Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Micheal Clarke

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
That does not look like an intimidating side.

Cummins should be the best of your bowlers, but he is never fit.

The batting looks likely to collapses and the fact that Vogues or S Marsh get in there, suggests that the Sheffield Shield is producing even less batsman than our County Championship.

Bancroft and Lynn have played well in India on the A series, but neither have genuinely set the world alight in Shield.

Looking at last years Shield stats, the top performing batsmen were all either a) retired from international cricket, b) already playing for Australia, or c) overseas players. With Rogers and Clarke retiring, S. Marsh doing his best to prove he's unable to handle test cricket, and Voges not stamping his authority on his place, Aus are going to need new players to step up. But other than Lynn and Bancroft, there's no one in the Shield sticking their hand up. Khawaja has been tried and failed (but I wouldn't be surprised if he returns as the new opener, assuming the selectors realise what everyone else has known about S Marsh forever).

Shield is littered with high-30's averages amongst the younger generation who are meant to be the backbone of the future Aussie batting line up.

Re: Cummins - apparently his action has been 'fixed' and he shouldn't be so injury prone now. We'll see. I also know that he, and a couple of others, were the victims of some poor footwear choices - bowling boots were found to be at fault for a spate of foot injuries for up-and-coming Aussie pacers.

Edit: Also, being fair to Voges. The guys is the classic case of being picked too late. All the time that Australia spent mucking around with Khawaja, Doolan, S. Marsh, and others besides - Voges was the stand out Shield player. Him and D. Hussey both got left out in the cold during their best years, while the selectors went looking for the next young gun (or picked never-was' like Cowan instead of grabbing Rogers immediately).

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
1. Warner
2. Bancroft (played well against Ind A, gets the reward)
3. Smith
4. Lynn (playing well for Aus A currently, gets the reward)
5. Voges or S. Marsh (no one else proving themselves currently, Voges gets my nod as Marsh has failed every time he's got the nod for a test spot)
6. M. Marsh or Faulkner
7. Nevill
8. Starc
9. Hazlewood or Siddle
10. Cummins
11. Lyon

It certainly will be interesting how Australia fair in the coming years. I've been saying since Lehmann took over that really he was just delaying the ineivtable when he brought the old heads back into the side. Micky Arthur wasn't popular, and I think we would have beaten the Aussies 10-0 if he'd remained in charge, BUT he was trying to deal with the problem are now facing.

In regards to your line up, I've heard Bancroft and Lynn getting mentioned but personally I know nothing about them so can't really comment. They definitely need a new opener with Rogers retiring. At 35 I think Voges is probably not worth sticking with, especially as he hasn't had the best series. I'd get Mitchell Marsh in, and Shaun Marsh. I also think Khawaja will probably get another shot. Although Khawaja hasn't set the world alight in the past, he has played before and might be worth seeing if he's matured.

I think Siddle should have played over here, but the fact he didn't makes me think he's done now. I think the Aussies will be looking to bring through that next generation even if it means a couple of years off the boil. Cummins has always been hailed as potential test bowler, but his back has stunted that progression. The truth is if your back is troubling as a young player you will always struggle to step up to the riggers of test cricket. I think Cummins might play the odd test, but will remain an ODI and T20 bowler.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Edit: Also, being fair to Voges. The guys is the classic case of being picked too late. All the time that Australia spent mucking around with Khawaja, Doolan, S. Marsh, and others besides - Voges was the stand out Shield player. Him and D. Hussey both got left out in the cold during their best years, while the selectors went looking for the next young gun (or picked never-was' like Cowan instead of grabbing Rogers immediately).

You're absolutely right, Mike Hussey is probably an even better example of someone being left out for too long. He made is test debut at 30!

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
It certainly will be interesting how Australia fair in the coming years. I've been saying since Lehmann took over that really he was just delaying the ineivtable when he brought the old heads back into the side. Micky Arthur wasn't popular, and I think we would have beaten the Aussies 10-0 if he'd remained in charge, BUT he was trying to deal with the problem are now facing.

To be honest, I think the post-McGrath/Warne/Ponting era has been a long-running tale of the Aussie selectors trying to pick the side right now that would create the next 10-year dominant Aussie side, when they should have been picking a 5-year side and transitioning in the 10-year players as they proved themselves.

Guys like Hughes (may he rest peacefully) and Khawaja were brought in too early (and, in many respects, so were Clarke and Smith) hoping they'd pay off immediately, while guys like the Hussey brothers, Voges, Rogers cooled their heels in Shield cricket. Instead of paying off immediately, the youngsters got their confidence dented. Clarke and Smith both re-emerged, and I think Hughes was about to, but unfortunately I don't see anything in Khawaja.

We've basically lost a generation, and in doing so also probably lost the next generation as well. Smith (assuming he can conquer the swinging ball and find some consistency with his technique) could become the Border-like figure of the next 10 years of Australian cricket. The stand-out performer in a team that struggles to bat itself into test winning positions, while waiting for the next Steve Waugh to emerge. The big difference this time is that we've got a bowling line up that can do a job for us and make sure we do win those tests where Warner + Smith + a.n.other get us a good total on the board.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
If the Goff has got his English passport now, can we ask Clarke if he fancies a few games of county cricket before he goes back home?
:lolol:
That would really rub salt into his wounds and ego! Fighting relegation with our lot.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Oh how things change: I remember when Stuart Law- who always looked a fabulous batsman - couldn't get within a country mile (I think he had 1 test match?) of the Aussie team but could have walked into the England side.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Latest noise (via Ian Healy) is that it looks like Joe Burns could be the man who gets Rogers' opening spot.

I suspect the Aussie selectors will stick with both Voges and Shaun Marsh for at least one more series, so that likely gets us a top 6 that looks like:

Warner
Burns
Smith
Voges
S. Marsh
M. Marsh

Personally, I'd rather see them blood at least one more youngster. That means ditching S. Marsh, and picking both Lynn and Bancroft (as the stand out Aus A players in India) and letting them fight it out for that #5 spot. The bonus there is that Bancroft also competes for a place with both Burns (opened for Aus A) and Nevill (cricinfo has him listed as a wicketkeeper).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here