Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Midfield 3 - Kayal, Ince & Stephens

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If he's so good then how come no one else wanted to sign him apart from arguably the least attractive club in the top 3 divisions?

He was on a reputed £40k a week which would have put many off now he has got back to reality and would probably accept £10k a week which is a lot more than he gets at Blackpool, somebody will sign him in the summer when his short contract expires. An ideal left sided midfielder, which we dont have.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I agree with your description of our set-up yesterday, something that all the other posters (thus far) on this thread haven't picked up on, but disagree with your evaluation. Stephens did play wide left yesterday, as part of a 4-4-1-1 formation. Hughton has said that he prefers either 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1. These are the formations that we're going to have to get used to, and what this means is that we won't often see a midfield three of Kayal, Stephens and Ince. What we might see is Stephens playing the advanced central role with Ince and Kayal behind. Hughton seems to also prefer playing either midfielders in the wide midfield roles (e.g. Stephens) or full-backs (e.g. Calderon), as opposed to wingers. This gives us more solidity, but requires more intelligent movement from those wide midfield players. The 4-4-1-1 formation is made for Tex, but I'm not sure we've got another player in the squad that can perform that role, especially as KLL isn't up to much when moved inside. Maybe March or Baldock could do it, but I have my doubts. Hughton might have someone earmarked for the summer transfer window.

I don't actually disagree with any of your points. I'm a massive fan of Tex for example (as anyone that genuinely enjoys football should be as he's the only player in our squad with that level of technique, vision, skill and drive) but the formation we're currently playing falls flat without him in it, and also without the appropriate runners from the wide positions and/or central midfield to give him passing options. The result of that, as we saw on Saturday, is that he tends to then dribble far too much as the movement ends up being sadly lacking and leaves him with poorer passing options. On Saturday we were far too reliant on him being able to find CMS or Calderon because there were no relevant passing options coming in off the left who were looking to get in behind.

This is why my suggestion would be having Stephens as a box-to-box player (and this links back to the thread more). He'd inevitably have to be supported by someone that sits (Ince for me personally, although Kayal and Holla could do the job) but he'd give us much more verticality in that role than we currently have, he'd give Tex more runners to pick out and I think there would be a better balance in midfield as I think he is also very capable defensively for this level. Obviously the flaw in that would be that one of the other central midfielders misses out and you would be leaving the defence a bit more exposed as you'd effectively only have one sitting player (where we currently are playing with two). But for me I want to see attacking football and midfield runners are crucial to that. I guess the knock on effect of this, and the next question would be who to play on the left side if Stephens doesn't continue there; without Baldock, the only option seems to be Lua Lua but the reality is his off the ball movement is one of the weaker parts of his game so he wouldn't be able to replicate the role Baldock was playing anyway, hence the need for more runners from central positions although Houghton doesn't seem sold on Lua Lua at the moment. Either way Stephens doesn't seem to be the answer.

The other thing that struck me on Saturday was just how many long balls we played that bypassed the midfield. If we're going to continue playing that type of game then Tex is absolutely wasted and surely a direct replacement for him wont be bought come the summer and what we'll be after is midfield runners to support a central striker rather than a number 10 type player. If that's the case, a balanced midfield trio of Kayal, Ince and Stephens could work with Kayal and Stephens supporting a striker and Ince sitting. In regards to this season though, I would personally want Tex and Stephens in the team plus a sitter at home (for the reasons given above), with Stephens possibly being swapped out for a more defensive player away from home to give the back four more protection.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I thought Dale did very well on his full return yeasterday especially as he was playing out of position. Next season, I can see this trio working very well....

All three are right-sided and in the Wolves match more than any other this season our left side attack was non-existent for 80 minutes.

Classic 4-3-3 has a defensive midfielder & play-maker (Kayal) box to box (Ince or Stephens) attacking/creative (Teixieira, poss LuaLua, poss Solly March). 4-4-2 (Capello style) and the winger drops back into the four man midfield.

In 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-2-1 the box-to-box midfielder is more of a central midfielder than box-to-box. It is tricky to see both Stephens and Ince in the team because they both play the same role. But Ince is good enough for a place, how is the best way to play him?

Anyrate, it is arguable that Dale Stephens played well against Wolves? I don't think he switched the play at all like Ince does.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
He was on a reputed £40k a week which would have put many off now he has got back to reality and would probably accept £10k a week which is a lot more than he gets at Blackpool, somebody will sign him in the summer when his short contract expires. An ideal left sided midfielder, which we dont have.

If he was so good then why has no-one offered him more than the low wages he's likely to be on at Blackpool?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As I said probably put off by the £40k wages and to keep playing he signed a contract to end of season sk that would have meant a transfer fee. Will be available for free in the summer,somebody will grab him.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
As I said probably put off by the £40k wages and to keep pla ying he signed a contract to end of season sk that would have meant a transfer fee. Will be available for free in the summer,somebody will grab him.

