Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Millom: HMO (conversions) vandalised by locals

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
I don't think they're illicit though they put the applications through and get approved without question on our road.

The largest one that popped up was the biggest joke. He built a two story rear extention and single story side extention without going though planning as he thought he could do it under permitted development, he hadn't even done a house holder application. Neighbours complained then just before the works were completed he put a retrospective application through which was approved within weeks. A few months ago he moves 6 people in, I complained again only to be told that he had put in an application for an HMO, it doesn't show up on the council's HMO register!

They have one wheelie bin for general waste and one for recycling, collected every two weeks so most weeks they pile their rubbish on the pavement which gets ripped open by foxes. The neighbours can rarely park outside their homes anymore so they have to park in adjacent roads. It may sound like nimbyism but it's absolute carnage.
Yea that sort of thing sounds familiar. You wait till the 6 fall out with each other or neighbours then you'll have the old bill round every week. Having lived in HMO's in the past I would say 1 in ten is a wrongen and thats Sussex.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Ah, Millom.

As a dyed-in-the-wool suvvener, having never ventured further north than Uxbridge, one of the first chaps I met at uni many, many moons ago declared himself from Millom. I was with my mate The Vicar (long story -- from Orpington) and we innocently asked where Millom was. "Between Cockermouth and Grange-over-Sands" came the barely indecipherable and distinctly unhelpful response. Enlightened as we were not one iota, we resorted to guffaws. As a result Millom always was a meme for The Vicar and me.

And that is my only acquaintance with Millom, until now. Somehow, it never ever came up in conversation or passed through my consciousness. From the above news, may Millom rest in unpleasant peace.
Yes - distinctly unhelpful. I live in Grange-over-Sands and can't think of any circumstances in which I could class Millom as being 'between' here and Cockermouth!!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
A shocking act of bigotry but the system of councils giving consent for HMO's is a disgrace.

We had one down our road a year ago but within in next few months that will rise to seven adding over 30 new residents to our quiet residential road. No provisions for parking or services. As long as the developers don't change the external layout the applications are approved without going through planning, with no public consultation and in matter of weeks.

The people who have moved in come from all different walks of life and are mostly very pleasant but many have come from waiting lists of neighbouring councils, our council is clearly benefiting from this scheme financially yet rents for very ordinary properties for families have hit eye watering levels. Something is fundamentally wrong with the system IMO

My daughters mum's rent had nearly doubled in five years forcing her to move to a less desirable area paying over £1100 a month, without me contributing she would be on the verge of being homeless. A hardworking women who has contributed so much to this country shouldn't have to be living hand to mouth. The working poor in this country are being shafted.
Sad thing is if she worked 16hrs a week the tax payer would cover almost all of the rent. A lot of employers only have part time employees because of the system not because people don’t want to work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here