Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Micky Adams back as manager

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Mr Adams returns after years of dominating the Championship,and Mr Wilkins is tasked with coaching,a post he won't take..............will he?

Ah well! Mr McGhee should be back in a few years.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I am completely gob-smacked.

There must have been things going on that have not been clear to the great unwashed.

But Micky Adams ? It rarely works going back. Maybe now he sees that he is not a future England manager he won;t be looking for the first opportunity to ship out. But I doubt it.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Was the decision in any way linked to getting the funding for Falmer?

There may be investors who want assurances that we'll have a Championship team by 2010 and the best way to impress them is to show real ambition by appointing a proven manager with a track record of having managed at a higher level.

Just a thought.

Personally I'm very sorry to see Dean moved aside, but sometimes in business you have to make these tough decisions for the sake of the business. I hope Dean stays as I believe he and Adams could make a great team.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I'm quite happy really. I think with DW we showed periods of really good football. But tbh, most of the time we were pretty dire, with 10 players being given the boot I can't imagine that Dean would attract more players than Micky. I think it's a good thing but not too sure about the old "Messiah is back" comments... two words for all of you people

"KING KEV"

.. need I say more

Keep the faith ;)

One thing's for sure-between MA and Larry Boyd they'll have a good understanding of who is available and who should be good for The Albion. Adams has been scouting for Stoke and Lloyd has been very busy (and has been doing a decent job from what I can see).

I hope the fans' expectations don't beome a millstone around MA's neck.

Let's all hope Dean Wilkins stays. He can learn from Adams (hopefully) and then take over the reins again in a couple of years when Adams is made Football Director. Who knows-maybe DW could still lead us out for the first game at Falmer?

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
Will this mean my ASBO will be reinforced. I can't believe that DK has appointed the poisoned dwarf. I thought it was all about results, live and die by them etc? Wendy was meant to be the better option than someone who nearly kept us in the championship on a showe string and who is good enough to win the real scottish premier. I wasn't a great fan of Wilkins from the point of view that he seemed to not tackle the likes of girly Cox and didn't know how to use subs to change a game etc but i thouight that the football was the best we've played for ages. I don't want to return to the1 nil world of Adams. Will 1 going 1 up and then get everyone behind the ball really get bums back on seats? The emporor will not have his new clothes this time so who will he bring in, ex colchester, Liecester players? The bloke turned his back on us when he had the challenge of keeping us in the Championship ahead. Going on the Falmer marches doesn't change that. Surely the bar has been set at 7th place. At least DK is looking to get us promoted next year. I hope he has his excuses for MA ready.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
It's fascinating to se the diverse opinions on here. Some think it's a great move others think it's terrible.

Some think we should wait and ses before any knee-jerk reaction. That, in my opion is the right thing to do.

DK and the board don't make decisions like this for fun. If DW takes the coaching job then the club's wage bill will have a significant increase. Until and unless we hear more dretails about the reasons for this, we must assume that there were elements of the manager's job that didn't sit comfortably with Dean.

That wouldn't be a criticism, it can happen when someone takes on a role they have never had before. The board must have come to the conclusion that MA can provide the elements that DW doesn't have and that this, in their view, was essential to our future success.

I say again, decisons such as this are not made for fun. If Dean stays at the club we might not hear all the reasons and rightly so - it is a matter between him and his employers.

I really hope he does stay because MA obviously has a high opinion of him as a coach and the combination could be just what we need.

What Goldstone said.

The long and the short of it is that with possibly one or two exceptions nobody on this board has any precise knowledge of what is or has been going on at the club over the last few months and why Dick has made this decision. We will all have our theories but that's all they will be, just theories.

Personally I very much hope Dean decides to stay even though his first thought could be to tell DK to stick his job. He clearly is an excellent coach, especially with younger players, and has done pretty well this year as manager. But it may well be that Adams being back will attract more investors. And even though I have a slight reservation I'm very glad he's back. If he and DW can work together it could be a dream team.

And for me, if DK has made this decision then I trust him. The decision may turn out to be wrong but I'm certain it has been made with the best interests of the club at heart. I can't believe the stick and abuse that he gets from some people on here who almost certainly don't know the full story.

The man is a fan first and Chairman second. And no, not every decision he makes turns out to be correct and no, he doesn't have megabucks. But we are lucky to have him.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Was the decision in any way linked to getting the funding for Falmer?

There may be investors who want assurances that we'll have a Championship team by 2010 and the best way to impress them is to show real ambition by appointing a proven manager with a track record of having managed at a higher level.

Just a thought.

Personally I'm very sorry to see Dean moved aside, but sometimes in business you have to make these tough decisions for the sake of the business. I hope Dean stays as I believe he and Adams could make a great team.

Surely no football club could, or would, ever give such an assurance? That would be madness.

I think it's a good thing but not too sure about the old "Messiah is back" comments... two words for all of you people

"KING KEV"

.. need I say more

As others have said:

Tony Pulis

Walter Smith.

It doesn't always end in disaster...

Let's remember that Adams genuinely likes this club-always supportive when there was a Falmer thing happening and didn't he once say that he wished he hadn't left us?

Time will tell-let's just get behind EVERYBODY at the club because we sure as hell need to be on an upward curve when Falmer opens.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
And for me, if DK has made this decision then I trust him. The decision may turn out to be wrong but I'm certain it has been made with the best interests of the club at heart. I can't believe the stick and abuse that he gets from some people on here who almost certainly don't know the full story.

The man is a fan first and Chairman second. And no, not every decision he makes turns out to be correct and no, he doesn't have megabucks. But we are lucky to have him.

What he said.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
As others have said:

Tony Pulis

Walter Smith.

It doesn't always end in disaster...

Let's remember that Adams genuinely likes this club-always supportive when there was a Falmer thing happening and didn't he once say that he wished he hadn't left us?

Time will tell-let's just get behind EVERYBODY at the club because we sure as hell need to be on an upward curve when Falmer opens.

Completely agree.... what he said.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
After initially thinking Wilkins was the wrong appt i grew to like him he had his problems but he still got us up to 7th this season which was some achievement after the mid season debacle caused by mr Knight...:angry:...really can't understand the reasoning behing Micky coming back unless as others have said there are investors in the wings who have flexed some muscle.........why let Dean decide on the retain/release list when 3-4 days later he is relieved of his duties.....Absolute madness......unless Micky had some say in it of course ????? s

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Still slightly dazed as I didn't get the heads up on this until I turned on NSC this morning - needless to say not much work emanating from my desk right now!

On reflection I think the board have made a good commercial decision and fair play to them. It takes balls to make tough decisions knowing that they could go wrong no matter how much you think and hope that they will work out.

Reading between the lines I suspect Adams and Lloyd have both had an input to the retained list and Dean was simply given a pice of paper and told what to say to who.

The business of Dean's absences over the last 3 weeks is intriguing - maybe we will hear more in time but I suspect it was right that he got too embroiled in some player contract issues (Hammond / O'Callaghan) and didn't exactly toe the party line laid down by his employers - inexperience...lack of man management skills.. round peg/square hole ? Probably all of that in parts.

Only time will tell if Adams can cut it still but it's a bold move and a sensible one - it will keep interest running and build ticket sales and we desperately need that, first to pay the bills, and second to attract investors.

A sad time for DW but overall the prospect of a brighter future for the club and its supporters

John L

Feb 22, 2008
WILKINS OUT ADAMS IN - The Argus

Andy Naylor speaks exclusively to Micky Adams and there are four pages of in-depth coverage.

For the full in-depth story pick up your copy of The Argus today and the Sports Argus over the weekend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here