Very good player at his best but where would he fit in? We play 2 holding, which he can't do and 3 attacking which he no longer has the mobility to play effectively IMO.
Apparently, he hasn't really recovered from his stress fractures of his spine and his mobility is compromised. I don't think he can play in anything other than as a ACM in a 4 as the which isn't how Hughton likes to play currently at least...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Very good player at his best but where would he fit in? We play 2 holding, which he can't do and 3 attacking which he no longer has the mobility to play effectively IMO.
Apparently, he hasn't really recovered from his stress fractures of his spine and his mobility is compromised. I don't think he can play in anything other than as a ACM in a 4 as the which isn't how Hughton likes to play currently at least...

As a left sided midfielder to support the left back. Sure he would have done better than Stephens played there then put Stephens along side of Kayal where he would be happier.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I don't actually disagree with any of your points. I'm a massive fan of Tex for example (as anyone that genuinely enjoys football should be as he's the only player in our squad with that level of technique, vision, skill and drive) but the formation we're currently playing falls flat without him in it, and also without the appropriate runners from the wide positions and/or central midfield to give him passing options. The result of that, as we saw on Saturday, is that he tends to then dribble far too much as the movement ends up being sadly lacking and leaves him with poorer passing options. On Saturday we were far too reliant on him being able to find CMS or Calderon because there were no relevant passing options coming in off the left who were looking to get in behind.

This is why my suggestion would be having Stephens as a box-to-box player (and this links back to the thread more). He'd inevitably have to be supported by someone that sits (Ince for me personally, although Kayal and Holla could do the job) but he'd give us much more verticality in that role than we currently have, he'd give Tex more runners to pick out and I think there would be a better balance in midfield as I think he is also very capable defensively for this level. Obviously the flaw in that would be that one of the other central midfielders misses out and you would be leaving the defence a bit more exposed as you'd effectively only have one sitting player (where we currently are playing with two). But for me I want to see attacking football and midfield runners are crucial to that. I guess the knock on effect of this, and the next question would be who to play on the left side if Stephens doesn't continue there; without Baldock, the only option seems to be Lua Lua but the reality is his off the ball movement is one of the weaker parts of his game so he wouldn't be able to replicate the role Baldock was playing anyway, hence the need for more runners from central positions although Houghton doesn't seem sold on Lua Lua at the moment. Either way Stephens doesn't seem to be the answer.

The other thing that struck me on Saturday was just how many long balls we played that bypassed the midfield. If we're going to continue playing that type of game then Tex is absolutely wasted and surely a direct replacement for him wont be bought come the summer and what we'll be after is midfield runners to support a central striker rather than a number 10 type player. If that's the case, a balanced midfield trio of Kayal, Ince and Stephens could work with Kayal and Stephens supporting a striker and Ince sitting. In regards to this season though, I would personally want Tex and Stephens in the team plus a sitter at home (for the reasons given above), with Stephens possibly being swapped out for a more defensive player away from home to give the back four more protection.

I don't disagree with any of this, either. What's more, I'd go further than that, and say that this is as cogent a bit of B&HA analysis that we get on this site. Thanks for typing.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yes I agree although I don't know if Holla or JFC are good enough even as baxk up. Id love Crofts back but can't see it happening

I actually thought Holla was one of the few solid performers in that dire Wolves game. Broke up play a few times and a couple of nice balls out to start attacks. Dreadful free kicks, admittedly.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I don't disagree with any of this, either. What's more, I'd go further than that, and say that this is as cogent a bit of B&HA analysis that we get on this site. Thanks for typing.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
As I said probably put off by the £40k wages and to keep playing he signed a contract to end of season sk that would have meant a transfer fee. Will be available for free in the summer,somebody will grab him.

Game of opinions and all that but not for me. He cannot go past anyone and although his range of passing is good, his lack of mobility would stop him from being effective there. The KOH of 5-10 years ago, yes very much so, but not now.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
A four-man pool of Ince, Kayal, Stephens, Holla and A. N. Other has the makings of one of the best midfields in the Championships.

Admittedly, Stephens is still looking a little rusty following his lengthy lay-off, but I have no doubt he'll return to the level he reached at the back end of last season.

He doesn't waste much and his work is tidy. His positional sense is decent. And he'll pop up with a goal or two.

I'd keep Holla. He can rotate with Ince when he needs a rest.

I've always believed Crofts to lack the pace and mobility of a Premier League player. But he was a very credible squad player- and he scored goals. But now he's a year older, with another nasty injury to recover from, and I'm no longer convinced he has a future at the club.

I can't find any reason to keep JFC.

This saving will go some way to recruiting another quality player. Next up....two new strikers...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
... :bounce: Worked well today - glad Chris agreed with us :lol:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I've thought that the Ince- Stephens - Kayal axis is not only our best midfield combo but is also good enough for the Top 6. I don't put Holla in that side.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I've thought that the Ince- Stephens - Kayal axis is not only our best midfield combo but is also good enough for the Top 6. I don't put Holla in that side.

Yes, we have decent options in central midfield. Thought Ince, Stephens and Kayal did very well yesterday. Ince, along with Stockdale, was my Albion man of the match yesterday. Holla will be decent back up for us next season. He looked really good when he first came in and was another player affected by Hyypia in my view. Hopefully, with a decent pre season, he can get back to that form and challenge the others.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
With this season almost over should we start experimenting? We cant build a team around any loan players. Lets get some ink on contracts. I too love Tex but how can we build around him if he leaves in the summer?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here