Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Micheal Clarke

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Same here. Really enjoyed listening to him on Sky (even more so when England have been on top). I think he's been a pretty astute summariser, fair, and has shown a decent sense of humour in the face of plenty of ribbing (like when Gary Pratt turned up, or Gower was having a dig about run outs).

One thing I was trying to recall: he was quite vociferous in his criticism of Clarke at times, and full of advice for him. Did Ponting win an Ashes series over here? I know he lost two, but can't remember if he was in charge (or Steve Waugh?) during their last victory in England?

Nope. I think he's gone on record before as being bitterly disappointed that part of his legacy will be the first Aussie captain in 30 years not to win a test series in England. Come to think of it, I think he must have one of the worst Ashes records as captain for either side?!?!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Clarke looks like he's reached the end of the road, and Australia look like a team in transition without any leadership.

Losing Harris, Watson and Haddin was too much experience gone too quickly. The Aussie selectors must look at Joe Root with envy, a man who has carried his sides batting at times and a decent slip and part-time spinner to boot. They would kill to have someone like that in their line-up now.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
They have the number 1 rated batsman in the world Steve smith who started his test career as a leg spin bowler who could bat a bit.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
They have the number 1 rated batsman in the world Steve smith who started his test career as a leg spin bowler who could bat a bit.

In this series Root's taken 8 catches, 4 wickets and bowled 25 overs. Smith's has taken 1 catch, 0 wickets, bowled 2 overs. Maybe Smith should have been used more as a bowler? The contribution from the fourth seamer in this series has been woeful.

Before this series Smith had bowled more than Root and taken more wickets. It's strange that Clarke hasn't used him or, for that matter, himself.

One area in which England are clearly superior is versatility. The likes of Stokes, Ali, Buttler and Broad seem to make a contribution, so if they fail with the bat they do something with the ball or in the field.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I feel for him as a captain you have to lead by example and he clearly forgot to pack his form.

I fear for him when he gets home the media will have toasted him.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I feel for him as a captain you have to lead by example and he clearly forgot to pack his form.

I fear for him when he gets home the media will have toasted him.

But to return to the Anderson incident he's made a rod for his own back, and his career is littered with off field problems, wasn't there something about Simon Katich having him by the throat in the dressing room?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
All over he is retiring from test cricket after this series and quite rightly given an immense kicking from the Aussie media

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
whats he supposed to have done ?

Allegedly there was some big hoohah when Hussey retired. Essentially retiring players are asked how they'd like to celebrate after their last game, and Hussey said he wanted to stay at the ground with his team mates and have a party/send off in the changing rooms. Clarke's friend had some yaht and offered them a party there instead. But Hussey still preferred the original plan and a lot of the players wanted to stay with Hussey. So Clarke made the party on the yaht an official Cricket Australia function which players are contractually obliged to attend. Hussey and a couple of the others (I think Lyon was one of them) refused to go and stayed behind. Clarke was reportedly furious and it resulted in Warner and Clarke leaving abusive message on Hussey's phone. Nice way to send off one the most respected players for Australia in recent years.

Last edited:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Allegedly there was some big hoohah when Hussey retired. Essentially retiring players are asked how they'd like to celebrate after their last game, and Hussey said he wanted to stay at the ground with his team mates and have a party/send off in the changing rooms. Clarke's friend had some yaht and offered them a party there instead. But Hussey still preferred the original plan and a lot of the players wanted to stay with Hussey. So Clarke made the party on the yaht an official Cricket Australia function which players are contractually obliged to attend. Hussey and a couple of the others (I think Lyon was one of them) refused to go and stayed behind. Clarke was reportedly furious and it resulted in Warner and Clarke leaving abusive message on Hussey's phone. Nice way to send off one the most respected players for Australia in recent years.

Or not seemingly... http://m.thenewdaily.com.au/sport/2015/02/26/retirement-party-split-australias-cricket-team/

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I didn't have a lot of time for Clarke, until his dignified response to the Phil Hughes tragedy. I thought his leadership of more or less the wnole of Aussie cricket was exemplary, a real example of how tragic circumstances like these should be handled

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
It is interesting that both England and Australia do not have a number of young batsmen knocking on the door of the test team.

Australia seem to have a few in the A side that have been discarded from the test team.

What both do seem to have is a few bowling options. In these days of T20 etc, you would think it would be batsmen coming through not bowlers.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What both do seem to have is a few bowling options. In these days of T20 etc, you would think it would be batsmen coming through not bowlers.

What both seem to have are seam bowling options - both countries appear to be short of spinners knocking at the door

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
What both seem to have are seam bowling options - both countries appear to be short of spinners knocking at the door

Australia did have Fahad (?), but actually he is not that young and has not played yet.

This tour to the UAE is going to show up these spinning options. I saw Selvey suggesting that if Monty bowls well for the rest of the season, taking him could really show how good the man management skills of Bayliss and Fairbrace are. Not sure they would chance that one though.

