Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Micky Adams back as manager

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I was told by a very good source about 6 weeks ago that Dean Wilkins will not see the summer out and start next season as manager but as we were going great guns at the time just poo pood it as unlikely to happen but am shocked but pleased about this move.

Yep same as..Source was a guy who was in the year above me at school who still has links with the club.

What a weird day though.. Wilkins was my second favourite Brighton player and Adams is just a legend. I feel like my mate's been shot on the day i won the lottery...

PrestGull

Oct 18, 2003
Some very interesting views on this thread and amazed as ever what a range of reaction has been displayed!

To add a view

- Well done DK, a bold move and the right decision
- DW has done an ok job but he has displayed too many times that he has set up the team to play in the wrong shape and way.
- Already I have mates saying that they will buy season tickets so DK has appreciated the impact on the commerical ticket sales and that will happen. More bum on seats can only be good for club
- Appreciate what DW has done, they players he has brought to the club and brought through are of good calibre and I firmly believe Mickey will get them playing better together
- Great move to do this now, remember when we appointed Hinshelwood, we had a whole summer with no manager and hence nil actiivty in the transfer market, having Mickey there now gives him the summer to look at more transfer options!!!!!

Bring on next season, we can only get better with this change!!!!

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I'm completely flabbergasted (found out a minute ago). I love Mickey Adams and it's great to have him back at the club but somehow I can't help feeling that this is a step backwards, especially as Sir Mickey has not exactly set the managerial world alight since he left the club. Fingers crossed for a happy reunion all round.

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
dean was slowly losing the dressing room. after coments made by many now former players. including the legend oh gary hart i feel it was coming seemed that only players that were happy were the ones that werew playing. elthick and forster were. ried, rents, cox, robbo, ogh, etc etc etc

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
I don't know whther this is good or bad yet.

I thought Wilkins had had a good season, and was creating a squad capable of challenging for promotion next season.

However, I also think that Adams is probably a better manager overrall, having been in the game for longer and having achieved things with us before.

I hope Wilkins stays, as he has had great success in bringing youth players through.

UP THE ALBION!!!

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
This is what happens when I go offline for a day!!!! I just can't believe it! I am in total shock......

Can't say I know wetehr it's the right decision or not. From the outside it seemed Wilkins was on his way to being a great manager although comments of players this season may have suggested otherwise. Three years ago I would have jumped at the chance of Adams coming back but his reputation has been soemwhat tarnished since then...... I really really hope this was a risk worth taking.

DK... well it's been a big week this week and I'm sure he's involved with the whole Lewes (BHA 2nd team) thing..... just hope he doesn't make us into another Leeds where our expectations outdo our resources.

Anyway... makes this season as amazing as all the others in the past doesn't it! :)

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Only time will tell if this is the right move. However one thing you can say is that DK has finally grown some balls and is not afraid of doing something that may upset people.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Reading the first few pages reminds me of all the Newcastle fans and Keegans return. On here we called them a bunch of idiots for thinking he was the messiah and being speechless live on Sky Sports News as they queued up in supermarkets mass buying boxes of Kellogs Special K.

Now we are in the same situation, and people are saying he's the messiah we will win the League, the cup, European qualification etc.

I was completely shocked when my mate text me, I still am. I dont even know if its a good or bad thing. I thought Wilkins done a great job in his 1st full season. Obviously he was tactically naive in some games, but it was his 1st crack and could have done better in the season coming up as he had a chance to make his own proper mark on the squad - he's been treated very unfairly if you think about it

I am glad Wilkins has been kept on as a coach as he has been brilliant at that.

As for Adams, I wish him luck, maybe this appointment will bring back a few more bums on seats. It certainly will make for a great summer as he tries to buy Cullip and bring back Hart and Mayo.

Good Luck Mickey, I hope people dont rely too much on past glories, but I think the appointment could well be a good one

That sums it up for me. Although I didn't find out by text, I choked on my orange juice as I caught the headline on the back of the Argus, read by the man opposite me on the train. :D

Pretty shoddy treatment of Wilkins if you ask me and I only hope he can find some forgiveness and stay on as coach.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
Still haven't digested it properly to be able to formulate an opinion, however I have a theory that maybe the board re going to pump in a lot of cash for new players this summer and therefore want a manager who is going to know how to spend it.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Did anyone read the comments on Reid's departure on the Argus site. Someone claiming to be Dean Wilkins Mum stated

"when my dean is sacked tomorrow and micky adams returns u will all be pleased .."

Well 75% right, Adams is back but only half the fans are happy!!

Personally I thought Dean did a great job in the circumstances, but if we were going to get rid at least we have given Micky enough time to get 'his' players in. I'll wait for the first few signings I think.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Its not often something this big happens will no prior rumours on here, I heard this on Radio One sports news at 8 o'clock for the first time and I thought I was hearing things.

I can't decide if this is good or bad, seems to be quite a bit of knee jerk reaction on here as usual.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Out of the blue or wot?? Actually, it probs wasn't (if the truth be known) but I'm pleased the board finally took some action. Wendy came as close to getting us into the play offs as he ever would last season imo & did as well as he did. I'm actually optimistic about the coming season now. Welcome back Mickey: now do the biz please :thumbsup:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It's a REDICULOUS DECISION. How are young managers supposed to make it these days? Even when they do well, they're replaced. Complete and utter joke.

Thank you Dean Wilkins. I'm gutted that a club you love so much could do this to you.

What he said.

I will not come to any hard and fast conclusions about all this until a bit more of the truth comes out, but as things stand, my opinion of Dick knight, the saviour of Brighton and Hove Albion, for whom my support has NEVER waivered, has just gone down VERY significantly.

For the record -IF DW had to go, I'm as happy with MA as I would be with anyone. That isn't the point.

Last edited:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I'm working up in Glasgow and nearly fell off my hotel bed when the breaking news came on SSN.
Completely shocked by the decision is all I can say.

Having had a little time to think about it, it may be that like all things in football it's down to money.
Is there someone who wanted to invest (existing or new people) that wouldn't do so without a change of manager?
Or maybe it's a way to get the fans back into Withdean. There's no doubt that numbers were falling last year. The return of an albion legend should certainly help put bums on seats.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Going to assume that's a joke? That would make for a shocking summer - it's one thing bringing a manager back from 7 years ago, quite another to bring back ex-players as well. All those players, regardless of how affectionately we felt for them, were released or sold (in Cullip's case by more than one club) for a reason.

was a joke indeed, but then again I NEVER thought Adams would be back as manager - I need to set up a Keep The Faith sweepstakes

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I can't believe it - but good news I reckon. I've got nothing but love for Wilkins, but the prospect of Adams back in the fold next season? Genuine automatic contenders (with the right squad additions). This is a total knee jerk reaction to the news that I heard 5 minutes ago, mind.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Wow, what a bombshell, did'nt see this one coming, this is the quote from the club website;

Chairman Dick Knight said: "The board felt we need a manager with more experience to help the club make the great leap back into the Championship.

Knight broke the news to Wilkins last night.

"We very much want him to stay," the chairman said. "His strengths lie in coaching and the development of players.

"For obvious reasons Dean is in shock and we don't expect him to come up with an answer yet. He needs to think about it and we will do everything to persuade him to stay."

The quotes clearly see an intent from the board, its very harsh on Dean i.e need a manager with more experience and his strenghs lie in coaching.

I really hope Dean will stay but how many people accept someone coming in taking their job and then working under them. Was Wilkins set up to get rid of players without knowing this was a foot.

Look forward to this one progressing, Dean well done I hope you stay and help up move forward.

Micky welcome back, I'll always keep the faith.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here