Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Messi

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Falcao scored 5 tonight, that'll put his price up a bit.

I read tonight that in 2009 while managing Aston Villa, Martin O'Neill turned down the chance to sign Falcao in favour of a move for Emile Heskey.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ridiculous to even compare them. Messi is universes ahead.

Out of interest how did you come to this idea? I must admit I'm not an expert on Muller but he was a very different type of player. I do not think you can compare them; all you can do is compare stats and medals and accept and enjoy both of their outragous talent.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
13 wins and 1 draw from 14 games is just utterly vile and filthy.

Mono tenis liga

If Mueller and Messi were contemporaries, I reckon Messi would have smashed any records up for grabs

How many had Messi scored after 60 Games? Surely the only way to compare them is like for like. If Mueller scored his record in fewer games, Messi should be compared on the same number of games.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Mono tenis liga

How many had Messi scored after 60 Games? Surely the only way to compare them is like for like. If Mueller scored his record in fewer games, Messi should be compared on the same number of games.

10 goals in his last 7, so 76 in first 60 games of 2012.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
10 goals in his last 7, so 76 in first 60 games of 2012.

Incredible statistics whatever the era, and whatever the comparison.

My memory of Gerd Muller is that he was an unbelievably good goal-scorer who didn't do much else. Absolutely clinical, but not one to get involved in build up play.

Messi, meanwhile, is the heartbeat of Barcelona, creating as many as he scores. So a better player, though not necessarily a better goal-scorer.

bernardo

Nov 2, 2012
I think he has already broken the record by one goal?. And this year he also broke football's history record of most goals in one season with a total of over 70. I think a scottish player held the record from 1929.

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed

I was more thinking if Messi played against 1972 defences, and Mueller played against 2012 defences, Messi would come out on top numerically

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think you're all missing someone here fellas. Messi is nothing when compared to Brighton's very own Paul Molden: Born in Farnworth, near Bolton, Lancashire, as a youth Moulden entered the Guinness Book of Records by scoring 340 goals in a single season for Bolton Lads Club under-15s (wikipedia)

Only another 254 to go Lionel.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was more thinking if Messi played against 1972 defences, and Mueller played against 2012 defences, Messi would come out on top numerically

..and why has Muller become Mueller. Am I missing something?

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
..and why has Muller become Mueller. Am I missing something?

The e is added to the spelling in place of a non-umlauted u on it's own, to add the y effect needed for a correct pronunciation

So, Myool-er, and not Mool-a

:smile:

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
A9w_rSfCcAAEiAv.png:large

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Playing against more than one other team a season who can compete with Barca?

So he'd be swopping a two-horse race for a three horse-race?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The e is added to the spelling in place of a non-umlauted u on it's own, to add the y effect needed for a correct pronunciation

So, Myool-er, and not Mool-a

:smile:

I'm not convinced by this.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I'm not convinced by this.

Wikipedia:

In other languages that do not have the letter as part of the regular alphabet or in limited character sets such as ASCII, U-umlaut is frequently replaced with the two-letter combination "ue".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here