Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Minute's applause at all Premier League games next weekend in support of Virgil Van Dijk?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Will there be a vigil for Virgil?

Maybe get a Transit and a 3 wheel bike involved and I am in. A Vigil Van Trike. It is what he would have wanted.

NB I did toy with replacing the bike with Ellen but thought it was too on the nose.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I do wonder how much of this is the club / Liverpool Echo keeping the story in the news and tormenting Pickford for the tackle. VVD seems to be a good chap and hasn't come out and spoken bad of Pickford, but then again maybe he's under sedation still.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Seriously. Listen to the MUSIC. I've not seen anything like this since Princess Diana died.

[tweet]1318273713687678983[/tweet]

I got to 28 seconds and then turned it off. I've been feeling a bit sick today, and that almost tipped my innards outwards.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
"Virgil, quick! Come see
There goes Robert Lee“

Only works for us oldies.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Terrific defender, and I'm sure a good guy, but the fuss and total MOURNING around his injury- an occupational hazard, let us not forget- is nauseating.

I think it's Thursday evening for the front door pot-banging, if you want to join us all.

I get the snark and yes, it's amusing... but I do think it's a fair point that this is one of the very very best footballers in the world that has had a potentially career threatening injury... and that doesn't happen very often. Bad injuries do occur regularly, but I'm trying to think the last time a player of van Dijks stature was injured in this way

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Is this not the most embarrassing thing ever - still like Laporte loss last season for Abu Dbabi City - there chance of winning league has gone

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I hope his recovery doesn't develop into an Odyssey for him.

Wasn't that written by D%27oh.jpg ?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I get the snark and yes, it's amusing... but I do think it's a fair point that this is one of the very very best footballers in the world that has had a potentially career threatening injury... and that doesn't happen very often. Bad injuries do occur regularly, but I'm trying to think the last time a player of van Dijks stature was injured in this way

ACL tears are rarely career threatening these days. He walked off the pitch, and with surgery he may well be back sooner that you think. To name a few players of that sort of stature who tore their ACLs and came back; Shearer, Ruud VN, Roy Keane, Falcao, Del Piero, Baggio, Xavi, Totti, Pires, Zlatan, Gazza, Walcott, Luke Shaw, Aaron Ramsey ...I'm sure other blog sites have longer lists...

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Paul Gascoigne in The FA Cup final some years ago. Don't think he was quite the same player after that, so I hope technology has improved a bit since then and VVD comes back 100% fit.

I just missed the previous post. You could say Wallcott lost some pace as well, so its not a case of will he come back, but will there be long term damage.

Last edited:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
ACL tears are rarely career threatening these days. He walked off the pitch, and with surgery he may well be back sooner that you think. To name a few players of that sort of stature who tore their ACLs and came back; Shearer, Ruud VN, Roy Keane, Falcao, Del Piero, Baggio, Xavi, Totti, Pires, Zlatan, Gazza, Walcott, Luke Shaw, Aaron Ramsey ...I'm sure other blog sites have longer lists...

I don't think Walcott and Luke Shaw were quite the names I was aiming for, but yes that is a long list with some good names on it. Have to say I don't remember Shearer's injury at all, or indeed nearly all of those, so maybe, hopefully, probably, VVD will be back soon with no issues at all. Gazzas is the one that stands out there

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I don't think Walcott and Luke Shaw were quite the names I was aiming for, but yes that is a long list with some good names on it. Have to say I don't remember Shearer's injury at all, or indeed nearly all of those, so maybe, hopefully, probably, VVD will be back soon with no issues at all. Gazzas is the one that stands out there

Walcott's ruled him out of the 2014 World Cup, I think that was an ACL tear like VVD. He was back within 9 months.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Word on the street is The Brighton Kop are opening a book of remembrance.
Touching gesture .

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Hmm, revelling in somebodies injury on Zahaesq levels, the Liverpool obsession continues for some

Not revelling in his injury in the slightest (I think he's a great player and probably a very decent bloke too): just commenting on the nauseating levels of media attention it's generated, for something which- for a footballer- is an occupational hazard that occurs fairly regularly to a greater or lesser degree. Where was the wall-to-wall Sky coverage of other players' injuries?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Not revelling in his injury in the slightest (I think he's a great player and probably a very decent bloke too): just commenting on the nauseating levels of media attention it's generated, for something which- for a footballer- is an occupational hazard that occurs fairly regularly to a greater or lesser degree. Where was the wall-to-wall Sky coverage of other players' injuries?

Didn't Elton John release a single when Tyrone Mings injured his knee in 2015?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here