Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think the coke part is irrelevant in this discussion. Not like you become a better footballer from being coked up all the time (though perhaps it could possibly help you in some indivudal game).

Interesting by the way that no one has mentioned any defenders here. Wonder what it would take for a defender (or goalie or defensive midfielder) to be a part of the discussion.
Franco Baresi.

The best defender ever and a brilliant distributor of the ball.

Footballers even now always mention him as the greatest.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think Messi may be the GOAT, but perhaps he has been allowed to do so. The likes of Pele and Marsdona did not have the protection afforded from modern referees as Leonado has had.
Who’s Leonado?

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Personal favourite is Johan Cruyff. From age 18 at little known Ajax, with his coach they changed football forever.

GOAT … Messi is the equal of anyone. Only those that didn’t have access to CL and La Liga football missed two decades of genius.
My favourite part of the Cruyff career is the end.

Ajax deemed him not good enough anymore so didn't offer him a new contract which angered him. He then went to Feyenoord and won the league and cup double with them instead, winning Dutch footballer of the year in the process.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Zinedine Zidane or Ronaldinho, two of the most amazing players to watch.
And that headbutt is unreal.
Ronaldinho isn't even in the debate for best player of all time.

He's the greatest entertainer but as an overall player he wasn't good enough.

Zidane was also a bit of a hot and cold player, he had so many good moments it overwrites the times he was off form.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Ajax deemed him not good enough anymore so didn't offer him a new contract which angered him. He then went to Feyenoord and won the league and cup double with them instead, winning Dutch footballer of the year in the process.
Everything Cruijff is fantastic.

Like this thing:

While he was contemplating his next career move, Cruijff took a temporary gig as a technical advisor for then Ajax manager Leo Beenhakker. Against Twente they were down 3-2 in half-time and playing shite football. Cruijff walks down from the stands (8.25 into the video), sits next to Beenhakker and tells him what to do.
Ajax then wins the game 5-3.

Typical Cruijff...

(although should be said that Cruijff admitted afterwards that it wasn't a nice move, and that his advice (to sub Tscheu La Ling) wasn't a great one as he ended up doing two assists.... but lets not ruin a good story with these details)

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Ronaldinho isn't even in the debate for best player of all time.

He's the greatest entertainer but as an overall player he wasn't good enough.

Zidane was also a bit of a hot and cold player, he had so many good moments it overwrites the times he was off form.
Agree both great, but not in the discussion for the GOAT for me. Throw Neymar into that category as well.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Nothing screams “lazy journalism” like trying to compare players from across eras, it totally ignores the massive differences in training, nutrition, fitness, opposition tactics, pitch condition, ball condition etc.

Messi is undoubtedly one of the greatest. But we will never know for certain how he compares with the other contenders as they all played at different times.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

The mid 60’s bit is interesting too. This skinny little kid was unplayable. In a European club tie he single handedly destroyed a great Liverpool team.

Last edited:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Likewise, Messi has carried himself with grace and dignity throughout his career, while Ronaldo has had a series of blemishes on his character. He exudes arrogance, perhaps an arrogance that is an integral part of his success story, but nevertheless it detracts from his greatness.
And that's it for me. It elevates Messi far above Ronaldo as a player.

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
Maradona for me. I’d put Messi above Ronaldo now, after yesterday he’s clear.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Nothing screams “lazy journalism” like trying to compare players from across eras, it totally ignores the massive differences in training, nutrition, fitness, opposition tactics, pitch condition, ball condition etc.

Messi is undoubtedly one of the greatest. But we will never know for certain how he compares with the other contenders as they all played at different times.
Another irrational view is that great players past “wouldn’t have been able to live with the far superior modern athletes”.

Playing in their 20’s in this era, they would get the same conditioning, sports science, dietary information and sports psychology. Augmenting their footballing genius.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Another irrational view is that great players past “wouldn’t have been able to live with the far superior modern athletes”.

Playing in their 20’s in this era, they would get the same conditioning, sports science, dietary information and sports psychology. Augmenting their footballing genius.
Some of the geniuses of the past wouldn't make it today though... which is frankly a loss. There is very, very little room to have any type of eccentric personality in todays football. Good luck getting George Best or Paul Gascoigne or Maradona to wake up at 7 every morning, do some dull but efficient training sessions, rest all afternoon and get in bed by 21 seven days a week.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Great post and so true.

Pele would be unplayable

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Exactly. I prefer to enjoy the great players when they come along, 15 years from now there’ll be someone new being compared to the greats too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here