Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Messi GOAT?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Lauded by Jim Proudfoot on Talk Sport yesterday as the greatest player to ever grace a football pitch?

After the shenanigins at United, Piers Morgan etc, clearly his legacy is intact unlike Ronaldo's but is he better than Pele, Cryuff or Maradona?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
My personal favourite player of all time is Zinedine Zidane.

But how do you compare someone like Messi to people like Di Stefano and Puskas, who were playing before I had any awareness of Football, and I'm 70 next Birthday.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Technically speaking, yes he is better than all of those players... thats what happens when you have access to professional training, nutritionists and what not from the age of 3 or something.

Always difficult to compare between eras since the conditions have changed so much. Difficult to compare Messi with Pele, difficult to compare Pele with Josef Bican and so forth.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Pele, Maradona, Messi - different players from different eras.

I don't like to compare them, just think of them as three wonderful footballers.

Pele won three WCs - and scored 77 international goals in 92 games - but perhaps international football wasn't as competitive in the late 50s / early 60s? Also Pele played (with the exception of a stint in USA) all his football at Santos in Brazil. Maradona and Messi did it at the highest level in Europe too.

As I say, different eras.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park

I don't like to compare them, just think of them as three wonderful footballers.

Pele won three WCs - and scored 77 international goals in 92 games - but perhaps international football wasn't as competitive in the late 50s / early 60s? Also Pele played (with the exception of a stint in USA) all his football at Santos in Brazil. Maradona and Messi did it at the highest level in Europe too.

Different pitches, rules and rule interpretations too. And no VAR.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Personal favourite is Johan Cruyff. From age 18 at little known Ajax, with his coach they changed football forever.

GOAT … Messi is the equal of anyone. Only those that didn’t have access to CL and La Liga football missed two decades of genius.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

From the almost 100 friendlies Peles Santos played in Europe, stomping most of the opponents, I don't think any European league was better than the Brazilian league in the 60s.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I think you can only really compare players once their careers are over. Messi is almost there, Ronaldo seems definitely there. I think at this point that Messi has overtaken Ronaldo, who is overstaying his welcome. Messi is still an insane talent and the most natural footballer there has been. Nobody is going to match his longevity or his success over the last 15 years.

That other Argentinian was an incredible player, but a dirty rotten cheater.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Zinedine Zidane or Ronaldinho, two of the most amazing players to watch.
And that headbutt is unreal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here