Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Michelle Walder, new Albion director

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I have to 100% agree with this sadly. What the hell does women's football actually produce?

Just think of it in marketing terms. Club spends a lot of money advertising the club, local press, videos, buses etc. attracting fans and new supporters, getting people into the club. Take the cost of running a women's team and put that in the context of attracting female fans of all ages, and it probably represents very good value. Doesn't matter if these fans don't watch or follow the women's team, but seeing them in the programme and hearing about them widens the appeal of the football club that it isn't an all out male orientated club. So if it produces plenty more female fans for the club as a whole, what is not to like? :shrug:

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
I can't believe that the appointment of a female board member with responsibilities in HR and the support of women's football in the club has provoked such criticism of the person, her role and women's football in general.

Having a female chair the body that looks at remuneration through the club, consider the HR minefield that modern organisations face and develop women's football at the club is not some kind of PC tick in the box - it's progression. If there is one thing that BHAFC should be doing is not just banging the drum for inclusiveness and diversity but living by it's words.

Michelle Walder clearly has the confidence of the board to be able to perform the role she is being asked to fill. It's up to the board to determine if her actions are up to the job or not in the long term but it's not fair to dismiss her at the start on the basis her company website is full of management speak.

If you don't like women's football then so what? The fact is that there are people who want to play it and watch it. Our club should be promoting it and not just as a nod to some idea of political correctness. Progression and progressiveness is not about jumping onto a bandwagon miles down the line, it's about picking up the baton early and doing things that don't have an immediate payback but give you a better foundation for moving forward.

I don't recall seeing a single post before the news suggesting that this appointment was needed. Why? Because we don't run the club. We trust Tony and the others to do that. This proves somebody is thinking about these things and making things happen that are for the good of the club as a whole. I am sure there are other people working to make sure the men's first team is properly supported as well and CH gets what he needs to push forward in August.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Just think of it in marketing terms. Club spends a lot of money advertising the club, local press, videos, buses etc. attracting fans and new supporters, getting people into the club. Take the cost of running a women's team and put that in the context of attracting female fans of all ages, and it probably represents very good value. Doesn't matter if these fans don't watch or follow the women's team, but seeing them in the programme and hearing about them widens the appeal of the football club that it isn't an all out male orientated club. So if it produces plenty more female fans for the club as a whole, what is not to like? :shrug:

That's a pretty good argument.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Please can somebody explain what difference any director of the club make to us supporters and are only chosen by TB to help him do his job better. He is the important one.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Blimey. All this from my OP wondering what all the management consultancy bullcrap in the original announcement actually meant. For the record, I enjoyed watching the women's World Cup and I'm all for the Albion women's team. The gender of directors is unimportant.

Can I have a moan about the uncritical acceptance of the term "HR"?

I am human and, for all of my working life, I have been an employee. But I have NEVER seen myself as a "resource" to be controlled by my employer. The phrase "human resources" demeans workers and is a dehumanising, nasty little concept. It should be dumped in the trash can and left there.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

I am human and, for all of my working life, I have been an employee. But I have NEVER seen myself as a "resource" to be controlled by my employer. The phrase "human resources" demeans workers and is a dehumanising, nasty little concept. It should be dumped in the trash can and left there.

Used to be 'Personnel' once upon a time didn't it?

My company still calls the department "Personnel"

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

It means you are just a number. 5.5 units needed at a certain office. That was exactly how we were described two years ago.

We used to call it Human Remains.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Have a look at their website. Its vomit inducing. Buzz-word bingo points awarded for finding the following words: leveraging, seemless, network.

Any mention of the elephant in the room? It appears to have disappeared from my company,I thought it may have walked off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here