their life and they are presumably taking into account quality of life should the procedure be successful. They would probably be expressing the same comment about other interventions following potentially fatal conditions.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

so they'd rather just be left to die? i suspect from the reference title this is relating to resuscitation in hospital and dont think this has any bearing on the success rate.

edit: brief search, yes, they'd rather not be kept alive on a machine or resusitated with brain damage. context is everything.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
3 people have been given CPR at the Amex stadium over the past 4 years after a cardiac arrest and have survived. One of the major contributors to the survival is the use of a defibrillator of which their are 8 located around the stadium. Very sad that a fan didn't make it on Friday night.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
3 people have been given CPR at the Amex stadium over the past 4 years after a cardiac arrest and have survived. One of the major contributors to the survival is the use of a defibrillator of which their are 8 located around the stadium. Very sad that a fan didn't make it on Friday night.

I'd always assumed, obviously mistakenly, that there was a defibrillator at every station nowadays. Certainly there was a big push to have them installed on the Brighton mainline some years back.

Seems to me a lasting way to honour this poor man's memory as a fellow fan would be for us fans (via NSC?) to raise money for a defibrillator at Falmer station.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
It seems the time has come for those of us who would not wish for such a vulgar, North Korean tribute in the event of their own untimely passing to wear a permanently attached "Do not applaud" wristband. I am sure these could be produced cheaply and promoted vigorously in the club shop.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
It seems the time has come for those of us who would not wish for such a vulgar, North Korean tribute in the event of their own untimely passing to wear a permanently attached "Do not applaud" wristband. I am sure these could be produced cheaply and promoted vigorously in the club shop.

I really don't see the vulgarity in applauding someone's life and commemorating their passing, especially after, at a guess,80 or so years supporting The Albion. They should be thanked by the fan base for their loyalty and dedication to the cause.

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
The Gent supported the Albion for approximately 80 years, some 75 years more than some on this forum. He attended games in his 90's, had seen us win 5-0 and was travelling home from a game when other supporters and his family undoubtedly season ticket holders as well, witnessed his untimely departure. A minutes applause is not a lot to offer. He may have been sick and had a DNR in place, but you need to be seen to be doing something particularly in such a public place.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Am I the only one who finds applauding an unknown man who died at the age of 92 a bit odd? If we applauded every fan that dies we'll be doing three or four times a game
No your not. Grief and loss is a personal thing, and I think that this sort of thing should be left up to his family. 92 is also a fine age.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
The Gent supported the Albion for approximately 80 years, some 75 years more than some on this forum. He attended games in his 90's, had seen us win 5-0 and was travelling home from a game when other supporters and his family undoubtedly season ticket holders as well, witnessed his untimely departure. A minutes applause is not a lot to offer. He may have been sick and had a DNR in place, but you need to be seen to be doing something particularly in such a public place.

Viewed like this, you are undoubtedly right -it is not a lot to offer. I really DON'T wish to appear insensitive, but I am not sure that it is a good idea to start doing this as a regular thing, or ask the club to become involved. The club, to their credit, print obituaries in the programme, and this is entirely appropriate and welcome -these people have devoted much of their lives to supporting the Albion. However, we could find ourselves doing several rounds a match, or choosing two out of five to applaud, say, and I could envisage a situation whereby one family gets annoyed as it was done for one and not the other, or that there are clamours to stop the practice as it is becoming overwhelming and too routine, which would be very upsetting for the families. Doubtless there would always be exceptions such as after the Shoreham disaster, so I fully accept that there is a place for applause, and certainly am not against the practice as such. I would also add that our family tragedy was printed in an Albion programme 20 years ago, and so can fully appreciate and have personal experience of the situation.
What could and should be done to recognise the loss of Albion fans? The idea from another post that there is a collection for a defibrillator at Falmer and perhaps elsewhere near the stadium strikes me as being a good idea and surely is something to which the vast majority would contribute. I hope that the club would give this consideration prior to a match next season in honour of said gent and other cases. Prior publicity would ensure a large sum raised, I am sure.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Am I the only one who finds applauding an unknown man who died at the age of 92 a bit odd? If we applauded every fan that dies we'll be doing three or four times a game

Fair point, and you are technically right. But I still thing a minute's applause feels appropriate given the circumstances

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
just like to say my old man is 80,season ticket holder since goldstone......a fan as much as the rest of us

he just said to me " i would hate anyone applauding me for dying".....surely must be a family permission thing

but out of interest to the people that know these things,do the platforms have a defibrillator,if not would a defibrillator have made a difference,and how much do these things cost?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
just like to say my old man is 80,season ticket holder since goldstone......a fan as much as the rest of us

he just said to me " i would hate anyone applauding me for dying".....surely must be a family permission thing

but out of interest to the people that know these things,do the platforms have a defibrillator,if not would a defibrillator have made a difference,and how much do these things cost?

I agree. Don't think we should be presumptuous if we don't know who it is. Also normally applauses / chants tend to be for more tragic circumstances.

Not that it's any less tragic but the old boy was 92..

Yes defibs all round the ground and at both platforms

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Viewed like this, you are undoubtedly right -it is not a lot to offer. I really DON'T wish to appear insensitive, but I am not sure that it is a good idea to start doing this as a regular thing, or ask the club to become involved. The club, to their credit, print obituaries in the programme, and this is entirely appropriate and welcome -these people have devoted much of their lives to supporting the Albion. However, we could find ourselves doing several rounds a match, or choosing two out of five to applaud, say, and I could envisage a situation whereby one family gets annoyed as it was done for one and not the other, or that there are clamours to stop the practice as it is becoming overwhelming and too routine, which would be very upsetting for the families. Doubtless there would always be exceptions such as after the Shoreham disaster, so I fully accept that there is a place for applause, and certainly am not against the practice as such. I would also add that our family tragedy was printed in an Albion programme 20 years ago, and so can fully appreciate and have personal experience of the situation.
What could and should be done to recognise the loss of Albion fans? The idea from another post that there is a collection for a defibrillator at Falmer and perhaps elsewhere near the stadium strikes me as being a good idea and surely is something to which the vast majority would contribute. I hope that the club would give this consideration prior to a match next season in honour of said gent and other cases. Prior publicity would ensure a large sum raised, I am sure.

To me (as you point out)the printing of an obituary in the program seems a sensible recognition of the supporter involved and I too like the idea of the collection

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here