Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mill Road Park & Ride. First and last time.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Only used park and ride once and that was enough (on a rainy day). May have improved since but the inefficiency of loading up the buses drove me spare. I don't understand this health and safety argument which sounds more like a convenient excuse. At other clubs, several buses sit with their doors open and you are told to get on any one of them. The driver is perfectly capable of policing the number of people on board. All he has to do is close the door when the bus is full. They then leave in convoy.

The major benefit of this system is that you don't have to stand in the rain/cold while you're waiting. Whether or not it's quicker, that's a huge bonus.

As it is, I'll be sticking with the train.

A very good point. Confirms that Insider's response obtained from the Club is absolute nonsense. You don't have stewards at normal bus stops counting people on buses.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
If more people did this there wouldn't be as many fatties in the country.

I am sorry but if your main problem with watching Brighton play at The Amex is having to stand still for 30 minutes while you wait for a bus then nothing anyone says here is going to make you feel better. It just sounds like you are trying to find problems, why can't you just enjoy the game we get to watch in our wonderful new stadium, I honestly can't understand your attitude.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009

Thank heavens we have an all seater stadium. If it was still standing you would miss half the match, being unable to stand still.

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
Fair enough Lord B. Thanks for the answer.

Could the Club not have made the case that Coldean was not nearby, in the same way as Woodingdean was not. There must have been a line defining "nearby" - who set that line ? Was Kingston village included ? How much of Coldean and Moulescombe ? I am only wondering were we so pleased to have found a site that we took on responsibility than we should.

I've said this on another thread but im sure once the pathway from Woodingdean to the Amex is finished the council will be getting complaints from residents about the extra cars parked in Woodingdean, I can see the scheme getting extended to North Woodingdean in the future.

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
Indeed. And that's an important consideration.

But the whole operation would be quicker if, pre-match, the P&R buses did a U-turn around the fly-over at Falmer Village and then turned straight back on to the A27 to drop passengers at the Falmer Station bus stop.

I happen to know that it was considered a couple of years ago, but was rejected, no doubt for a sound reason, but I still wonder if it is worth a re-think.

That may work before games but I would think there would be too many waiting in a queue after, thus blocking the area.
Incidently I joined last Saturdays queue at 1705 at the bottom of the steps opposite the south stand exit and finally caught a bus at 1745 arriving at Mill Road at 1755. The longer bus queue, I was told by a steward, was due to the change in R and S buses.
There are plenty of parking places a short distance from the Lewes Road that are not in the new 'no parking zone' where there are several buses to the stadium or just 30 minutes walking.

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
I prefer the 'fatties' to the selfish, constantly whining babies. :thumbsup:

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
Thank heavens we have an all seater stadium. If it was still standing you would miss half the match, being unable to stand still.

Although you make a point, there have always been seats available for Albion home matches.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I've said this on another thread but im sure once the pathway from Woodingdean to the Amex is finished the council will be getting complaints from residents about the extra cars parked in Woodingdean, I can see the scheme getting extended to North Woodingdean in the future.

You are probably correct. As long as the Club don't have to pay for it.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Jeez man. You've given a LOT of thought to this.

Your talents in logistics and traffic management are wasted on the dickheads on NSC.

Why don't you and Golstone hire a church basement and hold a support group?

Oh...and Barber out, obviously.

Actually I haven't given a huge amount of thought to this, as it doesn't really need much thought, just applying a bit of common sense.

In my business we're always looking to keep customers happy, and see if we can improve our customer service.

Like I said in my Original comment, I'll be there whatever, but we have lots of newer fans who we should be trying to keep happy.

Oh, and Barber in BTW

That may work before games but I would think there would be too many waiting in a queue after, thus blocking the area.

Indeed. With large numbers of users, there is a lot to be said for the post-match pick-up point being at the same place as people were set down before the game. If that's the main thinking, the stadium coach park is the best place.

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
The Club- like any business -should always be looking to improve customer service

The transport was and always be an issue. The change in the provision of special buses was ill thought out and has made the situation worse. An own goal.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
I presume that those who leave home mid-morning and return after 7pm are single,the affect on the rest of the family for those who regularly leave the wife and children for hours because of a game of football must lead to a bad atmosphere as a result of selfishness.
Even arriving home late for the evening meal can have a bad effect on that evenings plans so leaving five mins before the final whistle is a small gesture which is appreciated.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I live near the cricket ground and have no problem at all when parking is limited because there's a match on. But then it's been there longer than me so I'd be pretty dim to complain.

I do have sympathy for people who have had a football ground nearby foisted on them. However, I could never understand the sad muppets around Withdean who would stand outside their houses noting number plates, especially as most had room for 2-3 cars on their drive.

As we all pay road tax, I think we should have the right to park where we like unless legal restrictions are in place. I've always used public transport to the Amex though and it surprises me how wedded people are to their cars, regardless of the alternatives.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I presume that those who leave home mid-morning and return after 7pm are single,the affect on the rest of the family for those who regularly leave the wife and children for hours because of a game of football must lead to a bad atmosphere as a result of selfishness.
Even arriving home late for the evening meal can have a bad effect on that evenings plans so leaving five mins before the final whistle is a small gesture which is appreciated.

You presume wrong. My other half loves football (albeit Spurs) at least as much as me and fully understands why I might want to go to the Albion. It sounds like your missus doesn't. I have small kids ( loads) and a grown up son and I work Long, Long hours to support them. In return she is happy to give me a few hours back to follow my club.

Which makes the whole mill road whine-in even more ridiculous as I schlep down from Essex for home games.

enterprise

Jul 12, 2010

I agree with the above. Don't get me wrong I'm so grateful for the stadium and all the changes the club have made over the last few years. My only complaint is the travel. I also realise that the public transport put on is good and that the queuing and traveling time for P&R busses could be worse and I will be using Mill Road moving forward. However I'm not lucky enough to have a wife who appreciates my passion for BHA. I also have 2 young kids (under 4 and thus not old enough to join me on a season ticket). Leaving home from Pulborough at 2pm and getting home at 6pm to help with tea, bath, bedtime etc was always ok but now if I want to watch the whole game (which I always will) my day will increase for an hour either side of the match and thus cause issues at home. All this will mean is that instead of attending all matches I'll be down to 15 odd games and the club will lose my consumer spend of £10 - £15 per game. On an individual basis nothing for them to worry about but if many people are in the same position as me this soon adds up.

Hopefully continuous improvement to the system will be made to speed up the process and the club could do worse than read some of points made by people earlier. With the extended platform at Falmer is there ever going to be a day when the railways can schedule 8 carriage trains pre and post matches? You go to venues in other countries and the train system is so much better. I know that again this is outside the control of BHA but the stadium, match days, crowd size needing to travel by train has hardly come as a big surprise? Will no doubt get shot down for such thoughts but ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here