Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Midfield 3 - Kayal, Ince & Stephens

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Lets not get too carried away by our players. We are where we are for a reason.

And of the 3 we mentioned, 1 is a new signing, 1 hasn't played all season and 1 has played half the games this season til now. Irrelevant post - nobodies denying we've been shit most of the season. However this midfield trio instead of one with JFC & Gary Gardner is just a slight improvement no?!

Feb 14, 2010
And of the 3 we mentioned, 1 is a new signing, 1 hasn't played all season and 1 has played half the games this season til now. Irrelevant post - nobodies denying we've been shit most of the season. However this midfield trio instead of one with JFC & Gary Gardner is just a slight improvement no?!

On the Stockdale thread you were saying he kept us in it despite yet another goal keeping error. That means that our outfield players were hardly dominating at home against Wolves, which is what we must do next season if we have a chance of promotion. So lets not carried away by our players, there are a few worth retaining but many are not. I would also point out that many observed JFC was not pulling up trees but when they did people slagged them off. It seems that if people observe the obvious then some on NSC dont like it.

B52

Jan 23, 2013
Super Seaford From the South
It surprises me that no one has highlighted the obvious fact that we badly need a naturally left footed midfield player to give the team balance.
The first half Bennett was out there on his own, while all our play was down the right side, I don't think Lua Lua is the answer by the way, he is far more suited to the role of impact sub.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Yes to Stephens and kayal, I'm not convinced by Ince though. Good player yes, but his positional sense needs work

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Playing all three of them might not be as straightforward as all that. Our best performances lately seem to have been with a 4-2-3-1 set up - two defensive midfielders, with Calde, Tex and Baldock ahead of them. Could we afford to play two wide men in midfield with those three (Kayal, Ince and Stephens), leaving just one up front, or would we end up going very narrow?

That'll be something for CH to work out. I guess a lot will depend on whether or not we get Tex back next season.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It surprises me that no one has highlighted the obvious fact that we badly need a naturally left footed midfield player to give the team balance.
The first half Bennett was out there on his own, while all our play was down the right side, I don't think Lua Lua is the answer by the way, he is far more suited to the role of impact sub.

The opportunity was there to sign the best left foot in football but he went and signed for Blackpool and wont be earning a fortune their......Jamie O'Hara. He would have been a godsend for us.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
On the Stockdale thread you were saying he kept us in it despite yet another goal keeping error. That means that our outfield players were hardly dominating at home against Wolves, which is what we must do next season if we have a chance of promotion. So lets not carried away by our players, there are a few worth retaining but many are not. I would also point out that many observed JFC was not pulling up trees but when they did people slagged them off. It seems that if people observe the obvious then some on NSC dont like it.

I didn't post anything on the Stockdale thread? I highlighted 3 of our players who I feel would be great in midfield next season - I agree there needs to be a huge clear out elsewhere. I also agree and agreed at the time JFC isn't up to it - so don't know what more I can say? You've taken what I was saying all wrong...

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

First bit I agree. We did not attack on the left. Didn't need to really as we created enough, just about.

I think Lualua deserves a start every time.

Overall impression is a bunch of misfits. Has been for three seasons. Need a spine of the side.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I didn't post anything on the Stockdale thread? I highlighted 3 of our players who I feel would be great in midfield next season - I agree there needs to be a huge clear out elsewhere. I also agree and agreed at the time JFC isn't up to it - so don't know what more I can say? You've taken what I was saying all wrong...

Don't take it seriously. It's his modus operandi.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The opportunity was there to sign the best left foot in football but he went and signed for Blackpool and wont be earning a fortune their......Jamie O'Hara. He would have been a godsend for us.

If he's so good then how come no one else wanted to sign him apart from arguably the least attractive club in the top 3 divisions?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Stephens was utterly wasted yesterday. I completely got the logic of playing him wide left to try and replicate what Calderon does on the right (and what Baldock was doing on the left) of using his movement to get into the box and support CMS but it simply didn't work because he doesn't have the pace, mobility or skill to play that role.

For me he has impressed in the sub performances in the last few games where he has been able to come on, win tackles and get into the box with clever movement, which is a trait none of our other orthodox central midfielders do. I'd be starting him but as a box-to-box midfielder. He should never be wide left again as it negated the whole side of that pitch today.

I agree with your description of our set-up yesterday, something that all the other posters (thus far) on this thread haven't picked up on, but disagree with your evaluation. Stephens did play wide left yesterday, as part of a 4-4-1-1 formation. Hughton has said that he prefers either 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1. These are the formations that we're going to have to get used to, and what this means is that we won't often see a midfield three of Kayal, Stephens and Ince. What we might see is Stephens playing the advanced central role with Ince and Kayal behind. Hughton seems to also prefer playing either midfielders in the wide midfield roles (e.g. Stephens) or full-backs (e.g. Calderon), as opposed to wingers. This gives us more solidity, but requires more intelligent movement from those wide midfield players. The 4-4-1-1 formation is made for Tex, but I'm not sure we've got another player in the squad that can perform that role, especially as KLL isn't up to much when moved inside. Maybe March or Baldock could do it, but I have my doubts. Hughton might have someone earmarked for the summer transfer window.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
That's one mean motherf*cker of a midfield.

Love all three of them, delighted to see Stephens back.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Crofts should not make our starting 11, happy to have him as back up with JFC if he comes through his injury. I would definately be looking at getting Bennett back to play on the right side of midfield.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here