Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mill Road Park & Ride. First and last time.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Do any of the Seagulls Travel coaches come anywhere near you, the coach park is just so easy and close, not cheap but so is the parking I would imagine.
I was doing the train but it's too much for me with my trouble so the coach has made my ST possible, changed everything for me

NWSS run a coach and I'll give that a bash next season I think, it's a bit less flexible but avoids much of the pain

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
It's simple really. Before parking restrictions at Coldean I could leave home at 1.45 and I got back home by about 5.40, plus I had the benefit of a reasonably invigorating 20 min walk each way. Now I have to leave home earlier, get home later, stand in endless queues, and no exercise.

And forget all the crap about 25,000 crowds. At the Goldstone we accommodated many more than that without any major fuss ... and we could park in all the roads between Hove Park and Dyke Road.

Can I suggest you park at Bexhill Road in Woodingdean. You say you dont mind a 20 minute walk each way, and Uncle Speilburg reckons he can do in strolling in 28 minutes.
So no parking restrictions, you dont need to use Park and Ride, and you still get your invigorating walk, you could even cut across the fields if you want to get back to Haywards Heath for the 6-00 news

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
For the past two seasons I have parked in Coldean without upsetting one single resident as far as I'm aware. Now I have to find an alternative. I don't do Park & Rides, but figured I'd have to give it a go.

Got to Mill Rd about 1.50 expecting it to be full with a plan to head to Mithras House.

About 8 spaces remaining at the top of the hill. Got on a bus immediately, but waited about five minuted for it to fill up. We then set off at a decent pace until about half a mile from the Falmer exit off the A27. From then on a painfully slow crawl through the obviously inadequate road system over the A27. We don't need to be taken to the door of the fecking stadium. Why don't the P&R buses drop off at the University? Must be quicker to get there than to the stadium and then we can walk from there.

After the game I left WSU immediately after the final whistle and joined a long line for the buses. 30 mins between joining the line and getting on the bus. Bloody frustrating. I don't do queuing. When the bendy buses load it takes forever because they load the entire bus through the front door only. I politely asked a steward why they didn't load through the rear doors as well (half the time to fill the bus) ... the reason "health & safety"!!! That makes absolutely no sense (mind you, elf and safety never does) and I will write to the club requesting a proper explanation.

On arriving at Mill Road I was grateful we were parked at the top of the road. There was a very long line of traffic crawling up the hill to the roundabout so I got off the bus and walked the last quarter mile to my car.

Got home at 6.15, 40 mins later than when parking at Coldean. Having left home at 1.30, that was 4hrs 45mins to watch a football match lasting 2 hrs including half time. Far too bloody long.

I'm certainly not going through that again. Next home game I'll try the train from HH, prob via Lewes to avoid the crowds.

This whole transportation/parking thing is starting to ruin my enjoyment of the match day experience.

So, by the way, is our inability to win a football game.

Why on earth don't you start off earlier. Sounds like a kid that's just had his sweets nicked, mum,mum the bus was late.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
It's simple really. Before parking restrictions at Coldean I could leave home at 1.45 and I got back home by about 5.40, plus I had the benefit of a reasonably invigorating 20 min walk each way. Now I have to leave home earlier, get home later, stand in endless queues, and no exercise.

You could always run on the spot?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I have decided that Goldstone doesn't mean this thread. I choose to believe that he is on a wind up.

Seriously...given that he has been posting on here for 10 years, he knows the struggles we've had and that many posters on here endure long and uncomfortable journeys to the Albion, he must know how petty and, frankly, ridiculous this thread will appear.

So. I don't believe he is genuinely distressed about mill road.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
First they came for the people who don't do queueing,
But I did not speak out,
As I don't mind queueing ...

It's not just the elderly but people with mobility issues to consider if they were to drop people off at the uni and make them walk.
There's a free minibus shuttle service to and from the stadium, from just opposite the bus stop on the Sussex University site. But the two buses that provide the service are already reasonably well used. An extra rush of passengers who need to use it could create the need for a bit of a wait. That would partly defeat the point, since the minibus service is there to provide convenient, easy access for people with mobility difficulties.

That's been my understanding all along, if I'm wrong I will apologise.

I'm sure someone (LB) will be able to point out the parking constraints attached to the planning application.
The planning condition is that the Club must devise and implement a travel plan that is approved by a range of parties, each of whom will have identified particular problems that arise from the numbers attending games. Parking in Coldean and Moulsecoomb is one such problem, that could only get worse as the stadium grew in size. The consultation with residents resulted (on balance) in a perceived need for action and that's how we've arrived at the current situation. As with all planning applications, the costs of the scheme have to be carried by the developer, although - in this case - it would seem that these costs are being off-set by any parking surpluses that are achieved (after taking enforcement costs into account).

