Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Message from club today...

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
A number of email systems allow you to add suffixes to email addresses by adding '+' and the suffix to the address. For example if I was seagulls@gmail.com I could send messages to seagulls+child1@gmail.com and seagulls+child2@gmail.com and they would all come through to seagulls@gmail.com so problem solved.

Obviously test this out for your particular email provider before you register anything with it.

wow-this-is-amazing.jpg

Mind.Blown.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Makes life easier for me, can never remember my fan number when trying to logon to the ticket site.

However i see where people are coming from when it comes to Childrens accounts, how many children under the age of say 8 have an email address? Which makes it slightly irratating.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Strange - I use BIG companies, far bigger than the club, ( Amazon and GiffGaff to name but two ) with which my children have accounts but my email address is used for each of their accounts. What makes the Albion so special to need unique email addresses ? Ridiculous.

This. More overkill by a club becoming more out of touch with its fans every day.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
This. More overkill by a club becoming more out of touch with its fans every day.

Prevents the risk of massive fines under GDPR - the club are currently sending emails containing financial data to multiple accounts which they cant do. At the moment me, my wife and my daughter are registered on one email address. When they send out season ticket renewal info I get all three emails which should not happen. My wife could complain that the club have sent this information to me when it is private to her.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Prevents the risk of massive fines under GDPR - the club are currently sending emails containing financial data to multiple accounts which they cant do. At the moment me, my wife and my daughter are registered on one email address. When they send out season ticket renewal info I get all three emails which should not happen. My wife could complain that the club have sent this information to me when it is private to her.

Sounds plausible. So why can't the club just tell us that. It's not rocket surgery is it?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I bleeding hate being told things are changing without any logical reason or explanation given for it.

From the email:

"We are planning that this new log in system means you will be able to use the same log in for ticketing, membership, shop and MyAlbion TV for the 2019/20 season."

Which looks like a logical reason and an explanation.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
It is being sold as only needing one log in detail for tickets, shop and TV.

What they haven't told us, is that no doubt new passwords will be required, and that the Ticket system will fall over when the Watford tickets are released.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

I really don't know enough about GDPR. I do know that on the client based software system I support "email address" isn't a unique field or a mandatory one because of the need to hold details for children and OAPs. So there must be an awful lot of companies out there in breach? Also I do know that consent to hold my kids' data has to come from me until they reach 13 (both of mine are under). The club is going to have to be careful what it sends to email addresses that belong to an under-13 account. I don't think they should be writing directly to them.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
The club is going to have to be careful what it sends to email addresses that belong to an under-13 account. I don't think they should be writing directly to them.

I agree. My son has an under 10 season ticket and I set up a separate email address for his account. Surprises me the club email a very young boy directly so often. Obviously there is nothing inappropriate but seems strange to be sending marketing emails to someone they know is under 10!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I really don't know enough about GDPR. I do know that on the client based software system I support "email address" isn't a unique field or a mandatory one because of the need to hold details for children and OAPs. So there must be an awful lot of companies out there in breach? Also I do know that consent to hold my kids' data has to come from me until they reach 13 (both of mine are under). The club is going to have to be careful what it sends to email addresses that belong to an under-13 account. I don't think they should be writing directly to them.

Email address is being used as the login ID. Login IDs need to be unique. I'm not sure this one is complicated.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

GDPR is for the mangement of personal data - just as long as the club have asked someone to use their data ( and said what for ), as provided by said person, then they are at no risk. So if I provide my email address for my childs account and tick the relevent boxes then the club are safe. It always grinds my gears when companies use the 'data protection' excuse when conversing with customers when most don't even know the rules. Note - I'm not suggesting the club are doing this.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
It's quite clearly a new backend database system where your fan ID is your entire customer account, club shop, Seagulls TV, ticket website etc. One email address per account/person.

A full customer profile which should improve the club's marketing quite considerably.

No big deal really is it, just set up a new email address for any kids you have.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
To try and stop people signing up multiple times under assumed names to resell tickets to City fans, I would imagine.

This. Assume by the timing it's a tightening up by the club of security measures in reponse to that little tit that just got banned for 5 years for touting v Man City using other people's accounts.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Email address is being used as the login ID. Login IDs need to be unique. I'm not sure this one is complicated.

I get that.

But if it's being used for logon ids then it has nothing to do with GDPR right? Also, right now, I get the club marketing emails that are intended for my son because his account is on my email address. I don't want these suddenly going to him. Is there a logon email address and a contact email address that can be separate?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
This smells like a poor attempt at weeding out touts, but if they think that creating additional free gmail accounts is beyond touts then it's a sorry business.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
It makes things simpler. At the moment you need fan number, password and delivery email all to be correct. Now you will need just email and password and it fits into standard protocols for verifying the email address and resetting forgotten passwords.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I get that.

But if it's being used for logon ids then it has nothing to do with GDPR right? Also, right now, I get the club marketing emails that are intended for my son because his account is on my email address. I don't want these suddenly going to him. Is there a logon email address and a contact email address that can be separate?

The club didn't say it has anything to do with GDPR did they? It's just been people on here guessing at the reasons for the change without actually reading the email properly.

If you control (for want of a better description) your son's interactivity with the club, as I do (and I imagine most parents do) why wouldn't you just set up GuinnessBoysSon@hotmail.com, or whatever, and just carry on as you have been?

I'm not sure I ever have to login as my kids anyway, as they are F&F-ed with me, so I just buy tickets etc when logged in as me.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
To try and stop people signing up multiple times under assumed names to resell tickets to City fans, I would imagine.
That makes no sense. Just as easy to sign up with multiple accounts under different email addresses. No bother to them, they don't need to check all the emails. It is however a pain for me, as I don't want to sign in to my kids' emails just to check BHA news, and they don't even use email.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here