Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Michał Karbownik

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Let's see if he gets on the pitch Saturday.

Burnley away was never going to be a good fit for him.

But Watford at home, a team more about pace. I could see it.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Veltman return and be replaced towards the end of the game. Karbo would be one of the options.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The advantages is that the coaches could develop him in top level facilities working with him on a daily basis.

That said, there are obvious advantages with loaning him to a Championship team as well - if he can get into a starting lineup, that is. Just ask Jayson Molumby or numerous other players - the Championship is good and you cant take for granted that anyone you loan out will get game time. And in that case its preferable to keep him.

We'll see what happens, could go either way.

I think you get far more development by loaning a player out to play senior league football every week than you do with playing in the U23s. Look at Ben White and the success of his progressive loans through the divisions! For comparison, White was still playing in the 4th division at Newport at a similar age, so it doesn't necessarily need to be a Championship club.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I think we paid around 1m for Karbownik, which sadly is nothing today for a premier league player. He has looked quite decent at U23 level, if not outstanding, but I also think he has been awful pre-season, particularly his ball retention. If you look at the level we are playing at now and the level we aspire to, players and fans are going to have to get use to high expectations. Molumby hasn't become a bad player overnight, but he is stuck in a rut now, as he was probably too cautious in his approach to pre-season games last year and wasn't able to demonstrate his talent. It doesn't make either of them bad players or bad business for the club, it just means they MAY need to look elsewhere to progress on loan or permanently.
Yup. Not everyone will make it. We are taking a lot of punts. Karbow is still young and could develop with the right pathway, but we shouldn’t expect every 20 year old to make an impact.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I think you get far more development by loaning a player out to play senior league football every week than you do with playing in the U23s. Look at Ben White and the success of his progressive loans through the divisions! For comparison, White was still playing in the 4th division at Newport at a similar age, so it doesn't necessarily need to be a Championship club.
Totally depends. Molumby has gone backwards.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sure, he was on loan (playing as a central midfielder) and perhaps he should have stayed there but at the same time... the quality of the Ekstraklasa is so poor. What would improve your tennis game the most, a game against Stephen Hawking or a practice with Roger Federer?

No, I dont think its odd at all. We've been over this but I really dont give a shit about the Poland national team. They've used 50+ players over the last 2 years and with 15-20 exceptions most of them wouldnt get anywhere near playing in the Premier League.

A ridiculously hyperbolic analogy. Also you haven't seen me play tennis. Hawking would beat me and he's been dead a while.

Very clearly, if you are a young, talented sportsperson then you need games and lots of them. Training is just not the same. Either we signed him because we thought he was good enough to play those games against the best in the world, or we've dropped a ricket and we need to get him games against whatever the football equivalent is of halfway between the best in the world and a dead physics professor :shrug:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

I think its very individual. Compare with Alex Cochrane for instance. Lots and lots and lots of years of getting schooled at the Brighton academy, learning all the tactical and technical stuff and probably knowing the club and its ideas inside out, but with very limited first team experience. Then look at Karbownik, **** do I know what they learn in the Legia academy but its probably a lot different than the Brighton one, but he got some experience from first time football. What does he need - to stick around and learn how Brighton play, what technical abilities he needs and so on, or do you give him a one-room apartment in the outskirts of Grimsby and tell him "good luck, see you next year". Its not obvious that experience would teach him much about playing for Brighton.

At some point, a loan to Championship or even League One could most likely be valuable. But is that now or in six months or in a year? No way of telling from the outside.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
I thought he didn`t come because we couldn`t agree the deal with Chelsea.

Correct.

Chelsea were insisting a a buy back clause which we wouldn't agree to.

They have probably learnt their lesson from Lamptey

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
But he WAS on loan. Loaned back to Legia as part of the deal to sign him and then recalled.

I can understand that as a young player he can flit between the U23s and first team squad which we might find useful, but in reality we really should only have recalled Moder. Then we could have had a look at Karbo in pre-season and immediately loaned him on to a better quality league if he really is that far behind.

The bloke has played a full international and got an assist in a 5-1 Polish win. Meanwhile, we're playing Gross as a left back. You have to admit that's slightly odd.

We recalled Karbownik due to the injury to Lamptey. I would suggest he wasn't quite ready which is why he didn't get game time, however after a pre season he could be a lot closer to being ready. Moder has been managed superbly and really contributed to the first team since his loan was cancelled. I have high hopes

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Correct.

Chelsea were insisting a a buy back clause which we wouldn't agree to.

They have probably learnt their lesson from Lamptey

Yes. I believe they have a buy back with Abraham too. I’d also suggest that the sales of Salah, De Bruyne & Lukaku have driven the need for buy-back clauses in future Chelsea player sales.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Yes. I believe they have a buy back with Abraham too. I’d also suggest that the sales of Salah, De Bruyne & Lukaku have driven the need for buy-back clauses in future Chelsea player sales.

Which means other big clubs will be doing it, which means other clubs down the food chain like us, will have to think about whether it's worth getting involved in that kind of thing

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I’m always impressed that fans can have such firm impressions about a player’s ability to perform based on a very few minutes action.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
In all his 20 young years he's only played one season as a full back - bit much to stick him in there in a Premier league game already.

Disagree if you are good enough at 20 you are old enough. Understand he did ok for Poland and I thought he played very well against Leicester. Certainly in my opinion better than what I have seen of Burn,Alzate Gross playing at FB

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I’m always impressed that fans can have such firm impressions about a player’s ability to perform based on a very few minutes action.

Agreed, but he did look very shaky in the game versus Luton. We and the club just need to be patient with him as I'm sure he's a good player but will need time to adapt. Moder on the other hand has settled in very quickly, and well. Moder is a year or two older though I think.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Disagree if you are good enough at 20 you are old enough. Understand he did ok for Poland and I thought he played very well against Leicester. Certainly in my opinion better than what I have seen of Burn,Alzate Gross playing at FB

Young players won't progress at the same rate. Some will be ready then, some won't.

Solly would have been miles off a PL regular at 20. It clicked for him at 25

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

I think that the essence of Potterball is don't give the ball away cheaply and I suspect that this is instilled through training drill repetition focussed on a starting 11. Tactics do flex based on player availability and form, but I don't think anyone will be given the luxury of time to adjust unless they offer something exceptional or circumstances dictate they are called up.

I don't think Karbownik is a bad player or that he can not develop, I just don't think he will be given much opportunity with us in the short term, based as you say on not a lot of minutes watching him play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here