Micky Adams back as manager

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
MICKY ADAMS is making a sensational return as Albion manager. He has agreed a three-year contract and will be unveiled by the club at a press conference today, seven years after leaving for Leicester. Adams, 46, takes over from Dean Wilkins who has been offered his former role as first team coach after steering the Seagulls to seventh place in League One this season.

Andy Naylor speaks exclusively to Micky Adams and there are four pages of in-depth coverage.

For the full in-depth story pick up your copy of The Argus today and the Sports Argus over the weekend.

Thought you had to pay to advertise on here.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
WILKINS OUT ADAMS IN - The Argus

Andy Naylor speaks exclusively to Micky Adams and there are four pages of in-depth coverage.

For the full in-depth story pick up your copy of The Argus today and the Sports Argus over the weekend.

f***ing adverts :shootself

Seagoon

Feb 5, 2004
Provincial City
Was the decision in any way linked to getting the funding for Falmer?

There may be investors who want assurances that we'll have a Championship team by 2010 and the best way to impress them is to show real ambition by appointing a proven manager with a track record of having managed at a higher level.

Just a thought.

I think that's a fair point. Alternatively, you could take the view that MA would not have taken the job unless he was sure that the Falmer finances are all in place, given recent mumblings about how the current economic situation could cause problems etc. etc.

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
Wasn't that Peter Taylor?

In the end but if Mr Adams was for the club thru and thru why didn't he stay around. This is a subjective decision by DK. Our final league position was amazing considering the resources it was done with. DK and MA are good friends and DK obviously feels that he would rather have someone he's mates with at the helm.He's in charge so thta's his choice. Micky Adams has it cosy with us and therefore if things go wrong how long will it be before he is moved on? Is he a proven manager in the Championship? How did he do at Coventry? Where are Colchester playing next season. I understand why DK has leant towards a mate but in the long term is this the man to give us Championship football consistently? There's no track record there. That seems to be one of the reasons to get rid of DW. Despite his weaknesses in his management skills we ended up 7th. I would have thought that one option would have been to bring Micky back as director of football so that he could mentor DW. But of course that would have meant DK getting rid of Mr Hinshelwood, another old pal. Unless he created a Senior Director of Football, surely Mr Knight would be so daft to do that!?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I hope the fans' expectations don't beome a millstone around MA's neck.

QUOTE]

From what I read into this, its NOT the fans expectations that are of concern here. It may be Deadly Dicks.

Dick has made a very significant punt in removing a relatively sucessful manager, learning his trade, getting HIS team together and replaced him unceremoniously with a name from the past. I almost get the impression this is his last hurrah before Falmer.

Personally I am in two minds on reflection, on the one hand, Wilkins was not a good communicator, came over as aloof and not a "people person". he obviously had some issues with players - this business about - if you were not in the first team, you trained with the reserves and juniors and Wilkins would not talk to you. I heard that from 3 former players!!!! On the other hand he was building a team, he had got it how he wanted it, he attracted some very good loanees and when all is said and sone led us to 7th in the League when mostpeople were happy to avoid relegation.

I am convinced however this is money driven. I dont know but I would have thought that the club is desparate to get people in and maybe the ST's are not flowing in as they hoped. Mickey built a team on no money and maybe DK thinks that this can continue, especially with Bazza sunning himself in Scandinavia and the Eastern Bloc

We live in Interesting Times

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
I rather suspect this will be great news for Cox and Robinson, both of whom have been dropped for disciplinary reasons..

I don't believe they will dare to step out of line with MA on board.

We are going up!

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton
Very baffled by this story. Thought Wilkins was making good progress and had high expectations for next season under his leadership.

I'm ignorant of the full picture and so can't form a concrete opinion on this subject currently.

There is clearly a lot more to this story and undoubtedly more information will be released in the coming days..

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If I were Wes Fogden, Doug Loft or John Sullivan, I'd be signing those contracts very quickly!

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
When did Wilkins contract run out? Was it this summer? and all we have done is not offered him a new one? Or has he been relieved of his duties early?
im sure wilkins signed a 3 year deal last summer brett

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
I know three people who were unsure whether to renew their season-ticket but will now do so.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I know three people who were unsure whether to renew their season-ticket but will now do so.
For that reason alone, it's all got to be worth a punt - that aspect of it must have loomed large in their decision. I can't wait for the first game next season, whereas I couldn't be arsed to use my season ticket to see us against Swansea.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Maybe "all that business" was being stoked up by Hammond and O'Callaghan, with the connivance of the manager?

It certainly wasn't doing the club any good.

I'm sorry mate but you are starting to sound like a club mouthpiece and Dick Knight's apologist. You've posted several things in this thread hinting and suggesting that there's some major problem with Wilkins beneath the surface. (Now you're event suggesting he's deliberately tried to harm the club). Can I invite you to either tell us what DW is supposed to have done or else shut up.

To sack the guy (effectively) after just missing the play-offs is an outrageous decision. I have every respect for Dick Knight and Mickey Adams because I've been an Albion fan for 30 years but this is wrong.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
For that reason alone, it's all got to be worth a punt - that aspect of it must have loomed large in their decision. I can't wait for the first game next season, whereas I couldn't be arsed to use my season ticket to see us against Swansea.

says it all really

financially this is good management with an equallly good chance of on-the-pitch success too - exciting times and excitement sells tickets.

The more I think about it the more respect I have for DK

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Two men;

One man has served the club for about 16 years, playing over 300 times, and one of only 3 Albion scorers at Wembley, then producing a whole generation of first team players through the youth system, turning down good coaching jobs at more glamorous clubs, then managing the club to a very creditable and wholly unexpected flirt with promotion in his first full season.

The other man was at the club for about 2 years, winning promotion from a piss poor fourth division in his second season, off the back of one brilliant signing, then left when the first decent job offer came along.

As far as I am concerned, the words 'Albion legend' are being applied to the wrong man in this thread.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Two men;

One man has served the club for about 16 years, playing over 300 times, and one of only 3 Albion scorers at Wembley, then producing a whole generation of first team players through the youth system, turning down good coaching jobs at more glamorous clubs, then managing the club to a very creditable and wholly unexpected flirt with promotion in his first full season.

The other man was at the club for about 2 years, winning promotion from a piss poor fourth division in his second season, off the back of one brilliant signing, then left when the first decent job offer came along.

As far as I am concerned, the words 'Albion legend' are being applied to the wrong man in this thread.

I'd say they're BOTH legends - isn't there room for that? And I think that a constant denigrating of Adams' in my mind unquestionably fantastic achievements with us is just a bit detached from reality too, IMHO - and I'm one who used to slate Adams on here for touting his arse around for every job offer under the sun.

I also don't remember too many people agreeing with the away fans that used to call us a one player team at the time either. Because we obviously weren't.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'd say they're BOTH legends - isn't there room for that? And I think that a constant denigrating of Adams' in my mind unquestionably fantastic achievements with us is just a bit detached from reality too, IMHO - and I'm one who used to slate Adams on here for touting his arse around for every job offer under the sun.

I also don't remember too many people agreeing with the away fans that used to call us a one player team at the time either. Because we obviously weren't.

All fair enough, yes. I don't mean to run down what MA achieved really, and I've nothing at all against him.

Just a bit pissed off with some on here glorying in the return of the messiah and 'legend' as though DWs achievements and time served count for nothing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports