Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mike Dean

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Someone asked (on a thread I can't find) if teams prepare differently for different refs. So I asked a Manager. Here's my interpretation:

Players do get warned about a refs history with the club, propensity to use red/yellow cards and style of refereeing.
Managers will try being chummy with the ref, or will try to draw their attention to things the opposition might be up to - and they'll do this before the game as well as during it.
The impression I got was that some refs are perceived as pretty arrogant (could that be because there are few consequences to their errors?)

I can't share more details, but as someone suggested on the other thread. With all the preparation that goes on in top class football, it would be remiss not to think about one of the key influences on a game.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Mike Deans red card from yesterday has been overturned. That's too in less than a week. I think Mike could do with a little rest. Lee Mason for that matter as well.

Absolute nerds ruining football at the moment.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
The Complete And Utter Shysters red card from yesterday has been overturned. That's too in less than a week. I think Mike could do with a little rest. Lee Mason for that matter as well.

Absolute nerds ruining football at the moment.

Anthony Taylor too... The standard of officiating is truly shocking

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I have to say I thought the FA would do nothing to focus attention on the inability of Dean to see what's in ront of his face after 20 viewings (Mason also culpable). Now that they have at least made partial amends, how about a three match ban for Mitrishit and a permanent ban for the two morons??

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
His last game before his break is our cup game against the Foxes.
Let's pray he doesnt want to make a point.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS

It's the inconsistencies that grind my gears. Example being Alli Mac being elbowed twice? three times? and nothing doing... Under a different ref, red card for the miscreant, overturned but at least recognised and dealt with at the time.

Every game you see things that are normally punished, but get ignored, or normally fine, but get punished.

It's a shame that there isn't a professional body that they belong to, to oversee things and ensure the rules are observed consistently... oh.

I wonder if Dean will be a little more restrained with his reffing decisions tomorrow night... :lol: Yeah, let's face it he'll want to go out on a high!

(I was going to say, he'll want to go out with a bang but with the death threats, that's not the best phrase to use!)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Its ****ing difficult to be a ref though, people often forget that part. Probably because not many got experience from doing it... I've only reffed about 20 youth games and that was ****ing hard, far harder than coaching 30 screaming, restless 11 year olds, and I can barely imagine how difficult it must be to ref when the games are 100x quicker than those I was in charge of.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
It's the inconsistencies that grind my gears. Example being Alli Mac being elbowed twice? three times? and nothing doing... Under a different ref, red card for the miscreant, overturned but at least recognised and dealt with at the time.

Every game you see things that are normally punished, but get ignored, or normally fine, but get punished.

It's a shame that there isn't a professional body that they belong to, to oversee things and ensure the rules are observed consistently... oh.

I wonder if Dean will be a little more restrained with his reffing decisions tomorrow night... :lol: Yeah, let's face it he'll want to go out on a high!

(I was going to say, he'll want to go out with a bang but with the death threats, that's not the best phrase to use!)

I was BAFFLED that the Ale Mac one wasn't even reviewed on Saturday

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
A terrible mistake that made VAR a laughing stock, but I really like Mike Dean. There I said it.

Plays up to the "pantomime villain role" sometimes because he knows we all love a pantomime villain, especially if they are a referee.

If you haven't already, watch some interviews he has given. You might change your mind.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
A terrible mistake that made VAR a laughing stock, but I really like Mike Dean. There I said it.

Plays up to the "pantomime villain role" sometimes because he knows we all love a pantomime villain, especially if they are a referee.

If you haven't already, watch some interviews he has given. You might change your mind.

[emoji106] I genuinely find Mike Dean entertaining.

His no look yellow cards are a work of art. Hopefully he has a quiet game tomorrow mind.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Its ****ing difficult to be a ref though, people often forget that part. Probably because not many got experience from doing it... I've only reffed about 20 youth games and that was ****ing hard, far harder than coaching 30 screaming, restless 11 year olds, and I can barely imagine how difficult it must be to ref when the games are 100x quicker than those I was in charge of.

I can understand how it hard it is to ref games. I've only reffed junior rugby matches and that's tough enough, PL games are not only quicker but are on a greater public stage - I can truly see how mistakes are made in the spur of the moment. What I don't understand is how refs can look at an incident half a dozen times, in slow motion and from several different angles and still get it wrong.

The two Dean red cards this week were supported by another ref and with the benefit of VAR: getting it wrong in those circumstances should get him questioning whether he's still up for it

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

you can almost hear the TV football audience screaming 'behind you' when he is on...

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005

My job is difficult too... If I was shit at it, I would expect to lose it... These are professionals. It is their only job, they get help by looking at replays. I dont have much sympathy bar the obvious threats etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here