Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Merry Christmas North Stand Chatters.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Well, jolly seasons greetings to all.

Terry Connor

Oct 21, 2022
Seasonal Greetings to the Albion family.

Peace and goodwill to all. For one day only, even to those south and west London eejits.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Merry Christmas everybody.
May need help later on. Mum has invited herself over for Christmas Day, much to the anoyance of the wife, who has gone on strike. I've had to do all the shopping and now the cooking today. Been working on the timings with a spreadsheet printed out and receipes from BBC good cook and now I cant work out why the wife starts cooking two days in advance. Beef just been put in the slow cooker, turkey crown (yes, I cheated) cooks in 2.5 hours. 6 veg, 3 meat, pigs in blankets and roast spuds due to be ready at 2 pm. Beef needed 125 ml of white wine, was it too early to take a swig? Looking forwards to making the gravy which includes a lot of red!!
Wish me luck, now where's the sherry for the trifle?

Terry Connor

Oct 21, 2022
May need help later on. Mum has invited herself over for Christmas Day, much to the anoyance of the wife, who has gone on strike. I've had to do all the shopping and now the cooking today. Been working on the timings with a spreadsheet printed out and receipes from BBC good cook and now I cant work out why the wife starts cooking two days in advance. Beef just been put in the slow cooker, turkey crown (yes, I cheated) cooks in 2.5 hours. 6 veg, 3 meat, pigs in blankets and roast spuds due to be ready at 2 pm. Beef needed 125 ml of white wine, was it too early to take a swig? Looking forwards to making the gravy which includes a lot of red!!
Good luck fella! Beef in white wine, that's a new one to me....

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Happy Xmas everyone, peace on earth

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Good luck fella! Beef in white wine, that's a new one to me....

Method​

• STEP 1
    First, seal the meat to add flavour as well as prevent scum forming in your slow cooker. Simply heat the oil in a frying pan, then fry the beef on all sides until browned (if you have a multi-cooker you may be able to seal the beef using the sear/sauté function). Transfer the beef to a plate, then add the wine to the pan and scrape the sticky bits off the bottom. Set the liquor aside.

• STEP 2
    Put the carrots, onions, rosemary, bay leaves and garlic cloves at the bottom of the slow cooker pan and sit the beef on top. Pour in the reserved cooking liquor and stock, then add a good pinch of salt and a few cracks of freshly ground black pepper. Heat on high for 4 hrs or low for 6 hrs until the beef is cooked and tender. Remove from the liquor, cover and leave to rest for 30 mins.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Help required

Basically we were off to my dads for xmas day. But he's come down unwell. He'll be fine, but we've had to cancel the trip. So we're staying at home, but in expectation of us going away, i've got bugger all food in.

My question is, do you know of any petrol stations or anything like that open in Brighton and Hove, where I could at least pick up something? The internet isn't being a lot of use.

Cheers in advance of any local knowledge on this

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Hunter Gatherer
Chef
Facilitator / Mediator

Some day you have ahead, good luck!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Method​

• STEP 1
    First, seal the meat to add flavour as well as prevent scum forming in your slow cooker. Simply heat the oil in a frying pan, then fry the beef on all sides until browned (if you have a multi-cooker you may be able to seal the beef using the sear/sauté function). Transfer the beef to a plate, then add the wine to the pan and scrape the sticky bits off the bottom. Set the liquor aside.

• STEP 2
    Put the carrots, onions, rosemary, bay leaves and garlic cloves at the bottom of the slow cooker pan and sit the beef on top. Pour in the reserved cooking liquor and stock, then add a good pinch of salt and a few cracks of freshly ground black pepper. Heat on high for 4 hrs or low for 6 hrs until the beef is cooked and tender. Remove from the liquor, cover and leave to rest for 30 mins.
Easy fella! Youv'e got this job every year from now on, if your not careful. Best over roast the spuds so as to not make your missus feel inferior, and encourage it to be at least a joint effort next year.
Merry Christmas.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Good luck mate.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Help required

Basically we were off to my dads for xmas day. But he's come down unwell. He'll be fine, but we've had to cancel the trip. So we're staying at home, but in expectation of us going away, i've got bugger all food in.

My question is, do you know of any petrol stations or anything like that open in Brighton and Hove, where I could at least pick up something? The internet isn't being a lot of use.

Search for mini markets open

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Help required

Distant from you, but the BP/M&S in Findon is open today, so I suspect anything similar around Brighton will be too.

Is the one at the bottom of Mill Road a BP/M&S too? Failing that, there's one just up the A23 a bit isn't there?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here