Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Michael Vaughan

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
What a relief, good to see common sense prevail at last.
Completely, I like Vaughan and this seemed an awful lot like a PC witch hunt or an ex colleague with an agenda playing the race card, Theres simply no proof that Vaughan said we he said and even if he did (and didnt remember it), racism is all about deliberate intent to discriminate.

If Vaughan had Said "there's too many of you lot, we need to do something about that" in pure jest with a smile, he would never be accused of being racist if he said it in banter with Aussies, or even mixed race teams like S.Africa, it would be taken like banter as if we'd said it to Palace fans at the REMF game.

Of course if he said it with angry intent and was trying to deliberately demean because of skin colour or culural differences that would be different, but I'm glad for Vaughan that common sense prevailed and his career and reputation hasnt been torched by the OTT actions of the ECB and Rafiq.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm glad that Vaughan can move on and look to resume his role as a frontline cricket pundit. I enjoy listening to him and hope he is reinstated promptly.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
A summer or two ago i was at some local Cricket and it was a sort of thank you NHS day where the player's were asked to wear the inclusive rainbow NHS shirt, sadly the only player's who did not wear the NHS shirt well need i say more.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
He's a really good pundit, but for me his comment about needing to learn a new language when he went to London was pretty sick.
I think it was more a failed attempt at humour than a malicious intent to offend. Anyway, glad to have him back as I think he’s an excellent pundit and there was no evidence he did anything actually wrong. Felt like a witch hunt from the get go.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
He's a really good pundit, but for me his comment about needing to learn a new language when he went to London was pretty sick.
I think it depends on how it was meant. I'd say that almost certainly it was said in jest. It's true that more and more foreign tongues are spoken in London now.

I for one enjoy hearing them and the totally cosmopolitann city that our capital now is.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Quite interesting that this seems to have reached a similar conclusion to the Jay Rodriguez issue a couple of years ago, but whereas he was universally slaughtered on here there seem to be quite a number coming out in support of Vaughan.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
common sense over a bit of banter. Nice to see world not gone completely mad in having to be seen to the right thing.

Move on

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Quite interesting that this seems to have reached a similar conclusion to the Jay Rodriguez issue a couple of years ago, but whereas he was universally slaughtered on here there seem to be quite a number coming out in support of Vaughan.
I think the difference - and it is a significant one - is that Bong reacted immediately and went straight to the referee.. He didn't wait several years to make his complaint after he'd stopped playing.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I’d suggest football is tribal, the fact it was alleged to have happened against “one of our own” led the reaction. FWIW I’m very much a trust the process person. I have no connection to Vaughan for example, except liking him as a pundit, but if it hasn’t been proven after a thorough investigation then that’s that as far as I’m concerned - on all counts.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Something never rang true about this.

The accusation was that Vaughan made this comment in a team huddle moments before a T20 match.

I simply can't think of a a scenario where one of England's best ever captains would divide his own team moments before playing a match.

Ajmal Shahazad says Vaughan didn't say it and was quite scathing about Rafiq, so it's very much disputed.

Nobody should be debating whether it was said in jest. It was either said or it wasn't, there isn't an in-between option.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I think it was more a failed attempt at humour than a malicious intent to offend. Anyway, glad to have him back as I think he’s an excellent pundit and there was no evidence he did anything actually wrong. Felt like a witch hunt from the get go.
I think "witch hunt" is stretching it a bit. He's clearly got some form, just look at his Twitter

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here