Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Millom: HMO (conversions) vandalised by locals

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I think you’ve answered your own question haven’t you?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Amazing.
That's the first time I've clicked on a Daily Mail link in many years, and I became temporarily incredibly depressed within 30 seconds of reading the various SHOCKING / DEATH / HORROR / MURDER / RAPE headlines all over it.

Imagine people's long-term psychological state after reading this paper on a regular basis.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Amazing.
That's the first time I've clicked on a Daily Mail link in many years, and I became temporarily incredibly depressed within 30 seconds of reading the various SHOCKING / DEATH / HORROR / MURDER / RAPE headlines all over it.

Imagine people's long-term psychological state after reading this paper on a regular basis.
The trouble is.....their readership.........f***ing loves it.

I'm sure my son's ex's mother is all over it.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Of all the headlines on the planet, I wonder why this one was brought to NSC.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

I’m probably quite naive, I just can’t understand how or why there’s a long-term and regular appeal to reading a constant stream of depressing and openly heavily biased articles.

I’d be genuinely interested to learn what attracts people to it and how it affects their psyche.

Similarly to the people who are frequently on Twitter/X. So, so depressing. Maybe I’ve just gotten overly soft!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’m probably quite naive, I just can’t understand how or why there’s a long-term and regular appeal to reading a constant stream of depressing and openly heavily biased articles.

I’d be genuinely interested to learn what attracts people to it and how it affects their psyche.

Similarly to the people who are frequently on Twitter/X. So, so depressing. Maybe I’ve just gotten overly soft!
It reinforces their prejudices, confirms that there really is a swarm of swarthy infidels peering over their hedge, lasciviously eying their knickers and, because they are actually not in any actual jeopardy, they feel the Mail is keeping a beady eye on all the threats for them.

Sick, really. Get a life, FFS. And enjoy it!

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
They were talking about this today on Talk TV
Not particular interested in getting into this topic as it’s clearly been raised to stoke anger but as a fellow Albion fan I’d implore you to not spend your days watching Talk TV. Get your news and entertainment from a non-Murdoch source and I’m sure you’ll find your outlook on life is less depressing.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
A shocking act of bigotry but the system of councils giving consent for HMO's is a disgrace.

We had one down our road a year ago but within in next few months that will rise to seven adding over 30 new residents to our quiet residential road. No provisions for parking or services. As long as the developers don't change the external layout the applications are approved without going through planning, with no public consultation and in matter of weeks.

The people who have moved in come from all different walks of life and are mostly very pleasant but many have come from waiting lists of neighbouring councils, our council is clearly benefiting from this scheme financially yet rents for very ordinary properties for families have hit eye watering levels. Something is fundamentally wrong with the system IMO

My daughters mum's rent had nearly doubled in five years forcing her to move to a less desirable area paying over £1100 a month, without me contributing she would be on the verge of being homeless. A hardworking women who has contributed so much to this country shouldn't have to be living hand to mouth. The working poor in this country are being shafted.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
They were talking about this today on Talk TV
Were they really?

I hereby appoint you key reporter of stuff no normal people give a shit about. Any chance you could repost page nine of The Sun for us regularly? I’m sure we’ll all be fascinated.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Mrs.W loves it, for the showbizz and celebs stuff, they do it better than anyone else (I gather). She’d on autopilot screen out the politics, stirring and would you believe …… sport.

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
..... the system of councils giving consent for HMO's is a disgrace.
I thought there was going to be a crackdown on this, fines etc for illicit HMOs. The problems start if a dodgy letting agency starts turning them into defect halfway houses or county line drug dens. Ive seen it first hand and your neighbourhood could go to hell in a matter of weeks.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Millom: full of racists or just full up. Or nimbys?
None of these really.

Millom is a fairly sad run-down ex-industrial town. It didn't really exist until about 1850, then was a 'planned' town to serve the iron ore industry. And since that packed up, there is little left. Clarks shoe factory shut about 15 years ago, and that was pretty much the last decent business.

Like Barrow, it's a bit stuck-in-the-past. It's not a tourist destination, and to be honest, it's not somewhere you move to. It's quite isolated and so the folk who live there are generally long-term families, fairly close-knit, and unused to visitors or 'new' inputs.

It's the last bit that is probably behind this. Don't immediately look for the bad in everyone.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Mrs.W loves it, for the showbizz and celebs stuff, they do it better than anyone else (I gather). She’d on autopilot screen out the politics, stirring and would you believe …… sport.
Good luck!

(I think the Two Ronnies, in their famous sketch, described the Mail as read by the wives of those who think they run the country. What does that say about you? ??? :wink: )

Best wishes as always :thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
None of these really.

Millom is a fairly sad run-down ex-industrial town. It didn't really exist until about 1850, then was a 'planned' town to serve the iron ore industry. And since that packed up, there is little left. Clarks shoe factory shut about 15 years ago, and that was pretty much the last decent business.

Like Barrow, it's a bit stuck-in-the-past. It's not a tourist destination, and to be honest, it's not somewhere you move to. It's quite isolated and so the folk who live there are generally long-term families, fairly close-knit, and unused to visitors or 'new' inputs.

It's the last bit that is probably behind this. Don't immediately look for the bad in everyone.
Sounds like the sort of place that anyone with any ambition would get out of as soon as they could, and anyone without any ambition would be happy to claim benefits in until some brown people rocked up.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I thought there was going to be a crackdown on this, fines etc for illicit HMOs. The problems start if a dodgy letting agency starts turning them into defect halfway houses or county line drug dens. Ive seen it first hand and your neighbourhood could go to hell in a matter of weeks.

I don't think they're illicit though they put the applications through and get approved without question on our road.

The largest one that popped up was the biggest joke. He built a two story rear extention and single story side extention without going though planning as he thought he could do it under permitted development, he hadn't even done a house holder application. Neighbours complained then just before the works were completed he put a retrospective application through which was approved within weeks. A few months ago he moves 6 people in, I complained again only to be told that he had put in an application for an HMO, it doesn't show up on the council's HMO register!

They have one wheelie bin for general waste and one for recycling, collected every two weeks so most weeks they pile their rubbish on the pavement which gets ripped open by foxes. The neighbours can rarely park outside their homes anymore so they have to park in adjacent roads. It may sound like nimbyism but it's absolute carnage.

Ken Livingstone Seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Maui, Hawaii
None of these really.

Ah, Millom.

As a dyed-in-the-wool suvvener, having never ventured further north than Uxbridge, one of the first chaps I met at uni many, many moons ago declared himself from Millom. I was with my mate The Vicar (long story -- from Orpington) and we innocently asked where Millom was. "Between Cockermouth and Grange-over-Sands" came the barely indecipherable and distinctly unhelpful response. Enlightened as we were not one iota, we resorted to guffaws. As a result Millom always was a meme for The Vicar and me.

And that is my only acquaintance with Millom, until now. Somehow, it never ever came up in conversation or passed through my consciousness. From the above news, may Millom rest in unpleasant peace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here