In reality they will take Moen and Rashid, if they want a back up to play it will probably be Tredwell, if for the ride then maybe Ansari?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
It is interesting that both England and Australia do not have a number of young batsmen knocking on the door of the test team.

Australia seem to have a few in the A side that have been discarded from the test team.

I think T20 is the reason there are very few competent test batsmen around atm. It is geared to fast scoring, bish bash bosh cricket, and not the patient building of innings over the course of hours. Having said that, it is quite exciting, and the IPL riches means its here to stay

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
That's interesting, I'd not heard that side of events. I remember reading about it at the time and there being a lot of people saying Clarke and Warner had overstepped the mark by leaving abusive messages on Hussey's answer phone. I'm sure like a lot of things we'll never hear all the ins and outs of it.

There's been a lot of "whispering in the background" that's followed Clarke throughout his career. Some of it deserved, some of it well and truly undeserved. All of it, generally, orchestrated by people who simply didn't like his style, who felt he wasn't the right "down to earth, gritty, hard working" captain that Australia needed. Instead, these people believed he'd been given everything on a silver platter and lived his life that way.

The reality was, and still is, quite different. Clarke likes the high life, sure, but he did, and still does, work darn hard. He's made some odd decisions during his time as an Aussie cricketer, but I've always felt he made those decisions believing them to be the right decision and with just a touch of naivety that everyone would understand his reasons why.

Anyway, now he's announced his retirement it'll be interesting to see who gets picked for the next tour. This really is the start of a new era for Australian cricket. Rogers, Clarke, Watson, Harris, and Haddin have all either been confirmed (through retirement) to not play another test, or highly unlikely (having been dropped) to ever be picked to play another test again. That's half the team, and all of them very senior.

It's almost a certainty that Smith will be announced captain, and he'll be tasked with leading a team under significant restructure. If I was picking a Smith-led team for the final test, with all the retirees not available, and wasn't restricted to the current touring team, I'd be looking at (existing players bold, new players italic):

1. Warner
2. Bancroft (played well against Ind A, gets the reward)
3. Smith
4. Lynn (playing well for Aus A currently, gets the reward)
5. Voges or S. Marsh (no one else proving themselves currently, Voges gets my nod as Marsh has failed every time he's got the nod for a test spot)
6. M. Marsh or Faulkner
7. Nevill
8. Starc
9. Hazlewood or Siddle
10. Cummins
11. Lyon

Yes, I have just dropped Johnson. You have to pick the right players for the conditions, and for me Johnson isn't the right player for English conditions. When they get back home, he's first choice.

Problem Australia have got for the next few years is selecting the top six. There's only two guys post-Ashes who are automatic picks: Warner and Smith. I think M. Marsh will retain the all-rounder spot for a while, so that's 1, 3, and 6 filled. I reckon the Aussie selectors will go for S Marsh as 2, and I think that will be a big mistake. Marsh just isn't a test quality bat. 4 and 5 ... Voges needs a score in the final test to claim his spot, but he's past his prime now and we'll only get a couple years out of him at best. Question is, do you go for youth and commit hard and hope that you pick the right ones and hit the jackpot for a long term future for the team, or do you go for seasoned campaigners and essentially tread water for a couple of years hoping young replacements emerge to stake a claim?

The team above I've gone for a bit of both. Bancroft and Lynn as the commit hard (they get picked, and they stay in the team regardless of results unless it becomes blatantly clear they'll never make it as a test player), and Voges as the treading water. Going full committed would have Nic Maddinson (or someone of similar calibre) in Voges' place, and accepting that you're going to lose tests and series for a couple of years while the batting line up matures.

Last edited:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
It's almost a certainty that Smith will be announced captain, and he'll be tasked with leading a team under significant restructure. If I was picking a Smith-led team for the final test, with all the retirees not available, and wasn't restricted to the current touring team, I'd be looking at (existing players bold, new players italic):

1. Warner
2. Bancroft (played well against Ind A, gets the reward)
3. Smith
4. Lynn (playing well for Aus A currently, gets the reward)
5. Voges or S. Marsh (no one else proving themselves currently, Voges gets my nod as Marsh has failed every time he's got the nod for a test spot)
6. M. Marsh or Faulkner
7. Nevill
8. Starc
9. Hazlewood or Siddle
10. Cummins
11. Lyon

Yes, I have just dropped Johnson. You have to pick the right players for the conditions, and for me Johnson isn't the right player for English conditions. When they get back home, he's first choice.

That does not look like an intimidating side.

Cummins should be the best of your bowlers, but he is never fit.

The batting looks likely to collapses and the fact that Vogues or S Marsh get in there, suggests that the Sheffield Shield is producing even less batsman than our County Championship.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If the Goff has got his English passport now, can we ask Clarke if he fancies a few games of county cricket before he goes back home?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here