Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Military Aircraft

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
No photo I’m afraid but a two seater spitfire was pulling a few rolls over cuckmere haven yesterday lunch time.

Do you know where that comes from? Late July into mid August saw it a lot over Lewes area, including one 10 spell where it seemed to be climbing and deliberately stalling over and over again.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Do you know where that comes from? Late July into mid August saw it a lot over Lewes area, including one 10 spell where it seemed to be climbing and deliberately stalling over and over again.

Sorry no.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018

It's based at Goodwood. Operated by Boultbee Flight Academy. If you have enough dosh and desire you can fly in the front seat. Single seaters also there, that PPLs can upgrade to for about £50k I think.

Otherwise, like me, you can go and look closeup. Given a good day and friendly ground crew. Have walked around it and others.

I was at Southdown Gliding the other day and a Spitfire radioed in to advise he was passing. Flew around the airfield with a fantastic growl, then did loops over the downs. Amazing sight.

Also, look for 'Silver Spitfire' that is doing a circumnavigation and left from Goodwood a few weeks ago.

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
20190804_125119.jpg

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/in-pictures-british-f-35-jets-fly-with-american-b-2-stealth-bombers/

There are B2''s deployed at fairford for a couple of weeks, the USAF have. Not been shy in showing them off this year.
Next week sees 9 B52's. arriving at Fairford for an exercise.

Also ongoing at Waddington an exercise involving German,Italian Anerican UK and Israeli aircraft...

View attachment 114835

They flew overhead on Friday , from West to east flanked by 4 F 35s .Went over the North sea and then a little while later appeared again heading back inland. Fantastic sight.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Thinking of a trip to Wales next year to take in the Mach Loop. Anyone done it ?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Thinking of a trip to Wales next year to take in the Mach Loop. Anyone done it ?

I live within the 'Mach Loop' - Most days we have low level flying, these days it's mostly Hawks, Texans, Hercs, F15s, various choppers and the occasional Osprey. UK frontline jets, A400s and all visiting aircraft have been 'banned' for about a year after A Typhoon got too close to a mountain and did a performance climb out. Also, there was a lot of local opposition that probably factored in as well.

From a visitor perspective, you'd need to be prepared to sit on top of a mountain all day with the prospect of not seeing anything. It gets very busy in the holidays, plenty of shocking parking practices, many end up with a ticket. The level of bellendery among the 'avgeek' community is quite astonishing, I couldn't spend a day up there with them!

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
I live within the 'Mach Loop' - Most days we have low level flying, these days it's mostly Hawks, Texans, Hercs, F15s, various choppers and the occasional Osprey. UK frontline jets, A400s and all visiting aircraft have been 'banned' for about a year after A Typhoon got too close to a mountain and did a performance climb out. Also, there was a lot of local opposition that probably factored in as well.

From a visitor perspective, you'd need to be prepared to sit on top of a mountain all day with the prospect of not seeing anything. It gets very busy in the holidays, plenty of shocking parking practices, many end up with a ticket. The level of bellendery among the 'avgeek' community is quite astonishing, I couldn't spend a day up there with them!

Heres the Typhoon in question from Twitter.

https://twitter.com/dunibear/status/1054332235808161793

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

That's the one! Incredible the furore that was caused by that tweet and is partially the genesis of my dislike for some of the people that regular visit - The author was vilified and abused all over the place by those who somehow think they set the rules. They've even told me how I should be parking in one of the lay byes they use....

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
That's the one! Incredible the furore that was caused by that tweet and is partially the genesis of my dislike for some of the people that regular visit - The author was vilified and abused all over the place by those who somehow think they set the rules. They've even told me how I should be parking in one of the lay byes they use....

I go camping overlooking RIAT ( the big Airshow ) for a week every year and have done for 9 years my neighbours ( we always have the same plot) there are not serious spotters but some of the spotters are right up themselves and just plonk themselves in front of tents as its the best spot...they soon get moved on if they are in my way as I'm there for a week and not a day tripper.

They seem to like waving their big lenses about....but having been in the RAF for 30 years as Ground Crew and flying I can bore any of them to death and they soon move on....if that dont work bring on the BBQ smoke...

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I go camping overlooking RIAT ( the big Airshow ) for a week every year and have done for 9 years my neighbours ( we always have the same plot) there are not serious spotters but some of the spotters are right up themselves and just plonk themselves in front of tents as its the best spot...they soon get moved on if they are in my way as I'm there for a week and not a day tripper.

They seem to like waving their big lenses about....but having been in the RAF for 30 years as Ground Crew and flying I can bore any of them to death and they soon move on....if that dont work bring on the BBQ smoke...

https://www.channel5.com/show/secrets-of-the-royal-flight/

Not sure if this is about TQF or 32, but may be interesting:thumbsup: [MENTION=4675]Frutos[/MENTION]

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Gutted and still hanging on to a vague hope that some july events will be ok. Convincing myself its logistics of worldwide travel that will cause a big problem by then

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Gutted and still hanging on to a vague hope that some july events will be ok. Convincing myself its logistics of worldwide travel that will cause a big problem by then

Well thereby lies the problem, even when all this is 'over', it's going to take a while for things toget back to anything like normal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here