Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Message from club today...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That makes no sense. Just as easy to sign up with multiple accounts under different email addresses. No bother to them, they don't need to check all the emails. It is however a pain for me, as I don't want to sign in to my kids' emails just to check BHA news, and they don't even use email.

Why not just read the emails the club sends to you then?

And, if you really feel the need, spend 30 seconds setting up a forwarding filter from your kids' email account to your own.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
But, how do you receive these club emails? I've been a STH for the last 20 years and never get any eComms from the club

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The club didn't say it has anything to do with GDPR did they? It's just been people on here guessing at the reasons for the change without actually reading the email properly.

No [MENTION=1958]Gazwag[/MENTION] did. My original reply was to him.

If you control (for want of a better description) your son's interactivity with the club, as I do (and I imagine most parents do) why wouldn't you just set up GuinnessBoysSon@hotmail.com, or whatever, and just carry on as you have been?

I'm not sure I ever have to login as my kids anyway, as they are F&F-ed with me, so I just buy tickets etc when logged in as me.

Agreed. It's a PITA in as much as it's yet another household account and password to remember but no biggie. The club will now also be sending its marketing messages to effectively a dead account for most kids on the system. For me it sits alongside bottle tops and flasks as arguably necessary but guaranteed to suck another small percentage of joy out of life. Oh well.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Surely the point of this is to get away from the system where you need to know your fan number to log in. Which is a pain if you only log in occasionally- you won’t know it by heart so need to keep it somewhere to refer to.

You do know your email address, so it’s less hassle to use that. As per 99% of websites.
So you have the same password for all sites. Interesting.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
To try and stop people signing up multiple times under assumed names to resell tickets to City fans, I would imagine.

I take it this doesn't apply to people with anxiety.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Prevents the risk of massive fines under GDPR - the club are currently sending emails containing financial data to multiple accounts which they cant do. At the moment me, my wife and my daughter are registered on one email address. When they send out season ticket renewal info I get all three emails which should not happen. My wife could complain that the club have sent this information to me when it is private to her.
Nonsense. The club ask your wife where she'd like the information sent, and she gives them your email address, and they you think she has grounds to complain when they do what she's asked? Obviously she can have her own email on the account if she chooses, but it's annoying that we're losing that choice.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I get that.

But if it's being used for logon ids then it has nothing to do with GDPR right? Also, right now, I get the club marketing emails that are intended for my son because his account is on my email address. I don't want these suddenly going to him. Is there a logon email address and a contact email address that can be separate?
It could be related to GDPR. Having email address as the login means it is unique. Contact to that email address that may contain bank details will go to the correct email address Some systems don't like emailing an email address more than once with the same email. For DD change notifications, this is not an option so this ensures that every account should get an individual email. It also means that there is no risk of sending details to the email address of someone else. Whilst there shouldn't be an issue with you getting an email with your wife's details, there will always be one person who complains, even if they chose to use their address for their wife's account. Maybe a messy divorce and they forgot to change contact details. You would be amazed how many people will complain and how many quote GDPR and the ICO - often erroneously.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why not just read the emails the club sends to you then?
Because I don't get the same emails.

And, if you really feel the need, spend 30 seconds setting up a forwarding filter from your kids' email account to your own.
Is that an option for every email account?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Agreed. It's a PITA in as much as it's yet another household account and password to remember but no biggie. The club will now also be sending its marketing messages to effectively a dead account for most kids on the system. For me it sits alongside bottle tops and flasks as arguably necessary but guaranteed to suck another small percentage of joy out of life. Oh well.

Just do the + trick, if you use gmail - https://gizmodo.com/how-to-use-the-infinite-number-of-email-addresses-gmail-1609458192

If you don't use gmail, just set up forwarding from the child account to your account. Once you've done it, that's it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I can sort of see why. My parents have come to a few games, so I've registered them, and my 3 kids all on the same email. All the marketing for tickets for my mum and dad comes to me, and I just have them auto deleted with a rule.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
This is becoming a bit of a problem with older people, (not only the Albion) this believeing everyone has the internet and email accounts. I have two STH friends on my friends and family list who fall into this category and I deal with any ticket issues that come up. Not sure what happens now?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This is becoming a bit of a problem with older people, (not only the Albion) this believeing everyone has the internet and email accounts. I have two STH friends on my friends and family list who fall into this category and I deal with any ticket issues that come up. Not sure what happens now?

Just do the + trick, if you use gmail - https://gizmodo.com/how-to-use-the-infinite-number-of-email-addresses-gmail-1609458192

If you don't use gmail, just set up another email address for them and then set up forwarding from that account to your own account.

Then you just carry on as you have been, logging in as you and buying tickets for them as F&F.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007

If you don't use gmail, just set up another email address for them and then set up forwarding from that account to your own account.

Then you just carry on as you have been, logging in as you and buying tickets for them as F&F.

So basically I have to set up new email accounts for my 2 boys.
I won't be able to just login with my email address and buy tickets for me and them as usual (linked via F+F)?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So basically I have to set up new email accounts for my 2 boys.
I won't be able to just login with my email address and buy tickets for me and them as usual (linked via F+F)?

Did you miss this bit: "Then you just carry on as you have been, logging in as you and buying tickets for them as F&F." ?

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
Prevents the risk of massive fines under GDPR - the club are currently sending emails containing financial data to multiple accounts which they cant do. At the moment me, my wife and my daughter are registered on one email address. When they send out season ticket renewal info I get all three emails which should not happen. My wife could complain that the club have sent this information to me when it is private to her.
salt hur outt

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
The club didn't say it has anything to do with GDPR did they? It's just been people on here guessing at the reasons for the change without actually reading the email properly.

If you control (for want of a better description) your son's interactivity with the club, as I do (and I imagine most parents do) why wouldn't you just set up GuinnessBoysSon@hotmail.com, or whatever, and just carry on as you have been?

I'm not sure I ever have to login as my kids anyway, as they are F&F-ed with me, so I just buy tickets etc when logged in as me.

This.

This will not effect me as my two sons already have their own email addresses.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here