The club had to pay for the CPZ set-up costs and the annual running costs, this seems to be being financed from the increased transport element of match-day/season tickets and any parking fines that a levied.
Am I allowed to attempt the 'Beach Hut Manoeuvre' and complain that, as a bus pass holder, with free travel to the stadium, I have to pay a surcharge on my match ticket, to subsidise car users who want to pay nothing to park?

I thought not.

Travel will continue to be a problem until they requisition the nearby field to accomodate more coaches, buses and cars, and improve the junctions with the A27, neither of which will happen.
How many TENS OF MILLIONS OF POUNDS do you think it would cost the Club to "improve the junctions with the A27" and ensure that queues didn't back up to block the flow of traffic on the Highways Agency's trunk road?

I do not know the ins and outs of the planning process - but common sense tells you not to take responsibility for things outside of your control. I'd have thought Coldean is far enough away not to take responsibility for, otherwise - why not Woodingdean ?
Money was spent on improving the cross roads and traffic signals at Woodingdean. Access to the stadium was part of the reason.

Possibly. But why would the Club think they could (or should) control parking in Coldean - and why would it be expected ? Who raised it as being a responsibility of the Club ? At what point did it come into the equation ? Was it introduced by the Club or was it a demand of the planning authorities ?

And you did not answer my question. Why not Woodingdean ?
As a former transport planner in a highways department of a local authority that was consulted about the very first planning application for a stadium at Falmer, I can confirm that it was the City Council's highways department that requested the Club to demonstrate that they would take responsibility for evaluating and resolving any parking issues that would arise in nearby residential areas, before a planning application could be approved. The Club followed this up, by appointing transport consultants to do precisely that.

The Club were mad getting involved in taking any responsibility for match-day parking at Coldean.

You say that as though the club had a choice in the matter.

I do not know the ins and outs of the planning process - but common sense tells you not to take responsibility for things outside of your control. I'd have thought Coldean is far enough away not to take responsibility for, otherwise - why not Woodingdean ?

LB's post (#102) on the thread below sums up the general planning situation.

http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...-how-to-make-up-the-8-million-shortfall/page6

BHA contended initially that legally enforced controlled parking in Moulsecoomb and Coldean would be unnecessary since the voluntary arrangements around Withdean had worked successfully for a decade and could be transposed. They tried this for the 2011/12 season but 600 or so drivers decided it wasn't for them and here we are with the predictable outcome and £100k's of additional costs to the club. Imo the club has more cause to moan.

... and that, boys and girls, is the end of 'Ask Bracknell' for this evening. Time for something to eat.

Tune in next time.

Thank you to Alex, Alex Dawson oo! oo! for his assistance.

:)

Am I allowed to attempt the 'Beach Hut Manoeuvre' and complain that, as a bus pass holder, with free travel to the stadium, I have to pay a surcharge on my match ticket, to subsidise car users who want to pay nothing to park?

I thought not.

If you wake her up with this then your 'groovy gang' membership will be suspended.

And I thought you travelled to the Amex by train not bus?

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I suppose I don't understand why people moan about the queues. I can't see how that many people can get away any easier from that location. I always get the train back to Brighton having left after final whistle, and yes there is a bit of a queue but it would be odd if there wasn't.

I went to Upton park couple of seasons ago and the queue to get back on tube after the game was far worse (and not because of the result).

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I have decided that Goldstone doesn't mean this thread. I choose to believe that he is on a wind up.

Seriously...given that he has been posting on here for 10 years, he knows the struggles we've had and that many posters on here endure long and uncomfortable journeys to the Albion, he must know how petty and, frankly, ridiculous this thread will appear.

So. I don't believe he is genuinely distressed about mill road.

Actually, yes I am distressed about Mill Road and I will not be using it again.

And I'm serious about not queuing. I just don't do stuff that involves queuing unless I absolutely absolutely have to, like airport security and immigration queues. Even then I make a point of pointing out when I get to the head of the queue that they need more staff.

I honestly have better things to do than queue ... and pretty much anything is preferable, except perhaps going to the dentist.

If the train doesn't work for the next home game, then I guess it's parking in Bevendean and walking for 35 mins, much preferable to standing in a line for 30 mins.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
Actually, yes I am distressed about Mill Road and I will not be using it again.

And I'm serious about not queuing. I just don't do stuff that involves queuing unless I absolutely absolutely have to, like airport security and immigration queues. Even then I make a point of pointing out when I get to the head of the queue that they need more staff.

I honestly have better things to do than queue ... and pretty much anything is preferable, except perhaps going to the dentist.

If the train doesn't work for the next home game, then I guess it's parking in Bevendean and walking for 35 mins, much preferable to standing in a line for 30 mins.

You honestly prefer walking for 35 minutes to standing still for 30?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here